Ibis Edinburgh Centre

Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile
Agoda.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Fantastic location

Edinburgh is an expensive city concerning accommodation. I booked some weeks before visiting and I searched for both B&B and hotels. We are travelling with a child and only staying for a night so a central location was of major importance so that we could make the most of our time in Edinburgh. Amongst others, Ibis hotel was suggested as a cheap hotel on LP Scotland's guide so I checked their website for rates: www.ibishotel.com. The fare for a double room with an extra bed was £115 (July 2010, accommodation only, flexible rate you may cancel without expenses) - it was a bit more expensive because we were staying Saturday night, turns out that this is one of the most expensive days of the week. I searched some other LP's suggestions as well as booking.com and I couldn't find a better quality/ location for the price. So, I booked directly at www.ibishotel.com, one must guaranty the reservation with a credit card, but they won't charge you for the room immediately as you will only pay when you arrive at the hotel (by whatever means of payment you choose).

We had already stayed in other Ibis hotels before, so we already had an idea of what would be expecting us, that's the advantage of chain hotels. Also, we had checked the city map and had an idea of its location concerning both Waverley Station and the historical centre.

However, when we arrived we were surprised! The city was so much smaller than it looked like in the map and the hotel was a mere 5minute walk from the station (and about 10minute walk from the castle, it is situated on a square by the Royal Mile). Fortunately, it was nearer than we had though as the street was up-hill and it was raining when we left our airport bus at Waverley Station!

But the location wasn't the only surprise we had that day. This Ibis hotel is more modern and nicer looking than all the others we had previously stayed on. Our room was very nice, clean and well equipped (LCD on the wall, facilities for free coffee and tea, small but functional bathroom). The extra bed was also very comfortable. The room window overlooked the nice stone roofs of the city and we were very pleased with this Ibis. It really surprised us, far more than we expected!

Breakfast wasn't included in our rate and it cost an extra £6.95/ adult and half the price for a child. We choose to have breakfast in a nearby restaurant.

Unique Quality: I'd say the greatest advantage of this hotel it's its fabulous location: near the Waverley Station, near the castle and in the Royal Mile. There are a lot of (touristy) restaurants, bars and a supermarket around, not to mention the hundreds of tourist souvenir shops, if that's what you're looking for.

• Superb Location, Good Value

this hotel is very good located, right in the heart of Edinburgh, in the Royal Mile, where it's within a walking distance to St Gile's Cathedral, Edinburgh Castle entrance, pubs and clubs, and restaurants. it's just amazing

it's a cosy 3-start hotel, very clean, though rooms can be a bit small, and walls very thin, so it can be a bit noisy, but this all can be weighed out by the excellent location.

room rate inc breakfast: £80 (standard single)

Directions: off the Bridges, next to the popular Tron the Pub

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Ibis Hotel Edinburgh

This hotel is one of the best hotel deals in Edinburgh. Yes, it's a chain hotel. But it still has its charms.

Unique Quality: The absolute best feature of this hotel is it's location. It's literally located at the center of the Royal Mile, just up the hill from Waverly Train Station.

This hotel was booked for the period I wanted to stay, according to the internet. But I walked up in person and secured a room after someone else cancelled.

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Cheap accomodation on Royal Mile

I attempted to book this place for my mother and a friend but was unable to secure any twin rooms. The rates are by the room and are cheap for central Edinburgh.

Unique Quality: Ibis is a french hotel chain and they seem to employ a lot of young french ladies on reception that is no bad thing.

Directions: Off the Royal Mile

• CADUM's Profile Photo

Go to sleep

The Ibis was in a great location off of the Royal Mile. If you aren't looking for much more than a good room at a good price this hotel is perfect. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't spend alot of time in their room while on vacation. Good shower.

Unique Quality: Location.

• leok's Profile Photo

Location Location Location

The Ibis offers a hotel experience on a very keen budget. Part of a European chain you can get rooms from between about £50-£70 depending on what time of the year you book. If you subscribe to a loyalty card scheme you'll get a further 10% discount.
    Don't expect a spa but do expect clean modern rooms with small bathrooms attached. What really sells this hotel though is its incredible location. Just off the middle of the Royal Mile, less than 2 mins from Princes street or the Grassmarket. Offers parking. For the price you can't really go wrong.

Unique Quality: Loyalty card scheme - worth using if you plan to travel around Europe using the chain.

Directions: Just off the Royal Mile by the Starbucks

• hslowe's Profile Photo

Good hotel, great location

On my last night in Scotland I was tired of hostels and decided to treat myself to a hotel. Yeah, Ibis is just a chain but this particular hotel is situated in a very convenient place--center of everything.

After all my backpacking it felt divine to be so clean, comfortable and alone. The cost was 49 pounds or $80 US.

Unique Quality: If you have to be at the airport early, they offer an Early Riser breakfast which starts at 4 am.

Directions: Middle of Royal Mile

• Vanislander's Profile Photo

Ibis Hotel

Unique Quality: Where else in Edinburgh can you get the perfect location, in a hotel, for only 30 pounds each per night. This was clean, safe, in a excellent location. Make sure you book in advance as they are always booked solid!

More about Ibis Edinburgh Centre

Ibis Hotel Edinburgh 'Fantastic short break location'

by TripAdvisor Member Minardi234

We stayed at the Ibis Central, Edinburgh last weekend, we arrived on an early flight and was unable to check in straight away. Our luggage was stored in a secure room the staff were extremley helpfull with a phone call when the rooms became available. The hotel was clean and the rooms although basic were spottless. The hotel is centrally located within a minutes walk to the royal mile.
All the staff were very polite and helpfull during our stay.
We would reconmend this hotel to anybody looking for good value accomadation in the best possible location.

Central location

by TripAdvisor Member diderek

Location is the biggest selling point of this place, but after that I wasn't too excited. I stayed for 2 nights with a friend in a twin room and the beds were ordinary to say the least. They obviously didn't have any single bed sheets and so used doubles, but folded them. Not too excited when I got into bed to find the sheets barely covering the mattress!! So we had to remake the beds - there was plenty of sheet if you unfolded it, so not sure what the story was there. The actual beds weren't too stable either.

I guess other than that everything was ok - but the room just didn't have a nice feel to it - decor was a bit old & tired.

Location will continue to sell this place though & for the price I would stay there again.

Does anyone know if there isanywhere cheapish (£70 for a double?) to stay in Edinburgh over Hogmanay

by curlybex

I will be in in Edinburgh with my boyfriend over Hogmanay and need accomodation for 4 nights checking in 29th leaving on 2nd - any ideas on a place to stay that might still have availability and is not impossibly expensive?

by Emmachristie

Hi,
I would try the Hotel Ibis - Edinburgh City Centre, I dont have the phone number for them, but the Hotel Ibis in Glasgow's phone number is 0141 225 6000, they will give you the phone number for Edinburgh, im sure it is round about £60 - 70 for a double room and it is a nice wee hotel, it is right in the city centre, which is within walking distance when you return from the pub !

Comments