12-16 S Learmonth Gardens, Edinburgh, EH4 1EZ, United Kingdom
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Channings Hotel

Charming retreat

We enjoyed our stay at the Channings. I would however pay the extra rate for a superior room. It is much more spacious. We were in a standard room which was lovey but very small so asked to be upgraded. Well worth it. The staff was very helpful with dinner reservations and suggestions. Called for taxi's and provided anything we needed. We did eat at the restaurant the first night at the hotel which was excellent. Breakfast was wonderful as well. I also liked that it was off the beaten path which made for a very quiet night. It was very easy to either take the bus or walk to the main attractions. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Edinburgh.

Smile wouldnt go a miss!!!

The rooms were comfortable,food was good portions were small,but what was lacking was the friendly staff (maybe they were on a day off?) . But Edinburgh made it for us such a lovely city.

What a disappointment!

by TripAdvisor Member Worlwide

We had such hopes of this hotel having read many reviews before our visit, but, oh dear, what a disappointment it turned out to be.

We had booked four rooms for our family between Christmas and the New Year. Two of the rooms we were allocated were on the second floor - fine except that one was given to my daughter in law who was 35 weeks pregnant, and the elevator was not working. Three rooms were very, very, small, and my large children had to arrange their movements so that no two of them were ever by the same side of the bed at the same time. One room we were initially allocated had no power, and had not been cleaned since the previous guests. In one room the bath did not drain, and in another one of the bathroom lights went on and off apparantly at random. 'Double beds' were in fact twins pushed together. Bathrooms were basic.

The main restaurant was closed for our entire visit. On our first night in the hotel we booked dinner for 8.00pm in the Italian restaurant. We were enjoying pre-dinner drinks in the lounge at 7.45pm when a waitress came in, demanded to know if we were the party of 8, and told us that our booking was for 7.30pm and that we must go in immediately. With the meal we ordered one bottle of red wine for four of the party. Without asking if we wanted it, the waitress brought an additional bottle, and proceeded to fill three glasses so full that the second bottle was needed for the fourth glass. The food was indifferent at best, and we were not tempted to try it on another night. A lunch time request for sandwiches from room service had not materialised forty minutes later, and a further call elicited the response that it had been forgotten.

On the plus side the reception staff were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was excellent, but we shan't be going back I'm afraid, nor recommending it to others.

Certainly not recommended

by TripAdvisor Member JsyAli

Having seen some great reviews on this hotel we were very much looking forward to our 3 night stay over the new year period but what a let down it was.

We had booked a standard room, inclusive of breakfast and dinner at a total cost of £800. Obviously we expected top service and quality but what we got was bad tempered rude staff and very poor food.

On our first morning breakfast was served between 8am and 10am, we arrived at exactly 10am only to be shouted at by the waitress infront of other guests and told that we would not get any breakfast. Meals became a circus, food was generally very poor and rushed. One night we were seated in the corridor outside the restaurant at a dirty garden table, on our last night the lamb was so tough that I could hardly chew it! This may be acceptable in a budget hotel but certainly not here.

Hearing other guests complain became a regular occurrence.

The only good point was the room, which although it was small was nicely decorated and had a good size bathroom. Just a shame that the double bed was 2 singles pushed together.

Some Information

by TripAdvisor Member tartan20

I have read through a few of the reviews for Channings and as someone who has worked in the hotel as well as others would like to state the following:

Channings does not push two single beds together to make doubles, they infact use "zip and link" beds which have the ability to make either doubles or twins. The two single mattresses zip together to make one mattress and the mattress material overlaps so that the zip is not visible. The full size matress is as good as any other mattress i have slept on.

Channings uses two single duvets on the beds as it would simply be impossible to keep a large enough stock of single, double and kingsize duvets in the building to keep moving them round each time a bed needed doubled or twinned. The simple solution upon booking would be to either specifically request a double bed that is not a zip bed (there are a few available) or to simply ask on arrival if housekeeping can make up the beds using sheets and blankets.

Many other hotels accross the world use zip and link beds in order to increase room sales, and i'm sure the people who have stayed at Channings cannot complain the beds aren't comfortable, afterall each bed costs £1000 each.

Another satisfied customer!

Having also stayed at Channings over the New Year period I find it hard to understand how we could have had such a different experience from another previous trip advisor correspondent. Our stay was fabulous from start to finish. We found the staff helpful and friendly and the food superb, my wife even wanted to take the chef home with us!
The room was what we expected and the hotel itself had the home from home appeal with large comfortable lounge furniture that you could easily fall asleep on after dinner, which in fact we did! All in all we would thoroughly reccommend Channings to all, as definately "the friendliest hotel in Edinburgh" The Stuarts.

