Barcelo Edinburgh Carlton Hotel

Hotels.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 34% more and rated 11% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about Barcelo Edinburgh Carlton Hotel

Gr8 location, poor standard of bedroom!

On arrival at the hotel my friend and I were generally impressed. The reception area was very clean and the staff welcoming. On route to our room we were concerned about a damp/smokey smell which seemed to worsen the further up the corridor. The room itself smelled of damp and had a large damp area next to the window and all down the wall. The wallpaper was peeling off and mildew was clearly visible. We felt that considering this hotel was classed as 4* this should not have been so. For £140 per room per night I would have expected more, or at least the standard of room to have been better. The decor was also very drab. I would certainly consider other hotels in the capital before booking with the Carlton.

Don't waste your money

by TripAdvisor Member Scot_Wha's_Away

My companion summed it up: there is no way this would qualify as a four star hotel in the US. They've just carried out a multi-million pound refurbishment but it didn't run to providing air conditioning in many of the rooms, and ours was one that missed out. I know it's Scotland, but even here the summer months are not pleasant in a stuffy room above city center traffic. On pleading for an air conditioned room we were told that none was available and provided with a table top fan instead! Overall, the service was dreadful. We hung the Do Not Disturb notice on the bedroom door; the first morning we were phoned at 11am by housekeeping "just wondering when we'd like the room made up". The second morning, a Saturday, the maid ignored the sign completely and walked in on us still in bed. This was all the more irritating because the entire hotel had already been woken by a fire alarm at 7.50am. I asked at checkout (ah, relief...checkout) what had caused the false alarm and was told vaguely that it was "an incident in a guest bedroom". No hotel liability or possibility of any refund there, then. At night the treatment is positively insulting. Arriving back around midnight, you find the front doors locked and instructions to press a buzzer. I did this and held up my key for the lone receptionist to see, but that wasn't enough. With the doors still locked we were obliged to give our name and room number over an intercom, then stand in the street while the receptionist typed these into a computer to verify our identity. Now security's one thing, but in the US, where the need is far more pressing than in Edinburgh, they get by with a polite glance at your key as you approach the elevators; the idea that in New York you'd be made to wait in the street outside a hotel of this class is unthinkable. In two weeks in Scotland, staying in all types of accommodation, this was far and away our worst experience. The hotel's prime North Bridge location means its rates are sky high, but it simply isn't worth it. You'll get a bigger room and friendlier service for a lot less money a little further out. The Fairmont group operates some of the greatest hotels in the world; the Carlton is an embarrassment to them.

Great hotel - especially for the Tattoo in August!

by TripAdvisor Member ZonaP

The Carlton Hotel in Edinburgh is wonderful! It's located right on the Royal Mile, about 1/4 mile from the Edinburgh Castle entrance - perfect for anyone attending the Edinburgh Military Tattoo (like me!).

The rooms are nicely appointed, with hairdryers in each room, a minibar, a large bathroom and decent sized television (maybe about 27 inches).

This hotel is very modern and the restaurant at the hotel is also quite nice with good breakfasts each morning (buffet style). The staff is nice and very accommodating to everyone, including those with disabilities, personal preferences, etc.

The hotel is right in the center of Edinburgh and perfect for anyone looking to explore and walk around. But as mentioned earlier, perfect for the Tattoo.

If I'm ever back in Edinburgh, I would jump at the chance to stay at the Carlton again. 2 thumbs up!!

Nice Hotel but take your earplugs

I got this room at a discounted price so didn't pay the full asking price and don't think it's worth paying the price they adveritse in the hotel for a double room.

I found the reception staff pleasant, room was large and had a nice bathroom, there is a nice reception and the best thing about the hotel is it's location.

The downside for me is that I am a light sleeper and do carry earplugs when staying away from home. Our room was above North Bridge Road and it was noisy, mostly traffic noise. The problem is that there wasn't any double glazing.

Breakfast wasn't part of the package so I can't comment on that.

We did however use the porters to park our car in a secure location which was £15, this was peace of mind that the car was safe. The porters collected the car and returned it to you at the hotel which was great.

Would stay there again if price was good but would take my trusted earplugs just in case!

Great location, average hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dukesy33

Stayed at the Carlton Hotel for 2 nights last week on a business trip. Valet parking expensive at £15 per night (also had to sit outside in my car for 20 mins before I could check in as concierge were unavailable - due to a fire alarm). The hotel location is excellent - ideal for shops, restuarants and sightseeing.

Rooms were a good size - as were bathrooms. The hotel decor was average/bland (reception is very nice though). Rooms were clean, but windows were filthy! The bedroom was directly above the main road and it was quite noisy during the night with constant traffic - you definitely need to bring earplugs. There's also a small pool and well equipped gym. Staff were not exactly pleasant and friendly, but there were no problems.

