Le Monde Edinburgh

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Le Monde Edinburgh

Interesting and Gimicky

by TripAdvisor Member aminsha

Passports at the ready and be prepared for take off at the Le Monde hotel Edinburgh.

Upon completing my booking through a third party agent I contacted the hotel to find out we where going to be staying, I was told that we had been upgraded (ooh I thought) to a junior suite. However, you know that feeling when you are told something then turn up to find something different, you are disappointed? Well that was the case at the Le Monde. Booking a room here is like booking an allocation on arrival holiday with a travel agent you never know where you may end up staying - in Le Monde's case this could be anywhere in the world!

After a bumpy check in, we entered our flight to the world of Dublin.

First impressions were good, clean bed linen nice view and great bathroom. Coffee left behind in the percolator by the last guest and it had not been topped up - oops a slight oversight here.

Relaxing into our flight we decided to push the call button and call reception for milk and some ice. The in-flight movie was good while we waited, 45 minutes later and no hostess with a smile appeared. Thus we decided to head out for dinner.

Hang on a minute I shouted towards the lift, "the door won't lock,” “what do you mean the door won't lock?” The lock appeared to be broken, so another call to the cabin crew downstairs. This time they decided to come to our needs more quickly and told us the door was locked, push down the handle and you were inside Dublin, strange eh?

We escaped down the emergency exit chute out of the plane and headed out to dinner with the knowledge we would be moved rooms upon our return.

When we returned we were handed a new passport this time to St Petersberg. Wow Ireland to Russia in two hours that is fast. This is the same standard of room to Dublin we were told.

Upon arrival in St Petersberg we found all our belongings had been moved and not lost in transit, phew! The room was smaller with a much smaller bed than in Dublin and not as welcoming as Dublin. Cupboard doors wouldn’t shut and there was a window from beside the bath through into the bedroom! Dressing room where was that? Oh that is the room in which the bath is in with the window going through to the bedroom! This room was only a superior room we later found out and not an executive room as was booked.

Boom, Boom, Boom went the big bass drum and so did the noise in this room. The nightclub in the basement was very noisy and we didn't get to sleep until after 3am it was that loud.

The breakfast was nice in a very nice surrounding with a good choice from the menu. Check out was slow and again a bumpy ride to touch us back down to the streets of Edinburgh.

With some work on the customer service and the allocation upon arrival and being moved to a lower category of room each time and less noise this noise this hotel would make a pleasant stay. At present it is a quirky hotel, club 18-30's style!

Fabulous hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member lrk0

Just back from a two night anniversary break and what a treat it was!
The staff were delightful, the Marrakech room was unbelievably comfortable and the food was terrific for dinner and breakfast....I really couldn't fault the overall experience. They even lent us a set
of hair straighteners (for the wife...honest) and put a happy Anniversary card in the room on arrival...nice touch...

One or two minor niggles...firstly...you will need earplugs! There is
a club underneath the hotel and another next door. Even in the Marrakech room ("one of the quieter ones") the thump-thump-thump went
on until 2-3am with occasional screeching from hen parties for accompaniment! However, once earplugged-up, it didn't bother me at all....it is after all one of the downsides to being smack in the middle of the city. Secondly, the Tassimo for tea/coffee, well stocked mini-bar, HUGE plasma screen and another smaller one in the bathroom with Satellite TV, CD/DVD player, hairdryer, ironing facilities, etc etc made the room superbly well appointed, a couple of areas could be seen as a triumph of form over function! The rainfall shower was wonderful, but the 3 sided cubicle allowed water to slop out all over the floor. Also, the lack of shelving in the shower meant that the Molton Brown bottles had to sit on the floor - picking up and handling the heavy, smooth, soapy bottles was no small
task and I avoided a broken foot narrowly on at least two occasions! The mood lighting was amazingly complicated but fun...but my wife says it would have been perfect if there had been a well lit dressing
table for doing hair/makeup. She says this about pretty much every hotel room we stay in though!

