Macdonald Houstoun House

Uphall, Nr Edinburgh, West Lothian, Livingston, Scotland EH52 6JS, United Kingdom
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Edinburgh

interestinginteresting

Rosslyn ChapelRosslyn Chapel

PRINCES STREET GARDENSPRINCES STREET GARDENS

George Heriot's School-what Hogwarts is based on!George Heriot's School-what Hogwarts is based on!

what to do? ctd

by combataddict

Also, i forgot to ask what time of year should we travel to Edinburgh??

by GrumpyDiver

My two visits were in June and August, and the weather was acceptable both times. I would expect that the May though Sepetember timeframe would give you the best weather.

The Fringe Festival and the Tatoo were on during our August visit. If you plan to attend either of these events, it's a good time to go, but if not, you might want to consider other dates. It's quite busy and the prices reflect the popularity of Edinburgh at that time of year...

by leics

If you want to visit Edinburgh during the dates of the Festival (5th - 29th August) then you should book your accommodation immediately. A great deal will already be booked, and much will have been fully-booked for some months. Prices, of course, reflect the popularity of Edinburgh at this time.

So...unless you actively want to be there during the Festival I advise you to avoid August. I suggest you go in May, June or the beginning of July, when the weather is most likely to be reasonable (fingers crossed!) and English schools, at least, will not have ended for the summer holidays.

September and early October are also possibilities, although you should be aware that the weather will begin to deteriorate during those months. The climate averages here will give you an idea what weather you might expect:

You will need clothes you can layer and waterproof jacket/coat whenever you visit.

by hawkhead

I would go in May or September.

by IreneMcKay

It depends what you like doing, but Edinburgh is very lively and busy during festival time in August. There is lots of street entertainment and masses of shows. Of course, accommodation prices rise at this time.

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

Edinburgh Royal Mile

by galy

A one mile long strip of street, starting at the Edinburgh Castle, and ends at Holyroods House. The essence of Edinburgh, and sure enogh to where you start you Edinburgh experience. Castle. Whisky, Tartans they are all there. Don't miss on one of the many guided walks that are offered by posters along the street. I loved the Camera Obscura visit and the underground guided walk.
a nice website about the Royal Mile:

Royal Botanic Garden

by Cool-123

When you enter the garden from the West Gate, you will find the Botaincs shop on your right hand size. First, I suggest you buy the map before you walk around because it is quite big. I think you would like to choose something you prefer. My first choice is the 'Glasshouse Experience'. Then I fed the squirrels on the green. I spent almost half of the day here.

Pipe Bands and Brass Bands

by uglyscot

Scottish pipe bands are always an attraction and can be seen at the Festival Cavalcade and the Tattoo, but not all pipers are Scots. At the cavalcade in 2006 there was an Asian band of pipers.
Brass bands were also popular , and came from Norway, America , and Britain as well.

Haggis Bus Tour! Don't Leave Edinburgh without it

by joelnale

The Haggis Bus tour was one of the best choices I made on my entire 4-week long trip. The Highlands are some of the most pristine and untouched lands. The guides are very opinionated and know a LOT about Scottish history.
Let me give you some idea of what we did: (1) Walked across the last battlefied between the English and the Highlanders (Scottish) - an eerie feeling to know that thousands of people died there.
(2) Visited Loch Ness - learned that it was one of the deepest lakes in the world.
(3) Visited the town of 'Skye' - the Sun did not set here until around 11:30-12:00. What a long night! Met up with other travelers from another Haggis tour (7-day tour) and had some drinks.
(4) Visited an ancient tomb invaded by the Vikings. Kind of interesting, I went just after the whole foot-n-mouth incident, but the equipment was still there! (I was fine...)
(5) Visited a 'castle' on an island that is now privately owned, but allows for visits during certain days of the week. What an amazing place to live. Very isolated, but absolutely stunning views.
(6) Walked atop a moutain (actually drove nearly to the top and then walked the rest). We took amazing pictures here. Not only that, it suddenly started to hail (pea-size) for about 10-15 minutes. All throughout the mountain and neighboring mountains were sheep grazing. Kinda neat.
(7) Ate at a very old castle that is now turned into a restaurant. Very nice.
(8) Tried on (not me.. but two others!) traditional Highlander garb.
(9) Tasted for free and toured a Scottish Whiskey plant (don't believe the guy when he says you can ONLY get this whiskey at his plant!!! I saw it for sale in Edinburgh!!!)
(10) The really great thing as well is that you really get to know a diverse group of people. On my bus were the following people; Kiwi (New Zealander), South African (sat next to him), two americans (Texan and from some other place), two Americans just married in Colombia, one English guy, two Koreans. A whole mix of people that all have similar agendas! Travel and have fun.

Its funny. I am not a camper...

by Michael_D

Its funny. I am not a camper and I can count the number of times in my life ive roughed it in a puptent and sleeping bag on one hand. Two of those times was in cub scouts and my mother MADE me. The other three times, were all in Scotland.

We watched this storm crawl up the valley and sweep accross Lake Maree and the whole time , though we had a chilly ill-wind, it never dealt us a single drop.
Captain America dreampt his dreams in brogue that night...for certain.

Comments