Hotel Missoni

Costs 74% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Hotel Missoni

Great Hotel - Great Concept

by TripAdvisor Member lefrancais

I really liked this hotel. The concept is fantastic....A hotel designed around such a trendy brand. I enjoyed my stay and found the overall service great! (the welcome, during dinner, and at check out). I will definitely come back. My only question is the price.....I have tried many hotels in Edinburgh (including Boutique hotels), and Hotel Missoni seems a little pricey.....If the Management team decides to lower down the prices or offer packages, I am in again....

Beyond amazing! I'm in love.

by TripAdvisor Member MitchSinclair

The Hotel MIssoni was truly incredible. Aesthetically, the stunningly beautiful mix of patterns and textures Missoni is known for work wonderfully as interior design. It made me smile every time I walked in our bright, happy colorful room. The entire feeling of the hotel is chic and design saavy without being snobby.

The staff were friendly, funny, welcoming and completely unpretentious. The hotel bar is fabulous - it gets packed early on, so get in early if you want a seat. The location is amazing..right in the middle of Old town.

I can not recommend this hotel highly enough. At every turn we were pleasantly surprised by little touches that made the experience of staying here truly memorable.

Great location but still finding its feet

by TripAdvisor Member davidedi

Hotel Missoni, down the road from my office, demolished a horrible concrete building and has brought a touch of style to George IV Bridge in Edinburgh. I was looking forward to trying the hotel which has been under construction and blocking nearby streets for a few years now. The location is great for sightseeing and tourist purposes.

The rooms are compact but the views of Arthur's Seat are stunning. The decor is bold with lots of pink, purple and silver. The polished floor boards reflect the traditional Edinburgh flat, but this is where the similarities end. I'm not sure I ever felt comfortable in my room because of the bling factor, but the free for all mini-bar helped to soothe the nerves. My standard room bathroom had an overhead shower (no bath), fluffy towels and lots of toiletries. The flat-screen TV didn't work properly so the number of channels was limited and the sound quality poor. Room service offered a small range of comfort food and was brought to my room quickly.

When I called to book I thought that there would have been flexibility on the hefty room price because of the hotel's newness and difficult economic times, but I was wrong. The agent wouldn't budge from the standard rate. The service in the main bar/restaurant was indifferent and the check-in staff were friendly but a bit green. Overall the hotel is expensive but the location is great.

All style no substance

by TripAdvisor Member johnfo

Really disappointed with our stay in Hotel Missoni. I have been lucky enough to stay in a few fine hotels in the past and the quality of customer service on show was particularly poor in this instance.
Beginning on the morning of our arrival ,the staff kindly let us check in early, so we proceeded to breakfast were we enjoyed a fine scottish breakfast, with the fry came toast and like any normal hotel our table had a small selection of jams which we used. When the bill came it had charged us £24 extra for the jam. Obviously i brought this to a member of staffs attention, who said it was a mistake and referred me to the manager who got loud and theatrical making a show of both himself, my girlfriend and me. He insisted on repeatedly telling me and anyone else within ear shot that at a five star hotel that is the way things are done. Incredibly embarrassed i stuck to my guns and continued to make my point, eventually he let me finish without interupting (10mins later) and corrected my bill. When he was busy correcting the bill an other member of staff came over to me and patted me on the back, saying how it was about time somebody stood up to his pretentious nonsense. Needless to say our restaurant experience had been soured by his rudness and we didnt go back. When i brought this up with customer service, the only offer of an apology was a sigh, a shrug of the shoulders and words "he's an italian" not much of an excuse in my opinion. Manners cost nothing, and when you are paying so much you expect it at the least.
The evening before our departure we were informed that we would be billed with buying a new set of missoni bed sheets because a very small amount of my girlfriends fake tan would not come out. Any ladies can verify that fake tan comes out in soap and hot water never mind the dry cleaning or chemical cleaning used my hotels these days. I couldn't believe it. And immediately payed a visit to customer service and asked for a refund for that evening so we could move to one of Edinburghs fine hotels, for some R and R minus the hassle and blatant money grabbing attitude. We were offered cocktails which i refused and proceeded to the ESI restaurant in Leith where we were reminded of what a pleasure good quality food and customer service can bring to a night.
This rant could go on for ever, if there is one thing i cant stand it is pretentious people and in this place they are just falling over themselves with no care for the customer. They even charged us VAT on a tip we gave one of the staff for delivering our breakfast.
The hotel is clean, the location is excellent, the room was small but very well fitted, loved the shower but needless to say I will never be back. The youth hostel in the cowgate would be less hassle for a fraction of the price!

Fabulous hotel.you have to go!

by TripAdvisor Member Louise_DaveScotland

My (now fiancée) and I have just stayed this past weekend in a suite at the Missoni Hotel in Edinburgh. What can I say, I won’t ever forget it, he proposed to me there! First off all the hotel is stunning, just the right balance between luxury, fashion and high end chic without being pretentious. The room was simply stunning. Bang and Olufsen TVs, free mini bar, fluffy robes and slippers, under floor heating in both (yes, both) bathrooms…..and magnificent views over Edinburgh. The rooms are finished off to the highest quality and the huge bed was also super comfortable. We had dinner in the restaurant where both the food and service were excellent. There was a fantastic buzz about the whole place, as was the case with the very cool little cocktail bar in the downstairs lobby.