Niggles aside, our stay in this hotel was just a brilliant experience
and I would recommend it to all.

We are definately coming back!

by TripAdvisor Member biv10

We were surprisingly impressed with the Le Monde in Edinburgh. Customer Service was at its best, other hotels should really learn from this boutique hotel, and how they work with customers and add little touches here and there to make them stand out. We stayed in the Marrakesh suite, it was so beautiful, like heaven! We slept for hours on the comfortable bed. The bathroom was huge and so luxurious with a large tub, as well as separate spa shower. We had a large flat screen TV in our room, with Morroccan music playing, and a copy of Casablanca, a nice touch. The hotel also keeps a complementary DVD library, and stocks complementary mineral and sparkling water. They also gave us drink and VIP tickets to their bar/club area.

We really hope to visit Le Monde again in the future. Two thumbs up!

Great room, great service - great if you like being kept awake until 2am

by TripAdvisor Member KateBrookfield

My husband took me to this hotel for my birthday as a special treat.

I will start with the good points:

1: The service was second to none - the staff can not do enough for you. We asked for a restaurant booking at short notice on the Saturday night - within 10 minutes the restaurant was booked, a cab was ordered and we had a review of the restaurant given to us to make sure it was ok - fab! We asked for an ice bucket and it was there in minutes too.

2: The room was very nice. We stayed in Miami. It had lovely art deco style decor, a fantastic bath (with a tv at the end) and an even better shower.

3: VIP access: you get a special key to a guests only door into the bar which makes you feel a bit special and also VIP entrance into the club downstairs which we didn't use in the end.

4: The locatiion: very central, easy to get around by foot.

5: Attention to detail: every aspect of Miami was in our room, from Gloria Estafan playing on the CD player to the weather forecast in Edinburgh compared with Miami.

Now the bad points:

1: The noise: at a weekend there is a club downstairs which is open until 2. We might as well have been in our bed in the club - it was so noisy! The bass was so loud, we could not sleep until the club was finished.

2: The location: although it is also a plus point, it is on a very busy street with lots of bars and clubs and is very, very noisy at night.

3: The room: although very nice, the room was facing the main street so was noisy. Also, there were no curtains, just a blind which didn't fill the whole window so the people in the hotel over the street will get a nice view of you when you are getting changed or lying in bed.

4: The restaurant downstairs: we ate here for lunch on our last day and it was terrible. I had pasta which was just a tastless oily bowl of slop. Yuk! Not quite what we had expected.

Overall, it would have been fantastic had it just been in a slightly quieter location. They have everything else right within the rooms and the service. However, I am not sure I would return as the noise was so offputting. Perhaps a room at the back of the hotel would be better so don't be totally put off, just check where your room is. I think the posh suites are on the top floor so you would probably be ok there.

Really really don't want to do this.....

by TripAdvisor Member Fudgepacker

But this is one of the best hotels i've stayed in, and i really don't want to find it booked up every time i come here.

Immaculate decor, great service from everyone and the food was great, including the rasberry daquiri i'm embarrassed to say i'm drinking now as i write this at 11am having just missed breakfast.

What staying away should be all about, felt like a little kid finding out which room i was going to get as they're all themed.

Certainly not cheap but worth every penny.

From the LCD tv in the shower through to the tv pages open on the day for you this is great.

The willie wonka's chocolate factory of hotels.

funky but overrated, overpriced......

by TripAdvisor Member Lily_Cotton

Lovely hotel decor and room though you'd expect that for £300 a night. No offer of help with bags, no-one stocked up our tea and coffee and there was no milk in the room on arrival - just little things you kind of expect for the price. Also do they really think guests paying that sort of money are going to steal the £12 molton brown pumps in the bathroom?? The little message left in the bathroom strongly implied this was the case.......Not appreciated when you are old enough and earn enough to no longer get excited about 'free' hotel toiletries. Great bathroom though. Fab coffee maker in the room etc etc.

The bars, restaurant and club are really funky. Lots of loud music even at breakfast which was ok with us.

