23 - 27 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3BH, United Kingdom
Travelocity Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 54% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Apex Waterloo Place Hotel

Fantastic, but where's my duck?

by TripAdvisor Member ajbsh

My Husband and I are big fans of Apex hotels, having stayed in most of them at one time or other. We were informed by email that the Apex Waterloo Place was opening in March and we got a fantastic deal on our room. We stayed for the weekend. The hotel is situated about a 5 minute walk from Waverley Station, and is literally round the corner from the St James Shopping centre. When we arrived, the reception staff greeted us warmly and, as a complete surprise they had upgraded our standard double room to a superior double at no charge to us! We were extremely chuffed! Room was fantastic, very big, huge comfy bed, bathroom was lovely. Telly huge! Our room looked out onto the back of the hotel, and whilst we could still here the hustle and bustle of Edinburgh we did not mind this at all. There were teething problems in the hotel - room service forgot to put our order to the kitchen, but the staff were so lovely and rectified the situation so quickly, it was no problem. Room service was delicious, so it was worth the wait. The staff here are first class, every single one of them bent over backwards to give outstanding service, nothing is too much trouble for them. Gillian at Reception is a wee gem, so friendly and helpful, and it is thanks to her and all the wonderful staff that we will be returning to the Apex at Waterloo Place on our next trip to Edinburgh.
PS - Apex Hotels always give you a wee rubber duck in the bathroom to take home, but for some reason the Apex Waterloo Place doesn't! I was hoping to get a little friend for my other Apex ducks ;-)

We got a duck :)

by TripAdvisor Member Nelskii

Just returned from a very enjoyable weekend at the newly opened Apex Waterloo place. Checked in on Friday and at 3.30 the room wasn't ready but the lovely reception staff were very apologetic and to be fair it was very quickly resolved. Our first room was quite "compact" but still very nice - think Malmaison type deco. We had a little chat with the lovely staff on reception and were offered another room for the second night and a free drink for our disappointment :) Our second room was much bigger and the telly is something to behold!!
Ok so the downsides are the shower is very temperamental (in both rooms) hot one second freezing next, the view outside in both rooms was not quite what we had hoped for - think walls and bright security lights. The upsides are the staff - what a lovely bunch of friendly happy people who made our stay very very special by going out of their way to make it so (special mention to Jo for her particularly exceptional customer service) the deco is lovely the beds are squishy and comfy and the duck makes it all worth while!!
Oh and if you get the chance pop to Howies restaurant next door - its gorgeous.

Good but still teething issues

by TripAdvisor Member Lagosbound

Back yesterday from 2 days at the Apex Waterloo at the very good opening offer price. Arrived early Saturday morning about 10 and was too early to check in. Was allowed to leave bags and mobile no and got a call about 12.30 saying room ready ( Had been advised we were on priority room cleaning list!!).

First impression of room was it was small and a bit cramped ( were we the only ones submitting a review not to be upgraded?? ). However stylishly fitted out with large comfortable bed and wall mounted 42'' LCD TV. Did notice that we had a shower/wet room only with no bath despite what the website states of both in a room.

Other teething issues were only 2 coathangers and no glasses for water-however calls to reception provided a polite and prompt response. There were issues with the plasterwork and the shower floor but these defects will probably be picked up by the Builder/Hotel. Similarly the Spa was lovely but no hooks/hairdryer etc.

The Staff however, especially the Receptionists, were excellent all round-always poite and friendly.

I can't comment on the food as we didn't eat there but the Bar although very cool and trendy was a bit expensive with no real atmosphere. However, to assure a previous contributor the famous Apex Duck was in the Shower and is now in our collection!

In summary a nice Hotel with the usual opening problems you would expect. If pushed, however I would still say I preferred the Apex City but I can see why so many are raving about it!

Lovely Hotel but definately needs finishing off!

by TripAdvisor Member hpcelery

I stayed fot 4 nights and the staff kindly let me check in early which was a welcome relief after travelling for 7 hours. This hotel will definately be a gem once it is finished but there is a way to go till everything is perfect. My room unfortunately was at the back of the hotel looking out onto the neighbouring building site and I felt the net curtains where not thick enough. The builders could clearly see into my room as standing at the door to the room I could clearly see them. I therefore had to close the curtains constantly. The room itself although the basic double was large with every facility you could want for and apart from the builders being very noisy in the morning it was very quiet at night.
I would say that given time this hotel would be worth the price.

Superb service from great staff

by TripAdvisor Member stevieboyUk

Stayed here for a weekend break under their special "just opened" offer rate. The location is probably one of the best in Edinburgh - only 2o seconds from Princess Street but on a quiet road. Check in was swift and efficient from excellent staff. Our first room was not suitable as we did not have a bath, but within 5 minutes of calling reception a key for a new room was brought up. This room was great but there were no net curtains. A phone call from a manager to ask us how our new room was was closely followed by a visit and an apology. He offered to move us but we could live with it and the free bottle of wine at dinner was a nice touch.
We had dinner at Elliots and it was absolutely fantastic with well presented and cooked food and service from some very well trained staff.
We used the facilities once. There were apology posters in the changing rooms stating they were not quite ready (ie no hairdryers or hooks anywhere)It was a strange set up with a walk along a small corridoor and up some steps to the pool. Very nicely done though. Two things in here though were a bit of a pain - the plastic chairs do not lend themselves to relaxation and there was piped music in the sauna and steam room. That was not good when you wanted to relax.
Our room was so new I would not be surprised that we were the first to stay in it. It was great with all the standard Apex touches. Very nice. One surprising thing - the room was so quiet even though we had neighbours we did not hear a single thing. So no cheap walls here!
Check out was a breeze.
All in all a great stay with superb well trained staff. We think this is what sets the hotel apart from a lot of others

new hotel in centre

by TripAdvisor Member norman100

stayed for 2 nights, hotel only been open for a couple of weeks. Central location five minutes from train station. The room was not ready when we arrived at 1.30pm had to leave our bags and go into town. Room was ok, bit small in size, but big bed and big TV. Nice bathroom, was clean with being brand new. Good breakfast lots of choice. Used the swimming pool, but had to go down to reception first to sign in and get a pass key and locker key, in my swimming trunks! Overall brand new hotel, friendly staff, good central location and would stay again if went back to Edinburgh.

