Clarendon Hotel Edinburgh

25 - 33 Shandwick Place, (formerly the Maitland Hotel), Edinburgh, Scotland EH2 4RG, United Kingdom

• krissyM's Profile Photo

Great Stay

I stayed here one night, the night before I was scheduled to leave on a tour. Because it was close Hogmanay the hostels all requirred 4 night stay minimum so this was the cheaper option for one night.
    Maybe I'm just easy to please after staying in hostels for a month but I loved this hotel. For 50 pounds Sterling a hot engligh breakfast was included. The hotel had cable TV and a beautiful bathroom. It located right across the street from the second last stop on the Airport express bus, so I didn't have far to walk.

• redflame100's Profile Photo

Great Location

We didnt know what to expect as we had booked using the website as our guide.

We found it easily as the airlink bus from the airport drops right outside.

Certainly not as grand as the website makes it look. Our double room was small (the smallest we have ever stayed in) but adequate. Definitely no frills. Kettle and tea making facilities, en suite, tv. Unfortunately there was no remote control with the tv and the alarm had been set and we were unable to unset it, but that was a minor irritation.

Breakfast was your average hotel breakfast - cereal, tea/coffee, full English (opps sorry, Scottish) breakfast. Was looking forward to some porridge but none on offer.

Small bar with friendly barman and average prices.

Worst bit was being woken a couple of times in the middle of the night by the heating banging, and I am not a light sleeper.

£160 for two nights b&b was slightly more than we usually pay on trips away, but was comparatively cheap for Edinburgh and after all - it was only a base and did have the perfect location for sightseeing.

Unique Quality: Ideal location for sightseeing. Within walking distance of everything in central Edinburgh and has airlink bus stop directly outside.

Directions: At the top of Princes Street in the West End of Edinburgh.

More about Clarendon Hotel Edinburgh

Why alll the complaints???

by TripAdvisor Member larach

Can't believe the bad reviews...we found this one of the best hotel experiences on our Scots trip!! The room rates were excellent and the rooms themselves more spacious than most and in excellent condition. And for old fogies with suitcases there is a lift! Really good value in our experience..and the hotel even mailed back to America tour trophies we left behind.

Good value for the money

Me and my girlfriend we're both pleased with the room - basic, but clean and newly refurbished. Friendly staff at reception, though the bar didn't seem particularly inviting. Would stay again.

Great location, OK hotel

by TripAdvisor Member beccx

Stayed at the Clarendon for 3 nights in the middle of November. The price we paid for the location was very reasonable indeed (£35 per night each). We had a large room with 3 large windows which faced out onto the main road. This did make it a little noisy at night and in the morning, but not so much that it kept us awake. Yes, the bathroom had no ventilation and there were no biscuits on the tea tray but at the end of the day you don't come to Edinburgh to spend loads of time in your hotel, do you? The breakfast is more limited than I have experienced elsewhere, but if you ask for exactly what you want (i.e 2 eggs, 2 sausages) then you get it!

If you're looking for somewhere clean and comfortable to stay, in a great location for a reasonable price then this would be a good choice. I would stay here again if I came back to Edinburgh.

Cool Champagne and Thin Cold Toast

If you need somewhere central, with an airport shuttle bus that stops right outside, The Clarendon is for you. Don't expect luxury, but it's clean, quiet and comfortable.

Bad Stuff: as reported elsewhere, breakfast is dreadful. I've had more relaxing meals in service stations. And they couldn't really make the portions any smaller. Or the toast colder. Or thinner.

Good stuff: Somerfield supermarket is a few doors down for provisions; great bars and the sites of Edinburgh are right outside the door. Plus, the management have put secondary glazing up at the windows, and the ample space between it and the outer window makes an EXCELLENT freezer for your milk, champagne, coleslaw, chocolate etc.

Not recommended, but okay if you just need a decent bed.

Enjoyed our stay

I would recommend this hotel if you need a bed for a night or two. My partner and I stayed one night for Christmas shopping. The decor and fittings were basic, but the room was clean and quiet and we were able to control the temperature to our comfort. The hotel is well-located for central Edinburgh and very good value for money. The staff were pleasant and very helpful. Didn't get to try the infamous breakfast because we got up too late!!
The only real downside was that the bathroom was small, unheated and unventilated. Having said that, it was comfortable enough with a hot shower.

Comments