Greywalls

Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux
Expedia.com Splendia.com Travelocity

Costs 85% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Edinburgh

View from the Espy after a showerView from the Espy after a shower

Location Map of the Pear Tree House, EdinburghLocation Map of the Pear Tree House, Edinburgh

Scottish Parliament, EdinburghScottish Parliament, Edinburgh

Murrayfield Ice Arena - Caps home iceMurrayfield Ice Arena - Caps home ice

First NYE in Edinburgh

by Dirt4fun

This is my first trip to Scotland. I'll be in Edinburgh over New Years. From my understanding, most of the fun and excitement happens on Princes street, so I got a hotel room near there. Does anyone have any advice on where to hit on NYE? What is the dress of the general area (black tie, casual, in-between)?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...

by leics

You'll only need a black tie if you're going somewhere very posh (which you would already have booked...little chance of getting anywhere at this last stage).

Good advice above: warm waterproof coat, layers, hat/scarf/gloves essential if you intend being outside for any length of time. :-)

If you want to celebrate mainly inside then casual or smart casual will work fine, according to where you go.

by leics

*late stage* not *last stage* !

by clivedinburgh

The party on Princes St is ticket only and it has been cancelled at the last minute several times in recent years due to poor weather. Lots of the popular bars require tickets for entry on Hogmonay but you should be able to find a few places. Le Monde has always ran entry on a first through the door basis. I'd suggest trawling the websites to see what's available.

by Dirt4fun

Thanks for the info all. I just picked up a ticket for the street party, hopefully, it doesn't get canceled. I'm traveling alone, so I don't think I'll have much issue getting a ticket for someplace.

Cheers...

Jim

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

Spend more time in Edinburgh

by don_kam

I find that most people do not allocate enough time to Edinburgh. Either because of its proximity to London (most will rather spend more days in London) or the fact that the city itself is small in size.

But I will really really recommend spending more time here. The air is fresh, the people are friendly and most importantly, the view is great!! It is rather different from most of the European cities I have been to.

Feels rather cosy and peaceful, which is amazing considering its the capital of Scotland. (definatelty not London-like)

Edinburgh Tip

by bluefelt

This is Victoria Lane, on the way to my first glimpse around the College of Art. What a great intro to a really cool area of the city. Lights are beginning to be strung around for the winter celebrations...too bad I left before that.

Traveling in January

by Dabs

I come from a cold winter climate so I was fine with a Columbia mid weight jacket layered with a fleece pullover. When I climbed to the top of Edinburgh Castle and Calton Hill, I was very glad I had a hat and gloves. Good walking shoes are essential, Edinburgh is a great walking town but you will be going up and down a lot and some of the pavement is uneven. Umbrellas do not seem to be widely used but that doesn't mean you shouldn't bring one, it drizzled in the late afternoon each day I was there. Nothing out of the ordinary Bring lots of film or memory, the views here are fabulous Money matters-ATM machines are available at the airport and in town, credit cards widely accepted

Hiking in Highland

by Cool-123

I joined a walking company when I stayed in Edinburgh. I was definitely attracted by the booklet - Escape to the Hills. It is a young and vibrant company to dedicated to showing people the beautiful mountainous countryside of the Scottish Highlands. I can't forget those lovely hills and mountains and I chased the sheep on the top of the hill.

Nice and unusual things

by Sjalen about various

Victoria Street is not only beautiful with its colourful houses but those houses also host some of the more unusual shops in the city. You can buy books, brooms, Barbour jackets or decorations and other things you didn't know you needed.

Comments