Amazing service and a lovely hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Janeo72

We had a wonderful Friday night stay in the Apex hotel for my birthday and all in all in was great. The service could not be faulted, everyone was so helpful and nothing was ever a bother, from sourcing a toothbrush to ordering taxis! The room was lovely and clean with lovely decor and a big TV. It was on the small side, but we were the first to stay in the room and it had everything you needed. The power of the wet room style shower was amazing! We would definitely stay here again as it's so central, well priced and the service is worth returning for!

Great hotel, shame about the breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member RandomBint

Positives: Amazing location, possibly the best going: perfectly placed for both new town and old, 3mn walk from Waverley Station (bus tours, airport bus drop off etc). Fab restaurants along Thistle St and Frederick St and Brougham St all easy strolling distance, as are the ghost tours and castle, but none of the grot and tack of the Old town and drunken Saturday screeching of the main drags. Rooms spotless (as they should be especially given it's only just opened), and comfy. Spa nice (though crowded if more than 2 people are already in it). Staff friendly and welcoming.

Niggles: weird lift (use the stairs), few teething troubles e.g. shower temperamental, building work still ongoing, curtains don't fit.

Negatives: absolutely terrible breakfast: buffet options of sweetened kiddy cereals, soggy criossants and cheeese squares you could tile a room with. Cooked options pre-prepared, microwaved porrridge, eggs coated with orange (sauce?) - couldn't face the full cooked one after all that. Queues out of the door at peak periods, and out of food by 10am. For a 4* hotel, this really lets the place down - I've had (much) better at average B&Bs.

We stayed on an opening offer of £69 + £10 bolt-on breakkie (pre-paid or we'd have gone to one of the excellent Italian caffès in the area instead). At under £100 it's very decent value - more than that and I would consider one of the others in the vicinity. Breakfast aside, we enjoyed our stay and would generally recommend it.

Modern - great location

by TripAdvisor Member TerryBKentEngland

Stayed here April 3/5 - friendly reception - had room on 10th floor which was great as could see over roof tops - bar area nice and staff very friendly - only had breakfast in restaurant - great selection - food okay but not great - location I thought was perfect as just off the busy area but everything within walking distance - all in all ideal for couple nights stay

Friendly staff are not enough...this should be a much better hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ARDNAHOE

Edinburgh's tourist appeal has led to a lot of so-so hotels. This latest edition of the Apex chain offered some prospect of an improvement being situated centrally in a highly interesting building. First impressions are important and the front desk (as a number of reviewers have noted) are very friendly though check-in/check-out could run a little more smoothly. My "superior" room was on the top (10th) floor and I was told would offer views over the Forth river. I was on a business trip in my own country so views were not my main interest - if I had been a tourist I would have been very disappointed ; my view was mainly of the very close very noisy major building site (work kicked off 730 sharp) immediately behind the hotel. Try and bag a room looking on to Waterloo Place. It is busy with buses etc in daytime but much more quiet in evening and through the night. I had to try and get a room shift at 1am because of street noise at the back of the building. The noise insulation between rooms is good but the attic style windows either were badly fitted or poor quality. Good, comfortable bed with comfy mattress and linens. Room space is small but adequate. Bathroom was fresh and pleasant with a big shower area only let down by the feeble (tho' trendy) shower head. Bar is pleasant space but a cocktail bar that cannot make a vodka martini might suggest a bit more training is required. The spa is unfinished, the sauna was not working, the pool is new but very small and the Muzak in the steam room means you don't tarry long. The men's locker room was very small with two white plastic chairs, no costume bags and no dryers. I'm not sure how it will cope on full occupancy. Don't leave valuables, I found my locker room key opened a locker that was not mine. Restaurant looks much better than the adjacent Howie's. Lifts are slow and there seems to be no service lift so you often wait quite a while as staff flit between floors. Free WIFI is welcome. On complaining I got a big and apologetic discount but I would rather have had a good night's sleep in the v comfy kingsize.

in the garden at Tarquair Housein the garden at Tarquair House

Nice view on  the way to the chapelNice view on the way to the chapel

Approach to Edinburgh CastleApproach to Edinburgh Castle

view from over the Moorfoot hillsview from over the Moorfoot hills

Cost of living / Quality of life

by buckrodgers

I would love to move to London but think I am priced out based on all conversations I've had.

I was wondering what the cost of living in Edinburgh is like (rent, going out, food) and how foreigners who are not students generally acclimate to the city and its people?

Thanks.

RE: Cost of living / Quality of life

by hawkhead

While not as expensive as London, accommodation in Edinburgh is very costly. Of course, like anywhere else, you can find cheap places but in general, the quality and location of the place is relfected in the price. Utlities are also expensive. When my son was at university there, he was the odd man out amongst all his mates in that he was "local" i.e. from Glasgow! The rest hailed from England and further flung places.

Comments