A Great Place

This Hotel is a great experience every time we come with my wife. The Staff is so friendly and managers competent. Nothing can be perfect in this world, there no perfect hotel but this one is a really good one. The food is excellent, compliment to this french chef. A very nice place

Disappointing

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in channings and were disappointed with the hotel. Having read such good reviews, the hotel did not at all live up to expectations.
Upon arrival we were shown to a "superior" room, which was quite
small, the decor can only be described as dark and claustrophobic, with wallpaper torn in numerous places. This room was not at all like what we had seen on the website so I can only conclude that it was due for redecorating/refurbishment. The modern bathroom was not in keeping with the traditionally decorated bedroom. As has been mentioned before the "double" bed consisted of twin beds pushed together, with individual single quilts. We asked if we could move to a better room but were informed that all that was available was a standard double room. I asked to see this but a glance into the room was enough to tell me that although the room we had was unsatisfactory the standard room was unacceptable. My advice to anyone booking into this hotel is to avoid the standard rooms at all cost as they are absolutely tiny. I immediately thought "What a cheek to charge those prices for a room of that size". The room was so small that you would have to turn to the side to get around the bottom of the bed!
Another problem with this hotel is the lack of amenities in the area. There are no restaurants or pubs in the immmediate vicinity of the hotel and we constantly found ourselves heading into the centre of Edinburgh (15 minute walk). It would have been far more convenient to stay in a more central location.
We were very disappointed in this hotel, and I think this is largely due to the expectations that are built up on reading the guidebooks/reviews. We seriously considered booking another hotel but we felt the chance of getting a decent one at such short notice was slim and we thought it better to put the experience behind us, make the best of it and enjoy our visit to this lovely city. While the staff were very friendly we would not recommend Channings, and we won't be returning.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member rmcarsoni

Having stayed at the hotel between Christmas and New year we found the hotel excellent. The superior room we booked into was above average in size, would even say it was on the large size, the bed was huge. The facilities in the room were excellend, cd player, DVD etc etc.
The room was very clean and the staff could not do enough for you. All very friendly and always had a smile for you.
Breakfast was very ralaxed and not at all rushed and there was a large selection to choose from.

I would definately stay again and recommend it to anyone - although a fair walk into the town for the less mobile.

To be honest, very very disappointed

To keep this brief. The room opened onto the reception. We were told that we wouldnt here the reception noise, but oh how wrong that was. Screaming kids waking you up at 7am wasnt what I was expecting.. The door to the room wasnt big enough to carry the luggage. And that was even before we entered the room.. The furniture was not matching with the decor, all scratched dented and generally of 'boot sale' quality.. Nice bathroom, although the Molten Brown products were not the original.. The bottles had been filled with cheaper immitations..

Lets now mention the electronic items.. The television had a screen about the size of my mobile phone, we thought it would be of at least 'nicam'quality as stated on the Channings website.. How wrong we were. The television was actually a 'mono' one, how could you possibly use this as a 'Hi-Fi System (as mentioned in their e-TV package)?!?!

We were told to use the internet as much as possible as it was 'free'.We tried to use the internet a number of times, but was told the server was down. Over the 2 days of our stay, we didnt manage to use the internet once. My boyfriend is an IT Consultant and he could not see the problem with their server..

2 telephones.. No chance... We had one, which must have been 15 years old. Not some modern concoction which they seem to think it is..

No hairdryer....

And finally.. We wanted to get a bottle opener and 2 glasses in the room. Not a great task, just something simple. This took at least 45 minutes, after a second request from my boyfriend.

Oh and lets just mention breakfast. I think this hotel has a strict 'no speaking' policy during breakfast time. If you want library conditions, then this hotel is perfect in providing you with your first meal of the day.

Sorry.. I will stop soon. Just one quick point. My boyfriend had to leave the hotel to have a cigarrette.. There is a strict no smoking policy pretty much anywhere..

So, to sum up.. If you want screaming kids, no smoking anywhere, no noise during breakfast, no television, no Molten Brown, no hairdryer and a very long wait for room service, then this hotel is brilliant value for money.. Try before you buy!!

the gates at Tarquair Housethe gates at Tarquair House

I was cold and wet ok!  View was really niceI was cold and wet ok! View was really nice

Fireworks on Calton Hill, Edinburgh, Scotland, UKFireworks on Calton Hill, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Outside the restaurantOutside the restaurant

Edinbugh suggestions

by Juanluito

Scotland:Edinburgh suggestions
Posted: Sat June 24 16:36:18 2006 CEST
Hello there!!
I¡m planning on travelling to Scotland in september for 6 days. My friend and I would stay in Edinburgh and we'll get some whole day tour/s to different places. I'd really appreciate any suggestion!! I'd like to know in advance what we must not miss! I'd be grateful, as well, if anyone recomends us cool places to enjoy nightlife which seems to be really lively there!! I'm looking forward to getting there and breathe that great atmosphere I've been told about!!

thanks a lot!!

RE: Edinbugh suggestions

by clivedinburgh

You could try a different area each night, an old tradition was to have a drink in every bar on Rose St but you'll find a better night on George St nowadays. There are a nice group of bars around the West End and of course there is the Grassmarket.

Espionage is open late every night and is free entry. Other late night venues I'd recommend are Opal Lounge, Why Not, PoNaNas, Prive Council & Dropkick Murphys

RE: RE: Edinbugh suggestions