Edinburgh Budget Apartments

2 Western Harbour Midway, Edinburgh, EH6 6PB, United Kingdom

More about Edinburgh

Acrobats Performing by East Princes Street GardensAcrobats Performing by East Princes Street Gardens

The Bad Ass Bistro, Edinburgh (Aug. 2008)The Bad Ass Bistro, Edinburgh (Aug. 2008)

National Museum of ScotlandNational Museum of Scotland

Edinburgh CastleEdinburgh Castle

Two nights in Edinburgh - where should I stay?

by Mikey64

I'm a corporate pilot, and we are going to fly the owner of the airplane to the UK in the beginning of September. We will be in Edinburgh for 2 nights. Where should I stay? What area? What hotel? Where should we eat and what should we not miss seeing while we are there? Thanks!

by iaint

Can't comment on specific hotels due to lack of experience. In general however, my advice is to choose one in a modern building rather than one that looks old and "traditional". In the latter, the rooms are often sub standard. Sweeping generalisation, but all too true in the rest of Scotland.

Go to see the castle and Holyrood Palace - that's one day gone! Royal Yacht Britannia is worth seeing too.

There are some restaurant tips on my Edinburgh page

by hawkhead

The Balmoral Hotel? The Witchery to eat? Cafe Royal to eat? Apparently, there's a very good restaurant at the top of the royal Museum of Scotland. Visit the Castle, Holyrood Palace, the Queen's Gallery. The National Gallery of Scotland. The Writers' Museum. Stretch those legs/blow the cobwebs away and have a walk up to Arthur's Seat. Perhaps a hop on/hop off bus tour of the city. Just had a thought, the Festival will still be on, so you might not have a great deal of choice regarding accommodation. You only have two nights, so I'd try and find lodging in the Old Town.

by leithgirl

I am getting married in September and have friends and family coming over from Australia and I have just booked them into the Novotel which is smack bang between The Meadows and the Old Town at an unbeleivable price of £81 a night, although if money is no option then i would say the Balmoral cant be missed.

For restuarants it would be worth heading down to the shore one of the night's and trying Martin Wisharts or The Kitchin (my fav) but you would need to book in advance as they are both very busy (and both Michelin *).

by Living_Life

Sorry to say but you'll get better quality and quantity of replies on the Tripadvisor Edinburgh forum. I'd say stay on or near the historic Royal Mile. Plenty of character and plenty of olde worlde pubs where you can get a good meal at a good price and decent ales.

by bluebrazil

You can easily fill two days sighseeing in Edinburgh. It's a very walkable city. The centre is pretty concentrated. The Royal Mile and Old Town are definitely worth seeing. Found this alternative tourist guide which suggests a couple of interesting places you might want to visit - http://scotland-travel.suite101.com/article.cfm/edinburgh
Hotel-wise there is one on St Mary's Street, just off the Royal Mile, which is okay and very central. Have fun!

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

Edinburgh Castle

by Andrew_Vodo

Visit the Edinburgh Castle, it is a must. City landscape seen from there is really great! The caslt itself is very interesting. You can see here the Stone of Destiniy and the other Scotland kings' regalia.

DEAN VILLAGE

by globetrott

" Dean Village " is a part of town, where you think, that time stood still... Just a few streets south of Princess Street you find this small quarter with the houses that reminded me very much of the scenery of 'Oliver Twist' or 'Mary Poppins'.

General Stuff

by Marpessa

Backpack (don't fill completely - leave room for stuff/items you pick up along the way) Comfortable shoes (like sneakers)
An umbrella
Dress in layers Bottle of water and something to snack on Believe me - wandering around you'll lose track of the time, so it's always good to have some food with you.

Stockbridge

by uglyscot

Stockbridge is a bohemian part of Edinburgh with boutiques and second hand shops.It was the place where people brought agricultural products into Edinburgh , crossing the water of Leith by a bridge, hence the name.
David Roberts, the artist whose watercolours of Egypt are well know came from here.
The colonies were streets designed to house the artisans working on the estate covering the area of Stockbridge and Inverleith. The end of the colonies is an area known as Canonmills, where grain was brought to be ground into flour.
Today some of the houses facing the main street have a carved design representing the trade of the artisans living in the street. Some of those I saw were of carpenters, smiths, masons, wheelwrights.

Tourist shopping heaven

by Dabs about Royal Mile

Take the shopping on Princes Street and multiply it by 100 and that's what you will find along the Royal Mile. Store after store of woolen goods, including the huge woolen mill store near Edinburgh Castle that you can get lost in for a good 1/2 hour, Celtic Jewelry, shortbreads, shot glasses and various other gifts that you just need to bring home from Edinburgh.

After looking through a dozen store for jewelry and at least a dozen more for a tartan scarf, I finally bought a scarf at one of these stores, the prices were within L1 of all the other stores for similar quality. I was looking for the family tartan, the one I shunned so many years ago on my first visit. I hadn't remembered that the family name of Rankin wasn't a clan name, instead we are a some sort of subgroup under the McLean's. In any event, this time I bought one, the red and green pattern go well with my winter coat :-)

Comments