George Hotel Edinburgh

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 61% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• ppz's Profile Photo

Not coming back

Bad: feels really old and not in a good way, desperately needs quite a lot of renovation (for a 4* property) and, for what it is, overpriced. Certainly doesn't live up to the InterContinental brand name - no wonder they are selling it off.

Good: pleasant bar with a good selection of drinks (but hey - you're in Scotland!!), very nice staff and good location - smack in the middle of New Town.

For what it's worth, Blondie (yes, the band) stayed there for the 2005 Hogmanay :-)

• 200 year old ambience in Edinburgh hotel

The hotel is very old, and it shows. Designed by Robert Adam over 200 years ago, the corridors have a truly old feel to them, and the floor presses down a little under the carpet in many places.. most rooms are somewhat renovated and have medium-aged furniture etc., but the plumming caused problems and the TV picture was bad. The public areas however, are top-notch all the way. As was the service.

Unique Quality: 195 rooms, bar, restaurant etc.
    Breakfast was excellent! Try to get a room rate where it's included as it can cost quite a bit otherwise. Prices around / both sides of GBP 100 per room per night depending on the time of year.

Directions: Near city centre, excellent location, near Princess Street

• KittyLou's Profile Photo

Georgian style on George Street

We stayed here because we belonged to the "Six Continents" program. We had a car to meet us at the airport as part of the plan. The driver was very understanding about my bag taking a while to turn up. Once at the hotel it was pleasant. The staff was great, except maybe at Breakfast. Breakfast was included but like all Inter-Continentals the buffet was ample but so-so. (Getting an herbal tea could take a while if ever.)

We enjoyed the Clans Bar. Good selection of single malts and light meal choices.

Unique Quality: Room very nice, comfortable style, everything you would wish for in a better chain setting.

More about George Hotel Edinburgh

George Hotel shabby

My husband booked a three day stay at the George Hotel as a tenth wedding anniversary surprise. From the hotel website I expected an elegant and well presented hotel with friendly staff but were disappointed. We arrived on a early flight and had arranged to check our bags in (which is not a problem in any other hotel)unfortunately not only did they have a problem with the arrangement, but they had no record of our booking. We showed them confirmation they had sent in writing, but after half an hour of the general managers curt and sharp 'help', we were promised they would find us 'something if we came back later.
We arrived back five hours later to be taken to a room with worn out carpet and furniture, every fixture and fitting had seen better days, you can tell it must have been beautiful ten - fifteen years ago but now needs major reinvestment to be restored to it's former glory. When even the bath enamel is in parts lumpy and in others worn through and rusted, it can be difficult to see how the hotel deserves anything over a three star rating. To sum up, the public areas are lovely, the rooms are worn out, but if you just need a basic place to stay to enjoy Edinburgh it's fine, although not worth the price. Oh yes...on a Saturday night the noise from the Nightclub across the road will keep you awake until well after 3.00am when the crowds disperse. Either go out and join them or bring your earplugs.

Eat Well in Walkerburn

by into-thin-air about The George Hotel

The George Hotel is situated on the Main Street of Walkerburn and is an Excellent choice for dinner, The Restaurant is spacious and comfortable, the staff are friendly and the food is Great -- I had Scottish beef and it just melted in the mouth -- Mmmmm Beautiful !!!!

not 5 star but still excellent

We stayed from the 18.02.05 for 2 nights at the George InterContinental. Overall, it is not a 5 Star hotel as there is no gym or pool. But still the hotel offers a superb location on George Street and our room 553 had a fantastic view over the coastline. The interior itself was in very good condition with a small bathroom. But everything was 100% clean and welcoming. Very positve is the friendly and helpful service at all times. From reception to the concierge and the restaurant team. We also had dinner in the Champertin Restaurant which was good value for money. We would def. stay there again. For all those guests, who are looking for a modern and stylish hotel - go somewhere else. This hotel is for guests, who love the "old style" and charme of the past.

Expected more from an InterContinental

by TripAdvisor Member worldman1

Stay there for 1 night in February. The hotel is a bit worn-out. The rooms are big (I had 3 beds) but you see that is needs some renoviation. The location and service, on the other hand, were very good.

