Hawthorne House

15 West Terrace, South Queensferry, Edinburgh, EH30 9LL, United Kingdom

More about Hawthorne House

a great team!

by TripAdvisor Member charlyZoetermeer

My stay of almost a week was great at the Inverleith hotel. Close to the city centre, nice rooms, great service! I got ill during my stay, and they arranged everything for me: The hospital visit, informing the family, extra cleaning of the room, etc.
If you're looking for a nice and quit place to stay, this B&B is definitely a great place to be..

(and I Loved the breakfast!)

Mixed Feelings

by TripAdvisor Member TEUCHTER

My wife and I weekend in Edinburgh frequently and decided to try a different part of town for our latest stay and having read the reviews tried the Inverleith Hotel.
It is in a nice part of town,reasonbaly central but generally quiet with plenty of nearby restuarants. The walk into the city centre is all uphill but a pleasant stroll and should not pose a problem for most able bodied people,there are plenty buses and taxis for those who don't fancy the walk.
The reviews on here are mixed and I tend to lean towards the poorer reviews. Many people have mentioned the helpful and amiable owners - the only staff I saw all weekend were a young eastern European couple who seemed to be running the place. They were pleasant and efficient,just doing their jobs but no more.The breakfast was better than average and served in a fairly cramped breakfast room.
We had a room on the second floor in a family room - it was adequate for 2 but would have been very cramped for the 3 people it is intended for.The most disappointing aspect was the dirty carpet and the wooden surrounds of the window which had not been cleaned of mildew for some time.
Overall I would say that it is pushing it to descibe the Inverleith as a hotel - it is basically a Guest House and there are plenty of good Guest Houses in Edinburgh

Perfect location

by TripAdvisor Member cllogger

We are a family of five travelling to Edinburgh for the first time.
We found the apartment on Hanover Street, which was just wonderful. There was plenty of room for each of us, including a full service kitchen. We did not do a lot of cooking, but had breakfast in every day, snacks and a few dinners. The apartment had everything we needed, including a washing machine! The location could not have been more perfect - waking distance to Princess St. and the Royal Mile. The bus stop was right outside our door when we needed to take the bus. Public transportation was excellent- even the bus drivers were helpful! The owners,
steve and Adrienne Case were super helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about their town. They gave us many helpfull tips that made our stay even more enjoyable. I highly recommend Inverleigth hotel and apartment.
Pat Arnold, Torrance, California USA

A very tight squeeze

by TripAdvisor Member Larep

I was surprised to see this hotel so highly rated until I read that there is quite a disparity in rooms. We were assigned one of the attic rooms on the top which meant climbing two narrow staircases with our luggage. Just as well we didn't bring a cat along to swing. The bathroom wasn't much bigger than one you'd find on an aircraft. Definately a no-no for visitors who are elderly, disabled in any way or of larger size. The breakfast was very so-so, but the service was friendly and rooms clean enough. We could only book for a minimum of two nights - would this be so we couldn't change our minds once we'd seen the room? Fortunately we had a busy schedule which meant we only used the room for sleeping. It is a great location for the botanical gardens and about a 20 - 30 minute walk to downtown.

decent accomodation, outstanding location

by TripAdvisor Member bioford

We booked the self-catering apartment on Brandon street since we were a family group (6 at first, then 7), and it could save us money. I was at first a little disappointed (arrived in the dark), but I confess, I was wrong. The apt is fine, if a little tired, but really, better than many hotels I've been in the UK. We did spend a little time on cleaning on arrival, which given the "leave it as you find it" contract should not have happened. I used a lot of Mr Muscle to clean the range hood filter (you are welcome). If the Inverleith is subcontracting a cleaner for in-between stays, they might want to do some follow-up. After the initial effort, it was not bad at all. Grocery and take-away within 2 minutes on Brandon/Dundas Street. Buses outside the door. At night, the street is quiet, without any of the noise and traffic of pub zones. Windows closed it's dead quiet. The apt has washer (hanging rack, no dryer), dishwasher, all the basics. Vacuum bags lacking, but other cleaning supplies good. There is a laundry drop-off (7 GBP) just on Brandon Terrace. Bedrooms cozy (carefully photographed for the website), but adequate. Bathroom great. Lots of towels and linens.
Bus for 2.50 GBP day pass gets you from the door to the Royal Mile, train, Princes, whatever. Taxis 6 GBP or less (Oct 07) to most of the New Town, 7 GBP to the old. Quick, efficient, spacious.If time is critical, book ahead about 30-60 minutes for precise timing.

I heartily recommend the self-catering apt for long stays (we stayed 7 nights), for good foragers. it's not for everybody. If you want independence, location, and a break from hotel food and attitudes, stay here.

Edinburgh from the castleEdinburgh from the castle

View of EdinburghView of Edinburgh

Scottish Parliament, EdinburghScottish Parliament, Edinburgh

Arthur's Seat and Salisbury Crags from Calton HillArthur's Seat and Salisbury Crags from Calton Hill

Princes Street Gardens: Takeaway Lunch

by NanThorpe

Greetings, Edinburgh experts and fans!

I will be visiting this fair city for the first time in July and am planning a day of strolling the Royal Mile.

I thought I would take a lunch break in the Princes Street Gardens whilst waiting for the One O'Clock Gun to fire... I've heard some folks suggest getting a takeaway lunch to be enjoyed in the Gardens.

Does anyone have suggestions on specific places to get good takeaway food in that area? Ideas/info on local specialties, your favorite menu items, interesting beverages... all appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Cheers!

Nancy

by hawkhead

Oh dear...... we have tried it once and it wasn't a successful venture and on subsequent visits have "imported" our own from Glasgow!! However, you can buy sandwiches and other things in Marks & Spencer, Boots, and also in the newsagents just up on Frederick (I think) Street. There is also a restaurant and cafe in the National Gallery of Scotland, both very expensive. The latter is merely a few tables in the loby, whilst the latter looks as though it has pretenitions of grandeur without the food to go with it - BUT, I do admit that I haven't eaten there; this is merely what I have observed from pressing my nose to the glass and from reading the menu! If you are wandering around in the morning, you could drop into any grocery store and see if they have sandwiches/filled rolls, etc./ to take away. Sorry, these are not very exciting suggestions. Most people who eat in the Gardens arrive either with their own food or else it is in ags from M & S, Boots, etc.

by Sjalen

The Baked Potato Shop in Cockburn Street (then walk downhill via the Assembly Rooms to the park). Baked potatoes as they are meant to be - cheese, onion and pinapple is my favorite if still on offer.

by jcourtnellsmith

Wash your lunch down with Irn Bru, Scotland's fizzy drink. Look out for people gasping in shock at the sound of the gun. The locals NEVER get used to it. Also watch for everyone looking at their watches. Enjoy Camera Obscura near the castle.

by aegialichick

for me it would have to be Marks and Spencer (now renamed itself M & S) Simply Food shop right on Princes Street ... they have hundreds of kinds of sandwiches, salads, fruit, juices, bread, cakes, wines, beers ... to make a fantastic picnic!

by NanThorpe

Thank you so much, all! This was exactly the type of info I was hoping for.

I can't wait to be sitting in the Gardens, sipping an Irn Bru, checking my watch and munching on a panini sandwich or perhaps a baked potato with spicy hummus and avocado!

More advice welcome... this is such a terrific site.

Cheers!