Edinburgh City Guesthouse

More about Edinburgh

Edinburgh - ScotlandEdinburgh - Scotland

St. Giles CathedralSt. Giles Cathedral

Edinburgh castleEdinburgh castle

bagpipe player performing by monumentbagpipe player performing by monument

special things to do during xmas in Edinburgh???

by aquilaqb

I'll be spending my Xmas in Edinburgh this year and since pretty much everything will be close I guess on dec 25th I am wondering if anyone here has a special recommendation? where to go things to see ??? Do you have lots of snow in edinburgh (I come from Quebec city, Canada)???

ALso I would like to go to a place easy and not too long by bus or train from Edingurgh where I could see cows (those nice looking Highland cows with their hairy looks)??? I would thing they are still outside grazing during winter? they must be used to cold :)

thanks for any tips.

Cheers!

by Beausoleil

Many of the Scot castles have a herd of Highland cattle. Check a couple castle web sites and see if they offer that information. It might be easier than trying to find them out in the country. They are gorgeous, though, aren't they?

Did you know they are raised in western Canada? They adapt well to the weather so they are now being bred there.

by aquilaqb

Thanks for the links and tips.

Yes, Highlands cow are found in the Eastern township are especially around Knowlton (a famous ceramist has some, Robin Badger).

Tkans again, I am sure I'll have a great time in Edinburgh (might visit Loch Ness?)

by Craigellachie

Loch Ness is about three to four hours from Edinburgh so with the limited hours of daylight at that time of year you'll have to plan your trip carefully to see anything :) Not trying to put you off, just letting you know.

by aquilaqb

!!!! Completly forgot about that! Edinburgh is at 55 deg north, about 600nm to the north of where I live so, indeed night will come earlier!!!

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll check the ephemerids to see when sun will set when I am there and plan accordingly.

Cheers

ps. any one here knows of a site with a few words in welsh or some particular dialect spoken in Scotland, to say things like hello, bonjour and thanks???

by aquilaqb

even better... gaelic I know I have a book somewhere in my library and I might learn a few phrases or two ;)

thanks

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

the grassmarket the castle ...

by richy

the grassmarket the castle best though to buy one of these tickets to travel the whole of edinburgh theres lots of things during the festival we have so many which one to start the military tattoo the fringe (where all the world desends on edinburgh and partys for 5 weeeks everything acting during the fringe living in the capital where history is rich

Dining out...reservations a must

by tan1415

Hi,

If you're like me and like to eat well. I suggest doing some research yourself or ask on websites like this.
Don't depend on the Concierges of your hotel.
But the most important advice that i can give is: MAKE RESERVATIONS.
Even on a thursday evening...all the good restaurants seemed to be fully booked...when I was there I tried to book a table at the tower, Dubh Prais, Oloroso. All full.

Enede up at a toruist trap place. Called Jacksons. Food was kinda overpriced. Seemed not freshly made and full of tourists. Funny thing was..this restaurant was recommended by concierges and other restauranteurs. (Hope this is not a good restaurant by edinburgh standards)

Edinburgh Gunners Rugby

by clivedinburgh

Edinburgh Rugby also play their games at Murrayfield (Celtic League & Heineken Cup) with an adult ticket costing from £15 with an online discount. The West Stand is used to give a crowd capacity of just over 12000. The team are now totally independent of the SRU following a buyout by the Carruthers' brothers in the summer of 2006.

Recommend the Roseburn Bar & Murrayfield Arms for the pre/post match drinks.

Rosslyn chapel: exterior

by uglyscot

Having read a lot about Rosslyn Chapel, and then all the hype resulting from Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code", I decided I'd better satisfy my curiosity and pay a visit. The chapel from the outside was a disappointment as it was shrouded in scaffolding. The queue to get tickets was long, and inside was packed, so actually being able to examine and photograph the interesting carvings was hard.
However, I am glad I made the effort, but would like to have gone before it had become so famous.
The chapel belongs to the St Clair family who have links with the Templars and the Merovingian Kings. There is a graveyard round the chapel, and more burial grounds justdown the road.

Edinburgh Nightlife

by Sandye3 about Three Sisters

I just asked the locals were funs places to go whereand I was told the Three Sisters and on that same street I went to like 4 other places that were great. I had read that the bouncers at the bars and clubs were mean and that it was hard to get in. But I had the complete opposite experince. All of the Boucers were super friendly and had no trouble getting in anywhere. I think the best tip is to dress nicely. I'm a girl and I would mainly wear dark jeans and a cute top with heels or cute dress. I think the bouncers just don't want to see people that looked like they rolled out of bed. Don't wear things like flip flops and if you don't want to dress up to go to the clubs , chances are it isn't your scene anyways.

Comments