Dreadful restaurant service even though they are really only serving pub food. Over 1 hour wait for sausage and mash is a bit much especially when the restaurant is virtually empty!
Again over 45 mins wait after ordering cooked breakfast, despite only a few other occupied tables. Had to send back one cooked breakfast due to major over-salting but the replacement was great. Maybe the chef was disorganised but the food was ok. Also we didn't appreciate spring cleaning of the stairs next to where we were eating breakfast. Kind of puts you off your food!
A few other little niggles but I don't want to sound like a complete moaner.

All the staff were very nice but obviously not that bothered about efficient running of a hotel. It might have really impressed us if they had made just a little more effort.

Sack the chef

by TripAdvisor Member tavia14999

Think the restaurant at this place really lets the place down. The service was very slow. Our fresh orange juice was clearly from a carton. Also having dared to ask for a change to the main breakfast having no haggis or black pudding, the chef (or cook) or arsonist decided to take his annoyance out on my food. He did the classic trick of chargrilling one side of my food. As photographed here. The sausage that wasn't charcoal was very disappointing for a £8 breakfast. My advice is do not bother to eat here. Go to the secret garden at the Witchery or Banns where you will get lovely service and edible and in fact gorgeous food. I've been to Edinburgh for 13 years at the festival and never experienced such awful service.

Le Monde is a fun hotel

by TripAdvisor Member IATraveler65

We spent 5 nights at Le Monde. The hotel is very trendy and has all the latest gadgets and is not for those seeking an old world Edinburgh experience. We loved our room and the giant plasma TV. Also, the bathroom was terrific! The staff was great and helped us in so many ways - even with a 2:30AM wake-up call and a 3:30AM taxi. There are 4 nightclubs in this hotel and they can get noisy at night, so ask for a room in the back of the hotel. The location is perfect - walking distance to everywhere.

A mixed bag

by TripAdvisor Member Mod1982

This was the second visit we had made to Le Monde, having had an absolutely brilliant time on our previous visit, when we stayed in the London room.
On this occasion we were staying for two nights, chosing the Paris room for one night, and Barcelona for the other.
Paris was a resounding success - a fabulous room, beautiful in every way. We had a great night of drinking downstairs in the bar, having dinner in Edinburgh's The Tower restuarant (a must) and back to the room for a sound night's sleep.
The second night - a Sunday - was spent in Barcelona. On the second floor of the hotel, it is advertised as a quiet room with views of Rose Street, one of Edinburgh's prettiest thoroughfares....... oh dear. Barcelona as a room was fine (not as good as Paris, but this reflects its slightly cheaper rate) but the view was not quite as advertised. Instead of pretty old Edinburgh, we had the view of a back alley (where drunks chose to come to urinate through the course of the night), some very exposed office windows and the hotel's bins. OK, we thought, never mind, we'll keep the blinds closed to block out the less than pretty surroundings, have a few cocktails, a bit of dinner and bed down for the night.
At 3am the hotel decided to empty its bottles into the bins. It literally sounded like gunshot. They repeated the trick twice more, by which point there was no chance of sleep.
Officially the worst night sleep we have ever had in a hotel - I know, you come to a city, you should expect some noise, but this room was advertised as quiet and pretty!
When complaining to reception the next day, the very pleasant assistant said she would check with her manager, but the hotel had never had complaints about the noise from that room. Hmmmm! When checking out, and settling the bill, the manager refused to come to speak to us, and said it was not the hotel's problem. We had at this point spent well over £600 in Le Monde over the course of 2 nights drinking, sleeping and dining. A token gesture would have done - but they just refused to entertain anything of the sort.
This is seriously shoddy for a hotel of this class which charges these prices. Neither I or my partner are moaners without cause, but paying £150 to sleep in a noisy room over a back alley where drunks come to finish off their night (to put it politely) is really not on.
Le Monde, you've really let us down - and we loved you so much as well!

What A Nightmare

by TripAdvisor Member MikeCratchley

We stayed at Le Monde in December 2006 and had a really good time, so we decided to repeat the experience this year as part of our Christmas present to our two daughters who stayed with us. What a disappointment!

