Edinburgh Grosvenor Hilton

Satisfaction Average

Costs 23% more and rated 15% lower than other 4 star hotels

• spocklogic's Profile Photo

Edinburgh Hotel Near Haymarket

The hotel Grosvenor is rather old as an establishment there I gather, dating back to the 1930's perhaps and maybe older. The building itself dates to around circa 1860's so it wasn't originally a hotel, but converted to one later. Nevertheless, the interior is modern, perhaps 1990's style interior and relatively clean. The room I had was called a Jr. Suite and consisted of a spacious bedroom with widescreen TV and decent sized desk. An accessory room, or rather more a lounge area consisted of a sofa with another widescreen TV (larger than in the bedroom) mounted on the wall. Plenty of closet and drawer space available and a good bathroom too. The room only has wall mounted space heaters, and I was skeptical they would keep the room warm on a chilly night, but they did the trick. Not toasty warm, mind you, but enough so I didn't feel cold. I was told there is a charge for wifi, but the free access code for the lobby works in the rooms too. No free bottled water though and no mini-bar available either.

I have some complaints about the staff here. It's an odd mix of people and ones in the bar and restaurant area are the most friendly and helpful. I give them all high marks for providing consistently good service and friendly demeanor. Reception on the other hand was hit and miss. I asked for the loan of a power converter and was told someone would bring it up. I had to go down and get it eventually as nobody delivered it. Another time I asked about currency exchange. They would do that for a commission, but were entirely ignorant on other options except to try a bank or post office. In asking questions about rates in Scotland I got the 'shrugging shoulders' response. They didn't seem very knowledgeable about restaurants either and overheard a conversation or two by other guests that the places the hotel recommended were not that good.

Well, I have mixed feelings about this hotel. It's not bad, but feel it could do better, especially regarding reception. They just seemed not all that well informed and lacking some enthusiasm for service that I found a bit annoying. With that said, they redeemed themselves a bit by helping us arrange a Highlands tour later. In this regard they were quite helpful. All in all, it may depend on your preference and criteria, but I generally expect better service than I got here in a hotel that carries the Hilton name. This is in regard mostly to the reception staff. I don't like to use the word lazy, but that was my impression - maybe lacking enthusiasm describes the situation better.

I had a comfortable and pleasant stay otherwise. The lounge is especially nice to watch TV and have a pint or two at very reasonable prices. The hotel is located near Haymarket train station, which is convenient, and there are banks, a post office, convenience store, pharmacy, restaurants and pubs nearby with only one or two minutes walk. It's a bit away from the city center (a small issue with location perhaps), but even then only 15-20 minutes by foot, or quicker by Haymarket station to Waverley (only one stop) and you are right in the center of things.

Unique Quality: Conveniently located near Haymarket train station, where there are many decent restaurants with a variety of international cuisine. Hotel also has a fine bar area with wide screen tv's and reasonably priced drinks.

Directions: Haymarket area, very close to the train station

• Good location, great service but single rooms tiny

I stayed at this hotel for four nights in early July. The location was very convenient and the service from all staff members was excellent (even when mobs of unhappy soccer fans were less than polite to them.) On the whole I would stay here again, but be warned that the single rooms are so small you can barely wheel your suitcase into the room. Also one of my co-workers got a room on the 2nd floor, west side which caught the afternoon sunrays. That massive brick radiated the afternoon heat into his room all night long and it was stifling. So if you want to be comfortable, insist on a double room and avoid the west side of the building.

This hotel was doing renovation on the first floor in July 2006 with lots of noisy workman pounding and scraping away next to the lounge area, plastic sheeting everywhere, and that hallway closed off. So those of us with rooms on the other side of the construction had to exit the building, travel along the sidewalk, and re-enter at another door to reach our room. This was not a big deal to me, and I was far enough from the renovation that I heard nothing in my room. But some folks really hate renovation work during their hotel stays, so ask in advance.

Unique Quality: Breakfasts were good with a wide variety of choices. Staff service was excellent in every department (reception, restaurant, concierge, etc). This hotel obviously values customer service and manages accordingly.

