Bonham Hotel

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Boutique Chic

This hotel is fabulous - I loved it. It has won Scottish Boutique Hotel of the year 2005 and you can see why. The decor is lovely, the service fantastic and friendly, yes I fancy hotel with really friendly and helpful staff, what a great find!

The restaurant serves delicious food with some unusual items that are well worth trying.

Oh and the 'smellies' in the bathroom are nice too!

Unique Quality: The hotel is ideally situated in the West End of Edinburgh, very central. The rooms are great and have internet access, along with all the usual sattelite tv, ironing board, fluffy robe facilities.

The room service menu is yummy and not too much of a total rip off (unlike the room service in some hotels).

I'd definately go back.

I have to admit that we didn't pay the published rate for our room - so you can get a bargain to stay here, you just have to look around.

Directions: The West End, close to Princes Street and the Castle.

More about Bonham Hotel

Poor Hotel

Just returned from a break at The Bonham Hotel in the lovely city of Edinburgh. Unfortunately, the hotel my husband and I stayed in was not quite the charming experience we had hoped for. The recent reviews have been "hot and cold", so it would seem we caught the hotel on one of it's off days. We were away for a special treat and just a couple of little niggles managed to make the trip less enjoyable. Check in was ok, the room wasn't ready so we were asked to leave our bags - not in the room on our return as they were "very busy" that day. The young lad on reception was a little condescending when telling us this. Room was nice, big enough but could use a lick of paint - fantastic view from the window though. Restaurant was nicely laid out but the food was a little tasteless. Breakfast was shambolic and the food very mediocre. Service was not an awful lot better, we had to ask for fresh cups (because ours were stained) at least 3 times.

I would suggest that you do some research before visiting Edinburgh. You can get better than this for less. Will not be back.

A Wonderful Nights Stay!

I have just returned from a wonderful nights stay at The Bonham Hotel in Edinburgh, a boutique hotel located in the West End of Edinburgh’s City Centre. The Bonham has some wonderful quirky features throughout the hotel… such as 10 metre lampshades hanging from the ceiling down to reception ! Our bedroom was very stylish & comfortable with a huge bed, large bathroom and a lovely view overlooking Dean Village - perfect to look out the window and dream away some time. The room was very clean too.

We had dinner in the evening in the Restaurant – and what a wonderful experience! All the staff were friendly and the food was truly out of this World! I started with a crab pancake, followed by salmon & pancetta with beetroot risotto and a chive butter. My partner had an autumn risotto, followed by steak – mouth-watering, melt in your mouth food!!

We had room service breakfast the following day, and while I opted for fruit, my partner had a full Scottish breakfast. I must admit to sampling some of his haggis – and it was delicious.

I would definitely stay at The Bonham again – it’s a wonderfully unique hotel, has a great location, friendly staff and is well worth a visit!

Wonderful room, beautiful views

by TripAdvisor Member leebond

We stayed in a Superior Room from 6 to 8 November - good value at £150 per night from the hotel website with full breakfast. We had a wonderful large room with a beautiful view over the rooftops of Edinburgh and the Water of Leith. No problems with cleanliness (see previous reviews). Good restaurant but no proper bar.

Close to the New Town but a hilly 20 minute walk to the Royal Mile. Do visit the Georgian House on Charlotte Square, and we had a great walk along the river to the Botanical Gardens - you can get a bus back up the hill! I would highly recommend the nearby Dusit restaurant in Thistle Street for trendy Thai food; and Rebus fans can visit the Oxford Bar on the way. Also had a great lunch in Harvey Nicholls, with even better views!

not nice

What a let down, I really wish we'd looked at Trip Advisor before booking in here as we had the same problems as other reviewers. Our room was dirty and we almost checked out but were assured it would be taken care of, but it was still just as bad when we went back to the room after house keeping had supposedly given it a thorough going over. Breakfast was a joke - cold tea, butter that someone else had used, no milk etc etc. No one seemed to care, I suppose they are always so busy that it doesn't really matter if we don't go back.