I really can't understand how a hotel can deteriorate so quickly. Let's start with our room - Milan. A really nice room except that there was no door between the bedroom and the bathroom, so that when you are sitting on the throne, so to speak, you are in full view and earshot of your partner. Our complaint was met with indifference and we were advised that, because the hotel was fully booked, no other options were available. Eventually, we were offered a £20 per night reduction (equivalent to a 10% discount - big deal!)

Our daughters fared no better. On returning to their room in the early hours they were met with a constant humming. They invited the Duty Manager to listen to the problem, but he admitted that he had no idea where it was coming from. They had two sleepless nights. They also both suffered from insect bites during their stay in Reyjkavik (the name of the room).

Now the in-room food service. Our breakfasts arrived late and were tepid on arrival. Unacceptable in a hotel that claims to be amongst the best in this glorious city.

Finally, the bar staff. I have never met such an unfriendly bunch of people. We stood at the bar for nearly 15 minutes trying to take advantage of the complementary drink vouchers that we received on arrival. We've still got them because we just gave up trying to attract their attention!

Please come to Edinburgh - its a truly magical place whatever the time of year - but DON'T stay at Le Monde. If its fun you want, book into Tiger Lilly. If its sumptuousness you're looking for, stay at Prestonfields. Oh and eat at Olorosso - its superb!

Cairnapple HillCairnapple Hill

Deacon Brodie's TavernDeacon Brodie's Tavern

west end viewwest end view

Wallace MonumentWallace Monument

About the weather again...

Hei,
I'm planning to go to Edinburgh on 3th of July (for 10 days).. I was watching the weather forecasts and was surprised about the coldness! I'm from Finland and I thought that where ever I go, there is warmer than here.. but is the weather like that (+11 - +15) on July too?? What's the "normal" weather on that time? I'm so confused right now ;)

by hawkhead

Short answer, your guess is as good as mine!! However, www.bbc.co.uk/weather will give you a 5-day forecast and www.weatherunderground.com will give you the same but also has historical weather graphs. However, in this age of climate change, nothing is written in concrete. And weather forecasts in this neck of the woods are notoriously unreliable. Best plan is to dress in layers and bring an umbrella or water-proof outerwear.

by kreid1945

lets just say the weather is changable. We don't have continantal weather, settled for longish periods.I was surprised to find inland Norway and Sweden warmer , but so it was ! Take a raincoat.Take insect repellant.

by leics

No real logic to UK weather. Pack layers, as stated above, and waterproofs, and don't be surprised if the weather changes several times during one day (let alone your whole visit!). An old saying states that the British summer consists of '3 fine days then a thunderstorm', and it often seems to be right.

by laurenzia

Wow! sounds a bit differen to anywhere I've been before :D Which is actually nice... and after all.. The reason I like to go to Edinburgh is that at least there AIN'T too hot ;D. So, raincoat (I think I'll have to buy one) and some warmer clothes and that's all :D

Thank you guys again...

Laura

by zizkov

By the time you read this I guess you will be here (or, if you don't log in on holiday, back). SO you may be finding it strangely warm and humid. It was thunder, lightning, and downpours yesterday (Sunday). Over the week before, hot and sunny - when it wasn't cold and wet ;-)

by laurenzia

I had such a bad luck with the weather... By the time I arrived there it was fairly chill air and it continued as long as I was there (besides a few days). And during that 2weeks it was a real heat wave in Finland. AND after I got back here the heat was over and in Edinburgh it started to be warm :P

Well... I still had a GREAT time there. It is beautiiiiiful city and the coutnry side around is amazing :D

by zizkov

Well, I am glad you had a great time, besides the weather. I flew off on holiday (to Crete) on the 14th and missed possibly the hottest week ever in Scotland - temperatures up to 33C. It carried on for a few days after I came back. Had a bit of rain now. Hope Finland heated up a bit after your return. Look forward to seeing your pages on your trip.

Comments