Edinburgh International Airport, Edinburgh, Scotland EH28 8LL, United Kingdom

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hilton Edinburgh Airport

Dull, dull, dull.

by TripAdvisor Member cb054

This is a dull hotel far to far from the city. A taxi into town will cost you 15 pounds which is far too much. Everything is perfectly clean and comfortable but the food is very expensive £19 for breakfast is frankly a rip-off.

I am sure if you are using it just to go for a flight it's fine but don't base a holiday here.

The choice is yours

by TripAdvisor Member Bob_Mannino

If you worry about missing your flight home and want a hotel that’s close to the Airport, then stay here. If you want a hotel with a very nice pool area, steam room, and exercise facilities to unwind after traveling in Scotland, then stays here. If you are looking to get a fair value for your money, don’t even think about this place. Way over priced for what you get – a motel room! You get a motel room that would be equal to a Holiday Inn Express hotel room off of I-75 in the States for over $250 a night! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was expensive, but fine. You had to pay extra to use the internet terminals in the lobby and you had to pay an extra $2.00 to use a locker in the pool area. The room was an “off the interstate motel room” style room - nothing more or nothing less.

Couldn't fault it

by TripAdvisor Member genesis_74

Stayed here for one night before flying off to Europe in September. Got a great deal on a night's stay and 2 week's parking. The staff were friendly and the service prompt and efficient.
Had no problems picking the car up after the holiday (as has happened with other airport hotels in the past!).
The room was spacious and the cleanliness couldn't faulted.

If you're jetting off from the airport, this is the perfect hotel for you.

Good location for airport

by TripAdvisor Member Moaning Minnies

We stayed for just one night, as we were flying from Edinburgh Airport in the morning. This was booked using Hilton points. Comfortable rooms, to usual Hilton standard. Plenty of mineral water, tea and coffee provided in the room. We did not use other facilities or eat in the hotel, so can't comment on these. Free newspaper! Location is literally next door to the airport, so ideal for those travelling early or arriving late.

1 Night & Couldn't Take Much More

by TripAdvisor Member S&P-Together

The three really good things I can say about this hotel...

1. Staff was very nice
2. Close to hotel (less than 5 minute transfer)
3. Nice work-out facility

If that's all you want...stay here if you want more stay elsewhere.

The rooms need to be updgraded. They are in bad need of cable with (3) channels. The internet service was very expensive at 18 pounds for 24 hours! The paint is worn and scuffed and the furniture is worn. The bed was comfortable though small (queen). For siteseeing there is a bus into town however it cost 10 pounds roundtrip!

The rate wasn't bad at 70 pounds for dinner and breakfast included.

Nice hotel, but should have had free parking!

by TripAdvisor Member Marie23

We had a large room with 2 double beds and a sofa bed - plenty of beds for a family of 4! The hotel is nice and clean, and it has a pool to relax in after walking around Edinburgh all day. We stayed for 2 nights on a "dinner first night + breakfast included rate". Dinner was good, and we ended up eating at the hotel both nights. Kids under 12 eat free from the Planet Hilton menu, so this was a good deal for us. Breakfast was a standard Hilton-breakfast, so nothing much to say about that. The first day we had lunch in Cafe Cino, and that was not quite what we expected. The service was incredible slow! First we had to wait a long time to order, and then we had to wait even longer to get our food. The food tasted ok when it finally arrived - but then again "hunger is the best cook!"
Guests at this hotel pay 5 pounds a day for parking (should be free!), but that is when you pay at the reception checking out. Nobody told me about this, and I ended up paying 30 pounds for 2 days. Nobody at reception could help me when I discovered this - they just looked at me and said "sorry, nothing we can do". They should say something about the parking-fees either when checking in or out!

mmmmmmm

by TripAdvisor Member sunset_uk

Stayed at this hotel as my partner was joining me after flying in from abroad late one night, the room was booked through a relatve that works at hilton and we were given staff family rates.

Was not impressed at all by reception staff who tried to change my rate to rack rate, for some unknown reason. They were so rude and bad
tempered that I nearly walked out and looked elsewhere for a room. Once everyhing was sortedout I was given a room that wasnt even services (i hope that it was not deliberate), I did not want any more confritation from reception so I asked the kind lady wo serviced
the rooms who was cleaning a room nearby for some sheets, towels ect and she actually came and cleaned the room as she said it was on her list to do anyway. She was lovely and really friendly and in a way made up for the rude receptionist.

Although breakfast was included in the rate the charged us for it and I had to write to the manager to get it refunded which took over a month to happen.

It may be a one off but havent stayed at the hotel again and wouldnt if needed to be at the airport, was very angry and poor standards, I stay at hotel over 50 nights a year with a mix of business and leisure stays and from budget hotel to luxury and this stay was one of the worst.

Overnight, early start

by TripAdvisor Member Dedris

Leaving home at 3.30 a.m. for a 6 o'clock flight was the incentive I needed to book an overnight stay at an Edinburgh airport hotel. There is no choice at the airport but the name 'Hilton' was encouraging.

The location is perfect. A mere five minutes walk and rather than take the courtesy coach I strolled to the terminal.

Arriving early evening the welcome was warm efficient and professional. I was given a choice of rooms and informed of the ‘house rules’ about meal times etc.

The room was standard fair, good size, clean and well laid out, nothing to write home about. The dinner on the evening was another matter. The service was slow, the staff were clumsy and the food dull. I pointed out my disappointment to the manager. Whose reduction to the bill and a complimentary drink was enough to alleviate my disappointment. I may use the hotel again, but it will be more about the location than about the quality of the stay.