I paid £60 per night for the room. Considering the location I think this is quite good value although I wouldn't pay much more for a hotel of this standard.

After reading some of the previous reviews, I was beginning to regret booking the Carlton... however on arrival it really wasn't that bad. £60 a night for central Edinburgh is ok - plus there's so much to do nearby you really won't need to spend much time in your room.

Never again..

by TripAdvisor Member Aoifes

I stayed in the Carlton for the first time in June of 2003. I have to say it was wonderful.. lovely hotel, friendly staff. So, we decided to return for New Year's 2004 (just got back yesterday). To say I was dissapointed would be an understatement. The reception of the Hotel is beautiful but when you are greeted by rude staff, the hotel's good points quickly go down the drain. When we arrived at the floor of our room we were greeted by the stalest smell. It was quite unappealing. When we entered our room the first thing we noticed was the curtains were all falling down. I reported this, and was told maintenance would be up the following day, but they didn't arrive during our three night stay. The day we arrived I requested a late check out (only 2 hours later than the specified 11am) when I called on our day of departure just to check this was still ok, I was told I had never made the request at all and no member of staff would have allowed this... eventually the manager spoke to me to say they had actually said this was ok. I really loved this hotel the first time I stayed there, but I will never return ever again.

Nicely surprised

Having read all the previous reviews after booking, I was expecting to be disappointed. I've been in Edinburgh so many times, in so many different hotels & guest houses and this turned out to be a real treat. The location is great, our room was nice and big, not too noisy and lots of nice touches. I cannot reconcille the previous reviews with my experience. Valet parking at £15 was cheap compared with what we have paid before for parking and you simply pass your keys over on arrival and don't have to worry until you are going home. The staff were exceptionally pleasant and helpful. Highly recommended.

Rubbish hotel will never stay there again

For a start we were made to get a premium room as they were the only ones available on their website. Which i was told by the hotel ammounted to an extra £40 a night but we would get a bathrobe and mineral water as well as a superiour room and some special toiletries. What a rip off.

Got to the room it was in a very shabby state and half the ligths didnt work. There was only 1 towel and no bathrobes even though they were aware that there was 2 people in the room. I called down to recepetion to get the robes and the towels as they were making me pay a premium for this only to be told but a rather unfriendly member of staff that they they would be sending the robes up but it was the hotel policy to get guests to request the other towels once they check in.

Then in the evening at 10:05 i was in the bar and as it was new years if was very cold outside my partner felt like having a hot chocolate only to be told that i was too late and that they wouldnt make me one, by once again a very unfriendly and rude member of staff.

The cleaning service in the room was appalling. For a start after the whole saga of getting the robes the cleaner removed one the following day and never replaced it and the towel we placed in the bath. And SHe never replaced the toiletries either nor the water. In addition she didnt clean the glasses but insted left them where they were and didnt empty the bin. Infact all she did was make the bed. This made me have to call reception once again and talk to their oh so friendly members of staff to tell have them send up another bloody robe and towel.

Then assuming things would inprove and it was a one off i was all the more shocked that the cleaner did exaclty the same thing again the following day minus removing the robe.

In fact the only time i had a cheerful and friendly member of staff was on checkout when they had taken my money.

I would never stay at this hotel again and i will be writing to complain.

Excellent hotel, great location + superb rooms

by TripAdvisor Member karljhamilton

I stayed at the Carlton twice on business for a few weeks each time and enjoyed the hotel thoroughly. Despite a problem with the first room I checked into (during high winds there was excessive noise and the windows blew open) this was quickly fixed by a move to another room.
The rooms are great - spacious and nicely decorated. Also the bathroom is superb with a modern design which offers extra showering space and length. I cannot fault my room at all, it was definitely one of the best I have stayed in.
The leisure facilities are good also, with a large gym, small swimming pool and sauna, steam room and jacuzzi (which could do with a touch less chlorine). The staff are generally pleasant and service is good. The hotel has a lift which will bring you to Market St. opposite the train station which is very handy. Front entrance close to Castle and Royal Mile and only a couple of minutes walk to the shopping area and Calton Hill. Cannot comment on food as did not eat in hotel but would definately reccommend this hotel for your stay. (9/10)

Best place I've had in years!!

by TripAdvisor Member Sheepdogcatfish

Fantastic hotel, outstanding room, and for what I would normally pay for a poor 1* place. To be honest I was almost blown away when I opened the door of the room, and the bathroom was unbelievable. Tasteful decor, great lighting, and an excellent mini-bar. Great food, good Scottish staff. The rear entrance by the back of Waverley Station was a bit 'Resident Evil' but otherwise very good.

Comments