I really have to give a special mention to the staff though. In particular the Customer Manager Janine, who organised everything to be perfect for our stay, from the champagne after my fiancée proposed, to the room upgrade and rose petals scattered in said room and the lovely (and most welcome) late check out the next morning. She was simply fantastic, she made sure I felt like royalty for the whole stay (and had all the staff well briefed about my secret upcoming proposal). Janine made sure she was there to meet us when we checked out to ensure we enjoyed the experience, I must say, her customer service skills are excellent. All of the staff very extremely polite and professional and we will definitely be back as soon as humanly possible!

The only thing I would mention to the Hotel Management is the website – too confusing and frustrating to use – and definitely do not show the beautiful hotel off to its full advantage. There is not enough detail on the site. Also some proper full sized photographs of the rooms would be good for potential customers to view…all in all though 10 out of 10, fabulous hotel and the best we have stayed in.

On the stylish side of kitsch

by TripAdvisor Member mediaho

Had a weekend stay in the Missoni during my first visit to Edinburgh. If you love trendy boutique hotels, aren't averse to bright colours, and are not interested in your hotel soaking up Scottish culture and history, then the Missoni is the one for you.
Major plus points included the perfect location, on the corner of George IV bridge and the Royal Mile, right next to the castle and bang in the centre of the city. We walked everywhere.
The room was great, a really good size for a city centre hotel, with a huge comfy bed and massive tv. We had a nice view of the corner of the Royal Mile and George IV bridge, good if you like people watching. Very stylish as you'd expect - fab mirrored doors and great colours. The bathroom was very pretty - amazing walk-in shower, although no bath. Gorgeous bathrobes and slippers to snuggle into.

The hotel staff were very friendly and the reception area was stunning, as were the hotel corridors which have zebra-print carpets you can sink into with splashes of bright colour...

The cocktail bar was gorgeous. It was very quiet on Friday so we went elsewhere but Saturday is obviously the night to go, with lots of beautiful people and a great atmosphere. I had five different cocktails and they were all gorgeous. Cheapest is £6, not bad I thought, up to about £10 for the poshest ones. The bartenders were smiley and really helpful and the atmosphere was great. Very girly and pink, it's perfect for a group of girls but fun for couples to start their night out if your bloke isn't too blokey!

Negatives:
Free minibar is a bit naff - couple of bottles of beer (no wine for me!!), juice, water and one packet of crisps. You can see why it's free... there's nothing in it.
We found it impossible to synch our ipod to the tv, even though in the hotel bumph it says there are clear instructions on the tv guide how to do it. There aren't and we missed out on nice music to get ready to. Apparently there are teething problems, which is a bit rubbish.

But they are just niggles. We will be returning to Edinburgh soon (It's amazing, and so many great pubs! Why haven't I been before?) and we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. Make sure you book on the internet - big discounts to be had.

absolutely fab

by TripAdvisor Member ForresMolly

Had a fantastic weekend in Edinburgh, a very big thankyou to Janine who made us very welcome, and to all the other staff from waiting to housekeeping to management, brilliant team keep up the good work. Service, food everything about the hotel PERFECT.

P&D Mackenzie
Forres

Beautiful Hotel, Great Location.

by TripAdvisor Member skywaitress2000

My Husband and I stayed here for two nights and absolutley loved it.
It has a perfect location just off the Royal Mile with access to all the sights. The staff were really friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us. The rooms are amazing, loved the decor. Room service is also good.
The hotel bar is really trendy and obviously attracts customers from outside the hotel. The cocktails are good and highly reccomended.

Pretentious nonsense

by TripAdvisor Member geoff09

Went to the restaurant in the hotel. An absolute rip-off!! Lots of flashy decor, and high prices, but the quality and value for money were AWFUL. I had ravioli(£11) which consisted of 7 ravioli only(that's over £1.50 each!). Rest of the meals weren't much better.

Great stay, great staff

by TripAdvisor Member earthwormGlasgow

We stayed at the hotel for a night during the festival. The hotel is great and the staff very friendly. Special mention to Janine and Ian. Rooms were very modern as is the rest of the hotel. Location is superb especially during the festival as you are right in the thick of thing. We will definetly stay there again.

the gates at Tarquair Housethe gates at Tarquair House

Deep-fried Mars barDeep-fried Mars bar

Torchlight Procession Princes Street, Edinburgh UKTorchlight Procession Princes Street, Edinburgh UK

Inside!Inside!

sightseeing tour by bus

by cleomedes

Hi,
going to Edinburgh next weekend. May anybody has a suggestion which sightseeing bus tour is the best?

RE: sightseeing tour by bus

by St_Vincent

You have four to choose from all leaving from the Waverley Bridge area. I took the City Sightseeing Tour (red bus) and it was pretty good, there is also Guide Friday (green bus I think) that has a similar route and they are both hop-on-hop-off tickests. Other tours go a bit further outside the centre. I think they are all run by the same company so have the same prices.

I found this excellent site that gives you details of all the tours so that you can decide which is best for you.

Enjoy your visit to Edinburgh.

Regards
Clive

RE: RE: sightseeing tour by bus

by cleomedes

Hi Clive,

thanks for your advice, it was very helpfull. We had a great time in Edingburgh.

RE: RE: sightseeing tour by bus

by St_Vincent

You're very welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed Edinburgh. I'm spending a few days there myself next week.

Regards