Directions: Walking distance to International Conference Centre

• weewatty's Profile Photo

Homely Hilton in Scotlands Capital

Stayed here for a night in April 2005, a bitty different from your run of the mill Hilton.

We were accomadted in the Hilton Grosvenor Club which is located across the road from the main Hotel. At first we thought this may be not as good as the main hotel but were pleasantly surprised by our homely surroundings. Seems more like a traditional Scottish Bed and Breakfast but with all the usual Hilton extras.

Located in the up market West End of Edinburgh in amongst some very expensive real estate I would call this place a boutique hotel, full of character and period features.

Breakfast is the usual high standard you expect, just fill your face!!!!

We stayed on a weekend so were able to park just on the streets beside the hotel, but i guess this would not be so simple during the week due to high parkin charges.

Only a 15 minute stroll from Princess Street and Castle, i liked this hotel.

Unique Quality: The Library Style Wallpaper in the bedrooms(see pic).

Rustic Charm.

Directions: Just beside Haymarket Railway Station, 10 min walk up Shandwick Place from the end of Princess Street.

• RGILG's Profile Photo

Fair deal in Edinburgh :)

Stayed there end of April 2004, got a fair rate - especially when compared to other accomodation offered. It's a bit worn out you might say, but it adds up to an "old world" charm on the other hand. Room was okay, bed comfortable enough although not the best I've ever tried. Bathroom was clean and good, and the front desk staff really nice and helpfull.

Unique Quality: Breakfast buffet gives you a great choice, even for those who need a more substantial meal than just toast&coffee... :) Including haggies, meatballs, sausages, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms!
    Location is actually excellent - it takes only 7 minutes easy walk to the Princess Street, but you also have an option of riding (one of the numerous) bus which gets you there even faster.

Directions: Just around the corner from the Haymarket station.

• Haggis for Breakfast

Going to the rugby? This hotel is well within walking distance of both Murrayfield and Princess Street, so can cater for both sexes with shopping and sport. It's quite an old hotel, and feels it. No double glazing in the room I had meant an early rise to the traffic outside. No spa or pool either, but the upside is that at least it has some character unlike many of the glass houses that Hilton's tend to be. Great breakfast buffet too, with fried tattie scones, black pudding and haggis. Your arteries won't thank you but your stomach will.

Unique Quality: Creaky stairs.

Directions: Central.

More about Edinburgh Grosvenor Hilton

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor - Nothing to complain about

by TripAdvisor Member RachAl

We stayed at the Hilton Grosvenor Club (Over flow)for 3 nights and found the room to be large, very warm and quiet - infact the exact opposite to what we'd expected having read other reviews before travelling. Ok the staff could have been a bit friendlier, a smile wouldn't have gone a miss!
The food was average but considering we had a three-course meal on the first and third night and breakfast every morning included in the price, which was under £200, it was very reasonable!
You do get what you pay for however, and if i had spent the going rate for 3 nights at a city centre Hilton a complaint would have been justified.
Don't be put off by other reviews, Unless we were just incredibly lucky!

A joy.

by TripAdvisor Member michelle120975

Nothing to negative to say about the Hilton. We stayed for 2 nights for 179
pounds.This included a 3 course dinner on the first evening and breakfast both
mornings. The room was very tastefuly decorated and clean and the staff were
potlite. The only downside to this hotel is that there is not parking for the
hotel itself but there are quite a few public carparks and some street parking
as well. Well located and only a short walk to the Castle but there is a train
nearby. Will definatly stay there again.l

A bit of a mixed bag

by TripAdvisor Member Paul200

Having read the reviews (after I'd booked) I was quite worried that our 2 day stay would be a nightmare. We stayed on a Hilton internet deal - 2 nights B&B plus dinner on the first night for £160 total.

The hotel is located on both sides of the road - The Grovenor Hilton on one side and what is called the Grovenor Club on the other. We were located in the Grovenor Club which I suspect is used as an overflow for those on the cheap deals. Not really a problem as breakfast is served in the Grovenor Club but dinner is taken in the main hotel.

