Castle View Guest House

Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 3 reviews
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 226 reviews
Booking.com Expedia.com

insensitive disappointing rip off!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 2, 2011

I booked a room through booking.com for my son's birthday trip to Edinburgh and the amount was £99 for 1 night in a family room.However, I paid by Maestro, and this was charged from my card right away, but upon obtaining a statement from my bank, I have become aware that I had been charged £101.50 I checked their webpage, and note that they have a charge of £2.50 for bookings made using a credit card,,however, I DID NOT USE A CREDITCARD,I USED A DEBIT CARD!The guest house is called Castleview, and I specifically asked in the request during booking if we could have a castle view, and we were given a small room at the back, looking out to the back of other buildings, and we had to climb numerous flights of stairs to get to the room.Unfortunately during our stay, I being 32 wks pregnant went into premature labour. My mother had gone to reception at 6am expecting a member of staff to be available to assist in helping to call for medical assistance, and she found noone available to help. My mother managed to call the emergency services and give them directions to the guesthouse and have me taken to hospital. As we were booked for breakfast and due to checkout by 11am, my mother went to breakfast (even though they didn't eat due to the situation) and notified a member of their staff of the circumstances, and his reply was, "oh right but has she paid her bill in full?" Also when it came around to 11am checkout, the cleaner knocked on the door and said she needed in for cleaning, my mother was in a strange place stressed and worried, and had no option but to leave, and had to gather all our belongings and struggle down the numerous flights of stairs on her own with my little boy and all our luggage, whilst the "manager" stood watching. My preterm labour has been stalled and after our disappointing insensitive experience at the guesthouse, we were insulted further by the "extra" charge which should not have been taken. I will definately not return to this place!

Dabs's Profile Photo

Budget lodging in the center of Edinburgh

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 16, 2006

I booked the Castle View Guest House based on recommendations from a couple of other travel websites plus the couple I saw on here, reviews were overwhelmingly positive. I booked the Highland Room, a single with ensuite bathroom for 45 GBP (around $80US), the off season rate since it was January.

A word of caution-the guest house is located on the 3rd and 4th floor of a small office building and there is no elevator and no bellhop to help you with your luggage. They fully advise you of this when you book with them, if you can't carry your luggage up 3 flights of stairs, this is not the place for you.

The location was not as good as I had thought, I spent most of my time over near the Royal Mile so every day I had to hike up the hill to get to the Royal Mile. It was convenient for the Airbus from the airport, I got off at the West End (Shandwick Place) stop and walked about 10-15 minutes to get to the Castle View. There are plenty of buses running along Princes Street a 1/2 block away.

I had a little trouble finding restaurants nearby at first, the first night I ate a very unsatisfactory pizza at Bella Italia, eventually I found Fisher's in the City on nearby Thistle Street and located three that had been recommended to me, Centotre (1/2 block away), La Tasca and Mussel Inn.

And a bit of trivia-Kenneth Grahame, author of "The Wind in the Willows", was born in this house.

Unique Quality: Room-the single was spacious enough, plenty of room to move around and for my luggage. The bed was fine, there's a small TV inside the room and tea service. The Highland Room does not have a view of Edinburgh Castle.

Bathroom-the bathroom was en suite, not shared like many guest houses which is a definite plus for me. The water pressure wasn't terrific but there was plenty of hot water. Toiletries provided were soap, shampoo and bath gel, towels are replaced daily.

Breakfast-one of the highlights of the Castle View is the breakfast, you can start off with a full Scottish breakfast or several other choices, I had bacon and scrambled eggs both morning along with toast and tea, a terrific way to start out a long day of touring.

The owners were as nice as can be, Coranne made me breakfast each morning and was delightful and I was greeted by Derek who kindly hauled my luggage up the last flight of stairs. You can come and go as you please, they give you keys to all of the doors and your room is locked during the day.

Directions: 1/2 block from Princes Street, New Town

londonlover's Profile Photo

Real atmosphere, great location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 12, 2004

Coranne and Derek run a very well-kept B&B here on Castle Street--I stayed here my second visit in Edinburgh for two nights, in the Burns room (sleeps four). The room was spacious, the full breakfast is delicious, and the furnishings are casually beautiful.

Unique Quality: Our room was one of two that had a spectacular view of Edinburgh Castle down the street. How nice to look out your window at night and see the castle lit up on the rock...

The only drawback here is the climb. There are about three flights of stairs to reach the B&B itself (offices are on the lower floors). Then it's another flight to the rooms. But if you're healthy, it's worth it!

Directions: Just off Princes Street, parallel with Edinburgh Castle

Nearby Castle View Guest House

Castle View Guest House

• Castle View Guest House Hotel Edinburgh

Address: 30 Castle St., Edinburgh, EH2 3HT, United Kingdom

3 Photos of Castle View Guest House

View Professional Photos

Edinburgh Travel Forum

Need advice about Edinburgh, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Edinburgh and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Edinburgh hotel reviews

Dean / Stockbridge
Royal Mile (Miscellaneous)
Hard Rock Cafe
Restaurants
Festival, Tattoo, Hogmanay, Etc.
Princes Street