Heriott Park Guest House

Scottish Parliament, EdinburghScottish Parliament, Edinburgh

revellersrevellers

Edinburgh for the Tattoo

by obstrporous

Looking for a good, clean and reasonably priced hotel or B&B near the Castle as we are going to the Tattoo in August. Any thoughts?
Thank you.

by welshwanderer

Hi,

Not sure how far this place is from the castle but I think it looks ok for the price on offer.

Check out the following link for more info:

www.glenburn.freeserve.co.uk

hi,
Greetings from adelaide, australia. I see you are heading to the tattoo this august. Me too! Do you have a ticket? I've been lucky enough to get one...so im really looking forward to it. I hope you can find some reasonable priced accommodation during august in edinburgh because from now it can be very very hard...the prices go crazy expensive the closer to the city ccentre you are. I am staying at Frederick House, which is in frederick street..$165 aussie dollars a night...so not cheap.

When are you in edinburgh in august? I'm there from the 17th to 21st and then 28th to 30th.

Hope you are well.

Rachel H

by kitty_09

Hello from Australia

I am coming over in August for a month... and I am planning on doing the Tattoo thing and staying somewhere? So are there no tickets left for the tattoo?

Greetings from adelaide.
When in august are you going to edinburgh? I am from adelaide and I will be there 17th-21st august and then again from 28th until 30th (after my rabbie's tour). I purchased my edinburgh tattoo ticket through rabbie's tours and i am going on the 19th august. I can't wait.
You could still be able to get a few tickets...check out the official website (i think it is edinburghtattoo.com.uk - or something like that).
Where abouts from aussie are you from? if we are in edinburgh at the same time we may be able to catch up. Have you booked accommodation?

Rachel H

by kitty_09

Hey, Im from Victoria,

I havnt booked anything except my flight, but i do have family over there so i think that i will be staying with them, but still need to discuss that with them. I am in Scotland from 1st August for exactly a month! I will deffinatly look into those tickets on the site, so i book by just using a credit card and they will take the correct amount for the exchange rate? sorta thing?

Hi from Adelaide!
I think the ticket was around 28 pounds but was included as part of the tour cost. I paid with my credit card. As Rabbie's Tours account was in english pounds, my bank charged me an 'international currency fee' or something like that of around $32.00 aussie dollars (I noticed this on my bill).

I think if you purchase the tickets through the website, thats if there is any available, i'm sure that you could pay by credit card...You might have to look into it though.

As you know the edinburgh festival is on as well so there'll be plenty to do and see. I'm not there as long as you, so you'll have lots more time to check things out and relax. Let me know how things go.

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

First Impressions Last

by Eric1977

I have lived in Scotland for many years and I have yet to be unimpressed by this wonderful city. I will never forget getting off the train at waverley station and walking along Princes Street. Blow me down with a feather if this isn't one of the prettiest capitals on Earth. If Edinburgh has a failing it may lie within a certain section of its residents. You know the ones I am talking about, public school etc. However I always look forward to going back, magic place all round. If I have one general tip take a train ride to Inverkeithing in order to see one of the most impressive man made structures in the British Isles, the Forth Rail Bridge. New years eve 1998/9. First time at hogmanay is always the best.

go shopping at Kinnaird Park. ...

by SusanneBeck

go shopping at Kinnaird Park. I did this on my first day in Edinburgh. Had to get 2 buses there but it was worth it. Kinnaird Park, known locally as The Fort, is a lovely retail park and is a few miles outside the city centre. There's a variety of shops to visit but not many places to get food. We spent ages walking round looking for somewhere to get lunch. We were just thinking we'd have to buy sandwiches from Boots when we found a McDonalds. Good old McDonalds, always there when you need them! Kinnaird Park also has the one and only 'Pilot' shop in Edinburgh. It was great - we don't have Pilot shops at home and this one was massive. Pilot, for those of you who don't know, is a brilliant woman's clothes shop and it's quite cheap too so now I have a lovely, new, purple top! There are also shops like Topshop, Next, H&M and Toys r us. It's quite a new shopping centre and there are still lots of empty business units. It'll be great in a few months or so when the new shops are there. Finding all the latest albums on cd for £9.99 in Comet! I just had to buy Hearsay's new album and support them in their early days...

Cold even in May

by engeluna

A good backpack will do. One with a waist strap is particularly helpful. Good water proof shoes for walking/hiking. Never, ever forget travel toilet paper. You never know when you might find yourself in a bathroom with no paper. A good digital camera and a HUGE memory card. An umbrella that won't turn inside out.
Dryer sheets to keep clothing smelling fresh even (especially) when it's been worn a few times.

haggis part deux

by chaistarr

Day one takes you to Perth, You stop for lunch at Kingaussie, see the Cairngorm Mountains (Britain's highest range), Rothiemurchus Estate Caledonian pine forest and Culloden Moor, which in 1746 was the last Battle of Britain site. From Inverness you travel to Dummnadrochit and Loch Ness, home of the elusive monster, Urquhart Castle and Fort Augustus, where you stay the night. This is your big chance to taste haggis if you've never had it before. On the second day you travel to Invergarry via Cluanie Dam and Loch Cluanie, through the Kintail Mountains and Glenshiel. You will visit Eilean Donan Castle, where Highlander and a recent James Bond film were set. It is one of Scotland's most beautiful castles, privately owned by the MacRae family since the 1400s. Centuries ago it was destroyed and rebuilt from memory. Many years later the original plans turned up and the new castle was found to be 90 percent true to the original. At the Sligachan River everyone is encouraged to take part in one of Scotland's secrets for eternal youth. The story goes that if you immerse your face in the river for just seven seconds you will be beautiful forever. Portree is the capital of the Isle of Skye. Saucy Mary's Lodge in Kyleakin is named after a Norwegian princess who extorted money from ships by charging them a toll to enter the straits of Lochalsh. You will see cairns around the Scottish countryside. These are piles of stones. Highland chiefs used to call for warriors to join them in battle. Those who did left a stone from the land on the pile and if and when they returned from battle, they took the stone home with them. The remaining stones were a memorial to the dead.
glencoe is a very beautiful place with a bloody history. The Campbells massacred the MacDonalds there centuries ago and at Balquidder you will see Rob Roy's grave. Glencoe's mountains are striking.

All You Could Ask For

by steventilly about Princes Street

Princes Street is the hub of the Edinburgh shopping experience. Along it's length is almost every high street chain you can think of, with some local flavour amd some international names thrown in too.
Parallel to and behind Princess Street are Rose Street and George Street, and these and the 3 or 4 little side streets that join these together (each punctauted with a statue of someone or another) contain a wealth of smaller and quite interesting stores.
Towards the eastern end of Princes street is Jenner's - the world's oldest department store. What do you want?

Comments