Macdonald Marine Hotel Edinburgh

Costs 69% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Macdonald Marine Hotel Edinburgh

Comical Farce.....

by TripAdvisor Member BLSManchester_UK

Went to the Marine for lunch during my stay in North Berwick while visiting my sister-in-law.
The service was very slow, in fact nearly non-exsistant.

The dash of lime requested in our lagers was an incredible 90p per drink
Truly unforgettable for all the wrong reasons.

It is about time that they got their staff organised and trained properly as it would be such a wonderful hotel in the right hands.

Impressive newly refurbished hotel in superb location.

by TripAdvisor Member MPRNR

Recently stayed at the Marine whilst on business in the area. Very attentive reception staff and fantastic food (pricey) which they were happy to serve after 10pm. Great location for golfers, nature watching, Edinburgh and Berwick. The rooms were very well appointed with all the usual 4* features. Needless to say I would not pay more than £80-120 per room/night depending on the day of the week or time of year. My company paid less than £70/night incl breakfast (make sure you have the haddock or kippers!)- which is exceptional value compared to a Travel Inn, etc. North Berwick town centre is close by and I am told there are a number of good pubs and restaurants.

had a fab 2 night stay

After reading other reviews we were a little apprehensive about going to the marine hotel. Id booked it as a suprise for my boyfriends birthday. However whatever problems the marine hotel have had in the past appear to be sorted out now. All the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The main areas and bedrooms have been tastefully decorated and the spa was lovely.

Only complaint about the spa was only 1 steam room and 1 sauna were on at a time. So had potential to be cramped. Also there was nothing to tell you what each of the rooms were. There was a room filled with ice. Not quite sure why???. The gym was well equiped with there running machines have tv screens attached. Excellent feature. The views from the hotel are wonderful. There is building work going on outside the hotel so if you have a sea view, You may well be disturbed by the noise. and builders. We were not advised of this prior to our stay. Paid an extra £60 for sea view and the privelidge of being woken at 0800h by workmen. not good.

The bar is quite expensive £10.80 for 2 drinks however there are many lovely bars and hotels in north berwick which are far more reasonable. Would def recommend this hotel for a relaxing spa break once the renovations are complete.

Do not waste your money

by TripAdvisor Member qweasdzxc

We stayed at the Marine for our first wedding anniversary.

When we arrived at the hotel we checked in and were allocated a room which was very dark, extremely hot and was very small. I called reception to ask if we could change rooms and was told the hotel was very busy but she would see what she could do. We were still sitting 20 minutes later waiting to find out if we could change rooms. So I had to call reception again to see what was happening and she said she was looking into it and would call me back. Very frustrating since we just wanted to go and explore the hotel, however we hung on and 10 minutes later there was a knock at the door and the porter was going to show us another room, he showed us 202 this time and it was even hotter and smaller. By this time we were getting quite agitated. I called reception again and explained that the room we were in was far too hot, and did they really not have any other options? She said they had another room on the 3rd floor but she thought we wanted to move down a floor? A misunderstanding obviously because all we wanted was a bigger room with better ventilation. However another porter eventually appeared, and took us to room 318, which was a lovely big room and was, thankfully, a lot cooler. So we took this room instead, however we were then left with both sets of keys and left to transfer our luggage ourselves but not before having to wait a further 20 minutes while the maid finished. By this point we were really annoyed as we were at your hotel to celebrate our first anniversary not sit around and wait to get into our new room and transfer our luggage ourselves.

We then decided to go down to the spa & leisure are to try and unwind. I had booked a facial for 4.30pm, which I was really looking forward to after the hassle checking in. I arrived at 4.20pm to be met with a curt reply from the Spa Manager that my appointment was actually 4.15pm. I was made to feel an absolute nuisance and after they had turned their backs on me to discuss between themselves, I was made to sit on the couch and wait for my appointment.

There was also absolutely no assistance in the gym area, to show us where anything was or how to work the machines. When I went to try and find someone to ask them to show us where the sauna/steam room area was there was no one around. We gave up and went up to our room to relax, deciding we would like a drink we called room service but there was no answer after trying again and again. I eventually phoned reception and they said they would deal with it. Again all we wanted was some room service but this turned into a mission aswell.

Dinner was a pleasant enough experience, with the staff being quite attentive.

However the final nail in the coffin was when we were checking out on the Sunday the reception staff attempted to overcharge us!!

I have since spoken to a few people who had similiar problems when staying there so it appears to be an ongoing problem. Which is a shame because it would be a lovely hotel with the right management.

All in all there are better hotels in the UK and I wouldn't want anyone else to waste their money in this inadequate hotel.