I was pleasantly suprised by the size, outlook (on to a green tree lined square) and general state of the room. Having read the previous reviews I suspect that there may be number of small, grotty rooms and it is the luck of the draw if you get a half decent one. Our room was a bit tired and the bathroom could really have done with a bit of a makeover and a good clean. However, there were no damp smells as previously reported and the bedding and towels were clean.

The breakfast was just about OK but it really could have done with being a bit hotter. The inclusive dinner on the first night was very good - we paid a £6.00 supplement for fillet steak. The staff were pleasant and the restaurant service was fine.

All-in-all we had a good stay but I suspect there could be some very poor rooms in the hotel.

a shame to have stayed there

by TripAdvisor Member Mcchesers

I'm certain that this isn't normal for Hilton hotels. I've stayed in many in the states, but this is by far the worst ever. The lady at the check in desk was quite obviously unhappy with her position, and upon check in physically grabbed my email confirmation from my hand along with my city map, and other documents. Horrible from the door! The room was on the other side of the hotel through a maze of hallways and stairwells. It was supposed to be an executive room, right? Not only was the bathroom free of any amenities, including loo roll..but the toilet had not been flushed. Seeing as how it was Bonfire night, it would have been nice to close the window, but it was jammed open and unmoveable. After phoning the front desk many times with it ringing out, finally someone came up and brought us loo roll, and some shampoo. No breakfast menu on the door, and with no one to answer at the front desk..no chance of breakfast either. In room movies were non functional and the tv kept fading out. The bathroom wasn't even clean. Take your money elsewhere!!!

Decent hotel - not as bad as most reviews suggest

My wife and I spent 2 nights in the Hilton Grosvenor in Edinburgh in early November. We had booked a deal with Hilton where you pay £150 for two nights with breakfast, plus dinner in the restaurant on the first night. We then read the reviews on tripadvisor and became very concerned that we had booked a turkey. Even more worrying - we couldn't get our money back! Luckily for us, the hotel was nowhere near as bad as everyone says. Yes, it is old, and yes, the rooms are small. However, overall, we had value for money. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The "free" meal that we had in the restaurant was better than we expected. We thought that the choice would be very restricted because it was part of the deal. That wasn't the case.

In summary, if you can get the right deal, and you are looking for a comfortable hotel in a central location, then I would recommend the Hilton Grosvenor. And no - I don't work for Hilton!

Credit Card Users be CAREFUL!!

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Grosvenor at the start of the month. We went for 2 nights as it was our first wedding anniversary. We had stayed at the hilton the year before for our honeymoon and had really enjoyed our stay.

The room we stayed in was a standard room, it was very comfortable and clean, as well as spacious. We had our dinner both nights in the hotel and were impressed by the service and food. The breakfast was also very nice, however on the first morning, when we went down for breakfast at 9am we had to wait to get a table as there were none available, the waiting was in a queue as there were alot of guests waiting at that time,we had to wait 30 minutes the second morning we did not have a problem.

The second night before our meal we had a drink at the bar, there was a christmas party on in the function room, which had overspilled into the bar, it was really busy and rowdy. We are both a young couple and are no strangers to rowdy nights out but it just didnt seem appropriate in the hotel and the staff did nothing to de-escalate the situation. Last year we stayed mid week in the Grosvenor club across the road which was a lot quieter we would recommend this for December weekends as it appears that the hilton cater for a lot of xmas parties.

All in all we did really enjoy our weekend at the hilton in edinburgh and were not put off, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel is lovely.

However when we returned home we received a statement through from the hilton with £200 charged to our credit card. We had given the hotel a photocopy of our credit card on arrival as requested. During our stay we never used our credit card, we only used cash in the hotel. On phoning I was put through to the financial manager, who after investigation told me that somebody elses bill had been charged to my credit card and that it would be taken off immediately. We were offered a token gesture apolopgy. As yet we have not received our credit card statement so watch this space!!! This has been off putting, we have stayed at hiltons on different occassions and have never experienced anything negative, we are hoping that this was a once off, as hiltons are great for a relaxing weekend away.

Comments