10 E. Hermitage Pl., Edinburgh, EH6 8AA, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Edinburgh Thistle Guest House

Contemplating Hogmanay

by marksda1

I haven't quite made up my mind yet, but I'm considering coming to Edinburgh for Hogmanay, having read about it first last year. And as BA is doing a promotion to London right now, I thought I might fly to London a few days before and take a train up to Edinburgh, take in some sights and enjoy the New Year being rung in Scottish style.

Now, the main question is loding. I'd been thinking of doing it the more rough and tumble way and staying in a hostel - my one travel experience so far was budget hotel in London, but I'm a little more willing to try a hostel if I know it's for a short duration before moving on, as I'll probably head back to London afterwards for a couple of days sight-seeing before my plane back to USA.

I checked out Hostel vacancies on www.hostelworld.com and they don't show much. What can anyone tell me about the following places that are returned as having vacancies:

City Centre Guest House
The Globetrotter Inn Edinburgh
Cowgate Tourist Hostel
Highlander Backpackers
Argyle Backpackers Hotel
Kelly's Guest House
Aynetree Guest House
Merith House Hotel

And are there other places you'd suggest that might not show up on a search at hostel world?

Thanks! I've got a few days to make my decision, but I'm worried that I might not find some place to stay!

Re: Contemplating Hogmanay

by Sileas

The Scottish Youth Hostels Association also has 2 permanent hostels in Edinburgh
check www.syha.org.uk

Re: Re: Contemplating Hogmanay

by marksda1

Thanks - I checked out the Youth Hostel link and only one had any availability - Edinburgh Bruntsfield, which I gather from the description is a little removed from the central area where Hogmanay is?

I noticed a link in another thread that lead me to some other options, one of which is the Edinburgh Thistle Guest House. Any feedback on this one? Apparently 1.5 miles from Edinburgh Castle.

Re: Contemplating Hogmanay

by RhineRoll

I've stayed at Kelly's Guesthouse. I'd say it's okay, slightly above average. Situated on a main road, there should be good bus connections into central Edinburgh.

One thing to ask about when staying at a B&B in winter is heating & isolation. When staying at Kelly's it was summer, but I've staye at Ardgarth Guest house over Hogmanay 2001, and we were freezing in our rooms, even though there were two radiators running full-force.

The best thing about Edinburgh Hogmanay is the many events before and after IMO. For me as a wheelchair user, things really became dangerous during the Hogmanay street party. The place is packed, if anybody falls, people will trample over him. I was pushed around and really feared for my life.

Comments