Dissapointing in every way.

by TripAdvisor Member Lozerilla

I booked a weekend at the Marine as a birthday treat for my lovely man.
We had a night in Edinburgh at the Raddison - truly fabulous - so we had high hopes for the Marine. Our superior sea view room turned out to be a cubby hole overlooking the car park. When I pointed out that we had booked a superior sea view room, the receptionist tartly demended our written confirmation - thank heaven I had printed it out and took it along!

After much huffing and puffing from the reception lady, we were presented with a garret with a tiny window. The view was lovely but two could not share it at the same time! The window would open about 3 inces so no ventilation could be had. It was grubby and had little storage - even the hospitality tray was in the wardrobe because therewas nowhere else for it to go!

We asked to be moved, and although the Duty Manager agreed that it was not a superior room he couldnt (or wouldnt) move us. A shambles.

Things ot no better. Breakfast took over an hour and a half and we were given the wrong food twice. I eventually had the pleasure fof being presented with a very rare poached egg ... nasty.

I could go on for hours. We did complain in the nicest way. Perhaps we should have ranted and raved. The staff were great at slick apologies but not one of our complaints were resolved properly.

I have now written to the Deputy Chief Executive Director. I'ts a five page missive. I noted on thier website that he is "determined to provide exceptional quality of service", and that he would "achieve his goals through the development of his people".

Perhaps they have all left to work ar the Radisson in Edinburgh!

Book this one at your peril. Four star it truly is not.

High aspirations, but service a let down

by TripAdvisor Member fineanddandy

Like other reviewers, we had a very mixed experience. Superb location with glorious sea views, expensive makeover of interior but overall service was poor. Rooms are nicely fitted out, and interior has been restored sympathetically. Nice new spa with hot tub inside/outside and impressive thermal suite with treatments. Understand there is a conference centre as well. Quality of meals sometimes very good, but also very poor. Rather fussy presentation, perhaps more attention to basic quality would be more welcome. Quite pricey, but if they got it right it would be worth it. Unfortunately whole dining experience overshadowed by extremely mixed service, initially seemed good but then left waiting. One night waited 45 mins for starters to arrive. Similar problems endemic in UK hotels..far too high a percentage of young inexperienced foreign-speaking staff with inadequate supervision. Had same experiences in Hotel Sheraton Edinburgh and St. Andrews Bay Hotel. Just don't expect to have to put up with that in 4 and 5 star hotels! Disappointed but perhaps I was just unlucky!

Stunning Hotel and Location

by TripAdvisor Member tom564

Just returned from a 2 day break at the Marine. The hotel now fully refurbished is extremely comfortable. The refurb has made use of its location, you can spend all day sitting watching golfers or activity on the forth. Food was excellant both nights, as were the breakfasts, the hotel was fairly quiet hence no issues with speed of service.

Made use of swimming pool on several occassions. This is a very good size for a hotel pool and i liked how they have a section laned off for people wanting to swim lengths when it is busy, however over the 2 days i was there i had the pool to myself. Speaking to the staff it only tends to get busy on weekends.

Overall will be heading back asap.

One point to note work is still going on at one end of the hotel where appartments are being built and the builders started at 8am each morning so if you are looking for a lie-in try and avoid these rooms.

Fantastic Location, fabulous Views

by TripAdvisor Member Jonnymc31

Best described as a grand old building thats had a magical refurbishment. I stayed in a king bedded room over looking the front of the hotel, with views across the golf course towards the sea. The rooms are a mix of classic design with the original historic details with high ceilings, cornicing. The public areas have small lounge areas with open fire places and deep squashy sofas to sink into. If leisure is important the hotel have built a purpose designed facility with good sized pool, 5 different styles of steam room and sauna along with Scotlands only outdoor salt water hydro pool, alhough its is quite small. Food in the restaurant was very tastey although the restaurant lacked atmosphere and personal service, not off putting to sdtay here again. Definatley worth a stay and ideal for exploring all the area has to offer.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member member from

We had one night here with friends in January and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had had very a poor response from the reception staff when trying to book and subsequently also when we had to alter our booking but a letter of apology from the manager and some wine for the dinner table more than compensated for this. The service in the restaurant was excellent as was the food. The location of the hotel is superb and we had two beautiful sunny days so we saw the area at its best. We would definitely return to this hotel.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member gpowell52

The hotel in very clean and the service is excellent.
The sauna etc was first class with something for every one, although, the jacuzzi was closed on our first day, but when it was opened it was lovely to sit in the hot water while having the choice to stay go outside as well.
Breakfast was plentyful and good quality, with good service. and chioce.
Rooms comfortable with nice deco and sky TV.
Drinks very expensive, £4.10 a pint and £7.00 for a glass of wine.
I would stay here again, give it a try.

Comments