Dreamhouse Apartments Abercromby

19 Abercromby Place, Edinburgh, EH3 6LB, United Kingdom
AMOMA.com TheHotels.com

More about Edinburgh

St Giles CathedralSt Giles Cathedral

entrance hall, side viewentrance hall, side view

Forth Road Bridge, South QueensferryForth Road Bridge, South Queensferry

Great view from Calton HillGreat view from Calton Hill

Traditional music

by rodostemplar

Can anyone suggest a good pub in Edinburgh for an evening of live traditional scottish music?

by albertriddell

Hey, am from Edinburgh, and i would say your best bet is to walk down the royal mile, which is the road that leads from the castle down to hollyrood palace, and is bang in the centre of town. It is very much a tourist area, and you should be able to find some pubs doing live traditional music, would be surprised otherwise.

by Sjalen

Indeed - last time I was there was quite some time ago now (sigh) but then the Ensign Ewart almost at the castle end of the Royal Mile was a good bet!

by df53

Another bet would be the Royal Oak on Infirmary Street.

RE: RE: Traditional music

by Sjalen

Thank you! I couldn't remember its name last night - the Royal Oak! I've had one of my most magical Scottish evenings in its basement with spontaneous REAL folk songs...

RE: RE: Traditional music

by flyingscot4

Another suggestion is Sandy Bells. I think it the place for traditional sessions now that the Tron has closed. I'm not sure where you will find folk music now. John Kelley at The Scotsman Bar used to have folk music once or twice each week.

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

Traveling off season

by Dabs

Seems like there are two REALLY busy times to go to Edinburgh, at New Year's for the Hogmany celebrations and in the summer when they have the Festival. I chose January, not because I thought it was a particularly good time to visit Edinburgh but because it fit in with my travel plans to visit London for the big VT meeting on January 21, 2006.

It was a little chilly, especially at the top of Calton Hill and Edinburgh Castle and of course the gardens are not much to see but otherwise I found it a fine time to visit, nothing was particularly crowded, I got a better rate on accomodations and didn't need to book anything in advance.

Haggis...it truly looks worse than what it is.

by tan1415

Well we all know what's haggis is made off, but couldn't they alter the look of it a bit? Make it look less than what you can actually find in a sheeps stomach/intestine.
For the taste is quite OK...But you really to eat it with your eyes close.

So my advice is really...give it a taste. Is quite tasty. Just the look of it and knowing what's it made off could really put you off.

Do you know Durian fruit...taste like heaven, but smells like ***.
Haggis IMHO is looks like ***....but tastes ok.

Museum of Childhood

by Dabs

This wonderful museum is located right on the Royal Mile at 42 High Street, pop in for a look should you find yourself with a spare hour or two. I have to say this was my favorite museum in Edinburgh, maybe because I never grew up ;-)

There are several floors of displays organized by various categories, I only had about 45 minutes to look around but I could have stayed in here at least twice as long.

A couple of my favorites were the Snakes & Ladders game, perhaps a scarier percursor to the dull Chutes & Ladders we have here in the US, and the Struwwelpeter doll from the horribly gruesome book by Heinrich Hoffmann (the play Shockheaded Peter was based on this book)

Salisbury Crag

by lou31

Walking alone up there could be a little scarey at times. Absolutely nothing to break your fall. When a man came up behind me I stopped to let him go by.
This photo has a mysterious quality about it!

- The cavendish...

by Nathy-Paris

- The cavendish (discotheque)

- The Frankenstein (wonderful pub - a must see !)

- L'espionnage (discotheque - free entrance)

- The Finnegan's Wake (irish pub, live music every night)
On the picture : my brother, a friend and I at the Frankenstein (downstairs)!

Comments