V Poor

Stayed here on a tour of the British Isles, and it was by far the worst hotel I have stayed in since the time I stayed at the Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport - staff barely spoke English, first room had threadbare carpet, and couldn't switch off heating. Second room better, but hotel very very tired. For the fees they're charging it's high time IC Hotels put a little back into the building, and kept a little less for themselves. Try a backpacker hostel - it will certainly represent better value for money!

Wonderful service, wonderful view

by TripAdvisor Member wild_gypsy18

My husband and I stayed in a deluxe room in April. Being regular visitors to Edinburgh we've stayed in a number of hotels in the city (including the Balmoral, which a few previous reviewers have mentioned). This, however, is the one I would recommend to friends and family. Three reasons:
* Great staff service
* Breath-taking views from some rooms
* Very central location

Reading the other reviews here I agree that the furniture does have a few knocks - but who's looking at the furniture when you've a gorgeous view over the north of the city and the Firth of Forth?! Wow, the view was breath-taking, the downside being that it was a struggle to want to go out and see the city!

The George probably could do with a lick of paint, but I honestly did not think it at all shabby, just a little tired. The room was huge, and so light and airy. Can't say about the standard rooms, however.

Parking may be a problem if the hotel is very busy - but for £9.50 the hotel valet parked our car at the back of the hotel, where we parked for 24 hours without a hitch. And lets face it, on George Street, do you really expect lots of parking? If you want that, then stay somewhere less central.

From the Concierge to Check-In, staff here were marvellous - friendly, courteous and professional. They really did everything they could to make our stay special, and it worked. We will certainly be checking in to the George on our next visit to this lovely city.

Rubbish

I stayed at this place on business on the 20th April 2005 for 1 night. It was booked for me by a travel service. I read the reviews after booking and thought, "oh dear" but I was hopeful that things couldn't be as bad as some reviewers had said. Given that the room rate was £108, I hoped it would be worth it. I was wrong. From the front, the hotel looks good and the public areas are clean and spacious. This was deceptive and not indicative of the rest of the hotel.

The lifts were old and shook when moving.My room was decidedly small, and dirty, with a tiny and very damp-smelling bathroom - there was a very rusty metal grill above the bath that I presume was meant to direct steam out of the bathroom. The bath itself was worn out and the seal around it was dirty and mouldy. The carpet in the room was dirty and stained. All of the furniture was chipped and scratched.

I complained about the room but was told by an indifferent receptionist that the hotel was full and there was nothing that could be done. Great.

A member of staff came to my door at 6pm and handed me a card that said "Welcome back to the Grand, Mr Robertson." I don't know who Mr Robertson is but presume he'd come to his senses and cancelled.

I have travelled extensively around the UK and I must say that this is one of the worst hotels I have stayed at. I received a reduction of £20 on checking out but this doesn't make me feel any better.

Edinburgh Airport - City Centre

by jorgegomes

Which is the best way to go from Edinburgh to George street (City Centre). If I have to pick a taxi, somebody know the price?
Thanks

by PeteG

Hi

A taxi is about £15, but I would get the bus. It is very easy and cheap. A return ticket on the bus is only about £6. They run every few minutes and are not a lot slower than a taxi as there is a bus only lane on the road between the airport and the city.

When you come out of the airport onto the road, the bus stop is only 30 metres to your right. You won't miss it. Also, most of the bus drivers call out the names of the stops so you won't go too far!

Have a great time.

Peter

by jorgegomes

Thank you for your answer. I saw now in the net a mini-bus service shuttle, every 15 min from the airport to George Hotel for 8£. It's a good bargain?

by PeteG

That sounds ok to me - the bus is still the cheapest option, but I guess the mini bus is probably more comfortable.

by clivedinburgh

The Airbus 100 service operates from right outside the arrivals exit door, it will only be slightly slower than Taxi and you will be able to get off on Princes St which is only 50m from George St. Cost is £3 single or £5 return, see my Edinburgh transport tips for the website details.

The minibus service is reliant on the bus being full for to meet the £8 fare and it is quite posible that it will require to detour to other areas in the stated central zone before dropping you off.

Comments