Poor attention to detail

by TripAdvisor Member bobbypants

My husband and I stayed at The Bonham from 25-28 November, having found it online. I in particular had high expectations, but alas. It was very cold when we arrived, and the room was freezing. Reception informed us that the heating would not come on until 4.30pm, and to use the room's little heater in the meantime. There was only 1 TV remote control, not the 2 that are required to operate the TV and cable box. The room was not made up when we returned the next day at around 6pm. The hot water would stop for a few minutes before coming back on. The mini bar fridge wasn't working. Breakfast on Saturday involved a long wait and then the couple who were behind us were seated before us. We were charged for papers we did not request. We received a phone call informing us of a fire alarm test and that we would have to leave the building. When we got down to reception, we were informed that this was in fact not the case. What ultimately saved the stay in the end was the incredible politeness of most of the staff, and their willingness to deal with the problems as they occurred. Not that I expected perfection, but these were minor things that could have been avoided if a little more attention to detail had been paid.

Loved it !!

by TripAdvisor Member Carly0878

Stayed at the Bonham this wkend and was really impressed.
We arrived in Edinburgh early Saturday morning (before we could check in)& the staff at the hotel took all of our bags for us and had them in our room when we got back later in the afternoon.
The room we had was a King Size standard room, which was spacious, clean & warm. We had a nautical theme in our room and they had Molton & Brown toiletries in the bathroom which were great!! The bed did have two single duvets as per the last review but it wasn't really an issue as the bed & pillows was so comfortable.
Was really worried about staying here due to the last review but have had such a different experience. The staff were lovely & we would definately stay there again!!*****

Poor Attention to Detail

by TripAdvisor Member Rocky01

I'd like to begin by saying that the fabric of the building and the decoration are quite charming, although my wife and I had to agree with some previous reviewers and say the attention to detail is rather poor. Nothing went majorly wrong during our stay but we both found the room a little dirty with the previous guest's hair in our bath and general dust in the room. Also, it was clear the room had not been hoovered.

We mentioned this to a young man,who said he would rectify the situation by the time we came back from our city visits - which he didn't. He apologised when we mentioned this again but to be honest he seemed he didn't care. When we asked to see the Duty Manager - it turned out to be him!

Lovely city and the hotel could be lovely, if they tightened up on little things.

The Perfect Christmas Break

My partner and I decided to treat ourselves to Christmas 2005 in a hotel. When we eventually decided on Edinburgh, I looked on the internet for suitable places to stay. We decided that The Bonham fitted the bill perfectly, so went ahead and booked - their 2 night Christmas package plus 2 extra nights. I was confident that we had made a good choice, but when I looked at some of the reviews I began to wonder if we had made the right decision! However, our doubts disappeared from the moment we arrived. We were able to check in before 9am (early flight from Nottingham) and although our room wasn't ready we were told it would be available at lunchtime. This gave us time to walk down to Prince's Street and do some shopping. When we returned at 1.30, our room was ready and our luggage was sent up to us. We had booked a superior double - and again it proved to be an excellent choice. Plenty of space, a huge bed, wide bay window with fantastic views across the city and a bathroom with walk-in shower cubicle and lots of Molton Brown toiletries. Everything was spotless and beautifully furnished.

The food was superb, especially dinner on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - among the best we have eaten, at home or abroad. Service in the restaurant was excellent, attentive without being overbearing or intrusive.

I cannot praise this hotel highly enough, our stay was perfect from beginning to end. My partner spent many years working in hotels and knows quality and good service when he sees it. The Bonham has it all. In fact we enjoyed ourselves so much, we are planning to go back for Hogmanay in 2006!

Great Hotel Great City

by TripAdvisor Member Saintsone

We booked the Bonham for a weekend break and after reading some of the reviews were a little concerned. However, we had a lovely time there. The room (a superior) was generours in size with great Art Deco type features, lovely big bathroom with separate shower and lots of Molton Brown toiletries. Room & Bathroom were very clean with stunning views of the city. The downside was the bed which was very disappointing especially as we had paid extra for the upgrade. It was two singles pushed together with two single quilts and none of the luxurious throws as appears in their website photo's. I must admit I was extremely disspointed upon entering the bedroom. I have upgraded the rating as the breakfast, dining room, staff (very helpful), cleanliness and room service was all excellent. We would stay at the Bonham again as good location and quiet area (but probably ask for a proper bed!)
Edinburgh by the way is a fantastic city with really friendly people in all the bars, shops and restaurants we visited.

Comments