Christopher North House Hotel

6 Gloucester Place, Edinburgh, Scotland EH3 6EF, United Kingdom

• fairestmom's Profile Photo

A Georgian Residential Area

For our third night in Edinburgh we had made reservations at the Christopher North House Hotel. This hotel is in the heart of Edinburgh's New Town. Since we needed a room for 4 people, we were accommodated in the John Wilson Suite--a very large suite with high ceilings. The room had at least 3 beds and 2 or 3 large sofas and a large wooden table desk. Lots of room for suitcases and clothes storage. The bathroom was very nice and spacious.

We were very comfortable in this suite and the hotel staff was very accommodating and helpful. The day we checked in we arrived early but were able to leave our suitcases in their care while we went off to enjoy Princes Street!

That evening we ordered take out chinese food at the Wok & Wine Restaurant and brought it back to the hotel to eat. The hotel staff graciously provided us with dinner plates and silverware to use. Our stay included a full buffet style breakfast. Their dining room was set up very nice and elegant with linen table cloths and napkins.

Unique Quality: The nice part about staying here was the location. The hotel was in a very nice Georgian residential area with nice surroundings and it was only like a 5 minute walk to Princes Street and other attractions in that area.

We found it interesting that we stayed in the John Wilson suite--right in the middle of so much history! What we knew about John Wilson was that he was once one of Edinburgh's literary lions. He is remembered mainly for the position he created for himself in the Scottish intellectual world. In 1820 the Town Council appointed Wilson to the Chair of Moral Philosophy at Edinburgh University where he remained until his retirement in 1851. Wilson wrote under the pseudonym "Christopher North." He was a poet, novelist and a great orator. The Christopher North House at 6 Gloucester Place was Wilson's last residence--he lived from 1785 until 1854. In 1865 a statue was erected to his memory in Princes Street Gardens.

Directions: Centrally located in the heart of New Town, Edinburgh's city centre.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Pray you don't have heavy luggage to lug upstairs

It was almost 20 yrs ago that I stayed at this hotel, so I don't know how it's changed since then.
    My friend and I had a bit of a challenge finding the hotel, but we were quite happy when we did. Close to the main shopping area, but yet in a quiet street. As I recall it was street parking.
    There was no elevator/lift so we had to cart our not-so-light suitcase up the stairs, to our newly renovated room. We were a little leery of leaving things in the trunk/boot of our car.
    Our room was bright, cheery and clean, and very nice. We were thrilled with the modern shower, being North Americans we found either not having a shower, or having to play with older faucets difficult.
    We weren't starving for a big meal, but wanted something to eat and asked at the desk for a place to go. The woman suggested that although they didn't serve a dinner - or we'd missed it (time has dulled my memory) - we could have a round of sandwiches in the bar. We took them up on it and it was quite lovely.
    The cooked breakfast the following morning was great as well.
    I would go back, and I would recommend the Christopher North House to others.

Unique Quality: Quiet street with no traffic noises.
    The modern plumbing in the room.
    Location, location, location!

More about Christopher North House Hotel

Our brush with history

by fairestmom

"Poet John Wilson a.k.a. Christopher North"

Since my husband Gene is a person who loves history and is also known to be a writer of verse, at least to his family and friends, I feel like I need to include the following. As I mentioned in one of my tips, our last night in Edinburgh was spent in the John Wilson Suite at the Christopher North House Hotel. In our suite there was a book on the life of John Wilson which Gene enjoyed reading.

Gene always carries a small notepad and pen with him as he is often inspired to jot down a quick verse. Throughout our 2005 trip we often saw him writing in his notepad. Following is a short verse he wrote during our last night's stay in Edinburgh.

Christopher North

Here's to Christopher North
Who in life did sally forth
To speak of this fair land
And on issues take a stand
Not one to stand aside
Or have his voice denied
He told it like it was
For the lot of us
His voice is with us still
As we view the verdant hills
And we must ne'er forget
We owe Christopher a debt.

6/17/05

Edinburgh Scotland

by fairestmom

"Edinburgh - Our very first stop"

In June 2005, my husband Gene, daughter Amy, our son's daughter Nicole and I departed for our European Adventures. This trip was partly for Gene to visit Scotland and Ireland since he is of Scottish and Irish ancestry and also a high school graduation gift for Nicole.

Edinburgh was the first city on our itinerary. From the airport we took a bus to Waverly station where our B&B host was to pick us up. Our first 2 nights we stayed at the Tantallon B&B and the 3rd night we stayed at the Christopher North House Hotel.

We spent 3 nights in Edinburgh and had a great time--from shopping and sightseeing to trying new foods such as Haggis, Neeps and Tatties! Gene was not ready to leave Edinburgh--he still says this was his favorite city we visited.

"Haggis Neeps and Tatties"

On our first full day in Edinburgh we went walking along Rose Street in the new town area and decided to stop in at a fine looking eating establishment (we don't remember the name) for some refreshments. We had a charming and entertaining young man for our waiter and he managed to talk us into trying the Haggis Neeps & Tatties. I'm sure many of you know making haggis is an ongoing Scottish tradition of many years and as our waiter said many people can't function without having had their helping of haggis. Haggis is a concoction of cooked organs from young sheep and the dish we ordered was layered haggis, turnips & potatoes. This was all new to us--we had no idea what he was talking about but we had our suspicions!

(verse written by Gene)
Haggis, neeps and tatties
T'ain't no chicken patties
It's turnips and taters
and a slaughtered sheep's innards
It is baked in layers
Try it if you dare
Some say they need it
I say it's more fun to say than eat it!

"We loved Edinburgh"

We all just fell in love with Edinburgh. Gene loves to tell everyone that we walked him to death. We did do a lot of walking but it was really fun. Amy and Nicole went their own way a couple of times while Gene and I did our own thing at a slower pace.

The girls and I went off to the old town area one evening while Gene decided to stay in. We walked through The Meadows, a nice large park with many people enjoying the days end. We found the Grass Market area and ended up at Finnegan's Wake Pub.

On the 17th we sadly said goodbye to Scotland but were excited about the next part of our trip. WE WERE GOING TO DRIVE IN IRELAND!!!

Comments