Yep, it was THAT bad . . .

by TripAdvisor Member MizLiz

Hilton should be ashamed of this property. We made our reservation at Hilton.com five months in advance for a pre-departure stay to include dinner, bed & breakfast for ourselves and our teenaged son. We dropped by a week in advance to personally confirm, and to ensure we had a real bed or a sofa bed (not a rollaway) for our son. (He’s tall for his age.) Nope, we didn’t have anything, they claimed. (Wonder where they’d expected that 3rd person to sleep?) Anyhoo, they corrected the resv. to show the sofa bed and waved us cheerfully away. Upon our return the following week, we were sent to a tiny corner room at the rear of the top floor with just one double bed. The corridor was dark and lined with four cleaning carts. No effort was made to let our luggage cart pass. We had to move everything ourselves. A fire extinguisher fell off the wall and smashed my foot. After reversing the process, we returned downstairs to find the desk in total confusion. They insisted there was no notation of a sofa bed. (The clerk who’d made the change saw us and scurried away never to be seen again.) Finally got another room, small but adequate. We asked a passing maid for extra pillows. “They are in your closet.” Well, we didn’t have a closet, let alone pillows. Our bed was a contraption mounted on a strange 2-pc box spring that wasn’t properly secured and felt like plywood. But we decided to tough it out. Then began the ordeal with dinner. We hadn’t paid for it. Yes, we had. They insisted upon seeing our confirmation. It was duly presented. More confusion. While they weren’t rude, they seemed not to wish to honor any part of the reservation. But with the fact in writing, they finally – seemingly – capitulated. We were told dinner began at 5:45. Showed up at the lobby restaurant to more confusion and were told to return at 6:15. Returned at 6:15 to be told we had to report to the desk again to “clarify” our dinner payment. More confusion. Turns out they’d decided they needed to xerox our confirmation. Couldn’t they have done that the first time? While we waited a fight broke out with another guest regarding parking fees he’d not been told about. (Every time we passed the desk, someone was arguing about something.) Finally got dinner – don’t ask! Our salads had half an inch of water in the bottoms of the bowl and it went downhill from there. We asked for plain tonic water with lime, and got gin. We informed the waitress, and she denied it. Her English was not good, so we let it go. Beef was about 24 hrs from rancid. After dinner we asked about breakfast, to be informed it did not begin until 7 am. ??? This is an airport hotel, for pity’s sake. You have to check out two to three hours before your flight. We returned to our $350 cracker box with its limited TV stations and NO AIR CONDITIONING – and don’t let anyone tell you you don’t need it there, because no, it is not the Highlands, and this was July. Still we would have managed nicely, but the window opened just two inches. Decided on a cold bath, to discover the tub was ringed with mold and smelled like someone had just washed a sheepdog in it. The room was otherwise quite clean, however. Other bright spots were great bath supplies and a shuttle driver who was timely and courteous. We travel throughout Scotland regularly, staying two-star B&Bs and all manner of little inns. Everything runs smoothly. Uniformly, you get what you pay for in Scotland, and you get extraordinary service. This Hilton property is just a ratty, disorganized mess, and a shame to the brand. I threw away my Honors card. I generally look for the positive in life, and give good hotel reviews. But do yourself a favor, and book the Marriott. It looked better, and was only two miles further out.

Good Hotel But Nothing Outstanding

by TripAdvisor Member Zoomie1106

Hotel is literally within walking distance of Edinburgh Airport, but runs a free shuttle 24X7 (use the phones to the right of the exit next to the car rental desks), then go to bay 3 to wait for them.
Staff is friendly, wants to be helpful (even when they can't; they couldn't suggest anywhere else to go eat except the hotel's dining room). Parking is not free. They will validate (unlimited in-out privileges) and you'll have UK 5 per day added to your bill (vs UK 15 per day normally). Seemed to be plenty of parking spots available when I stayed. Rooms are decent, though as previously mentioned there is only heating and fan available, no cooling air conditioning (not a problem on my stay July 16-18 when it was in the 60s outside). Got two twins, as requested, with comfy chair and footrest, desk. Internet is wire broadband, at UK 15 per 24hr day. Hotel does have a healthclub with free membership for guests. Pool, sauna, steam room, free weights and several machines. Open 6:30am-10pm. There is a "cafe" stand in the lobby which will do sandwiches, burgers, snacks and drinks. Also a bar. And the restaurant. The restaurant is VERY overpriced (UK18 for a bowl of pasta, nothing else), and the quality - while not bad - isn't anything special. We ate there first night, when we arrived, but went out searching for something else the next night (staff couldn't/wouldn't suggest anyplace nearby to eat). Ended up in a MacDonalds, where we both ate for UK 7.75 total. My daughter said it was the first thing she'd had in 3 weeks in Europe that tasted the same as home. TV offers only five stations, no cable/satillite channels. Pay-per-view movies at UK 15 for the first movie, then UK 7.50 for any additional. Only had about 10 movies to choose from.
Best feature - the # 100 city bus stops right in front of the hotel. Its an express (five stops) from the airport to Waverly St Station in the center of Edinburgh. Price: UK 3 one-way; UK 5 open-return. Also, the # 35 bus stops here. Didn't take it, so don't know the price, but its a local (many stops) but it goes right down the Royal Mile from near the Castle all the way to Hollyrood House before proceeding to the Ocean Terminal area (new entertainment/nightlife district).
I'd recommend, but don't expect any level of luxury (dispite the cost).

Comments