3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Travelocity Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 55% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• waringa's Profile Photo

Lovely Hotel

Charming stay and probably the most memorable night of my life.

Unique Quality: This Georgian building has been fantastically modernised inside and is now a real avent garde feel about it.

Directions: Point Hotel
    34 Bread Street
    Edinburgh EH3 9AF

• clementc's Profile Photo

The world's most hip hotel!

I've stayed here twice, during my two visits to Edinburgh and I would highly recommend all visitors to Edinburgh to stay here.

Unique Quality: Standing at my window, I see the beautiful Edinburgh Castle. The hotel is hip, service is excellent, location is great and the food at the restaurant is to die for!

Directions: http://www.point-hotel.co.uk/location.htm

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

The Point Hotel, Bread Street

We got a special deal through a travel agent. I think normal price is about GBP150 per night.

Unique Quality: This hotel is in a very old building but is very modern on the inside. The rooms were beautifully spacious and comfortable. We had a lovely view of the city and the castle.

Directions: In the older part of the city, with a view of the castle.

More about The Point Hotel Edinburgh

What Time Is It Anyway?

by tpal

This photograph needs a little explanation. It was taken from the window of my room at Dalhousie Castle. I have to admit it is not one of my more stunning images but then it wasn't meant to be.

You see, I visited Scotland in the beginning of July. I live in Buffalo, New York, USA. So what's the point? Edinburgh is located at a Latitude of 55°55' N and Buffalo is at 42°56' N. That places Edinburgh approximately 650 miles closer to the North Pole. Interesting, you say, but what does it have to do with the photograph?

Well, the photograph is not of a scene but rather of a moment in time...specifically about 10:30 PM and yes it is still light out. The sunset charts swear that this can't be true but I will tell you it is true. I am open to explanation.

I think I missed the Point (I really wished I had...)

I was looking forward to seeing this award winning hotel and I paid extra for the executive room. What I found was cheap, shabby and grimey. The so called panoramic views were of the bins but were luckily masked by the filth on the windows. As far a design is concerned I could see that the extra money I paid for the room went on a melted tv.
The consistent style continued with a cracked sink, broken toilet and fittings that have been bought directly from a car boot sale. I didnt fancy sitting on the chair in room because of the multitude of stains.
The decoration would not look out of place in the red light district apart from the fact that those local establishments were in better state of repair. I found the staff disiniterested and dismissive and when asked if I could leave some bags whilst I went exploring was told - 'you can stick them behind that wall...' The teapot at breakfast could have blended in well in a greasy mechanics lockup - the filth that was attached to it - but that was at least consistent with the state of the teacup. I could go on but I think you see my point...

Extremely disappointing

We stayed here at the end of last year and were extremely disappointed.
The staff, in particular appeared to go out of their way to be rude and unhelpful. It took them about 15 minutes to notice us standing at reception (although there was only one other guest there) and then 15 minutes to find our booking and give us our room key. As we were short of time to check in before getting to a wedding this was particularly annoying. They were also unhelpful when my partner needed to urgently fax something to his office and just told him to leave (confidential) documents on the check in desk and someone would do it when they had time. This did not inspire great confidence. Although we thought we had booked a room with breakfast inlcuded we were informed that we would have to pay extra for this, so we didn't bother.

Although I'm generally a fan of minimalist modern design, I thought it was poorly done here. Small rooms, tired and shabby decor particularly the bathrooms, which were actively dirty. Would never go back or recommend to anyone.

No Point in staying here

Staff - rude, unhelpful, inefficient, unprofessional, disorganised Room - basic, no water, no fridge, lock didn't work properly, twin beds pushed together is 'a double room' Food - uninspired, breakfast was disgusting and hardly any choices for veggies Drinks - overpriced Area of town - dodgy - just by all of the strip bars! There are better places to stay in Edinburgh, try the ibis, the Apex and the Carlton for budget breaks, but give this a miss.

OK at The Point

by TripAdvisor Member ChocChick

I read some of the reviews posted before we left for Scotland, and I was not optomistic. We were however pleasantly surprised. If you approach your stay at The Point with an open mind, and don't expect anything remotely scottish about the hotel you will be met with a 'wow' factor. The reception is ultra modern, and the reception staff effecient. The lifts could be better, but they work!! The floors with the bedrooms on have to be approached with the aid of sunglasses, but it is very original decor. We encountered a few problems during our three night stay, but they were always dealt with efficiently and the result was agreeable to us (we are no pushovers!!). I would recommend staying here, but only if you get a good rate. We paid 40 UK Pounds per person per night, Dinner Bed & Breakfast. I would not pay any more!!!!

great time at the point

I booked the point hotel as i wanted to stay somewhere individual and different to make my partners birthday as special as possible. I got a good deal on the net but then saw the previous reviews and was worried -perhaps those people stayed somewhere else because we had a great time and wonderful room with a lovely view of the castle. If you expect the point to be the same as all other mass chain hotels dont go but if you want something a bit different, get a good deal and do. i was impressed, nowhere's perfect but the few flaws the place has weren't sigificant to me and as for the area we were a 5/10 min walk from most places and i didn't see anything untoward -maybe i've missed out!

Wonderful stay at the Point Hotel

We booked a one-night stay at the Point Hotel for 60GBP per room with a toilet and shower/bath. We were very impressed at the location. We requested a castle view and we got one (maybe, the windows need some cleaning to get an even better view). We found an appetizing and affordable all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet restaurant around the corner, Jimmy Chung's. Also, we enjoyed pub food and watching Manchester United with the locals at Black Bull #12 down the street.

Comments