1 Tower Place, Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland EH6 7DB, United Kingdom

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• ducati's Profile Photo

Best Design Hotel

Once a seamen's hostel, the Malmaison offers good value yet stylish digs only 10 minutes by bus from the city center. Public areas have dramatic black, cream, and taupe color schemes. King-size beds, CD players, and satellite TV are standard in all bedrooms, which are decorated in a chic, bold modern style. The French theme of the hotel (sister to the Malmaison in Glasgow) is emphasized in the Café Bar and Brasserie, serving all day. 60 rooms with bath. Restaurant, café, bar, free parking. AE, DC, MC, V. (dixit Fodor's)

Directions: near the docks

• benkade's Profile Photo

Malmaison, Leith.

100 squid a night.

Unique Quality: The Edinburgh Malmaison is housed in a converted sailor's barracks. It is a stately looking small castle that is wonderfully decorated inside, very nouveau. The rooms are plush, the bar is atmospheric and relaxing, and the restaurant is elegant.

More about Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh

My first choice in Edinburgh

by TripAdvisor Member albi1979

I stayed in the Malmaison Edinburgh for 2 nights on business in January 06. I am used to staying in totally boring, bland, could be anywhere type of business hotels but this was soooo different.

I arrived quite late having got the last flight and the check in staff were totally sympathetic to this. The atmosphere in the hotel was so relaxing, the muted, dark colours everywhere making it feel really special.

My room was lovely, a massive bed, a pristine bathroom and a view over the water. It couldn't have been more comfortable if they tried!

The water out of the taps was slightly brown (apparently a common problem in Leith but had been fulled tested as safe), so they had provided bottled water free.

I ordered room service the first night, and ate in the restaurant the second night both of which were fantastic.

Can't fault it, totally wonderful - at last a business quality hotel with personality, individuality and luxury!

Malmaison Experience

We stayed at the Malmaison, Edinburgh for two nights 2&3 July 2006. On arrival we found that there was no record of our booking even though we had a reference number which was annoying. The hotel is situated a few miles outside Edinburgh City Centre in an area which on approach looks run down yet the area around the hotel has been regenerated and is quite pleasant. There are bars and restaurants nearby and the excellent and inexpensive public transport system means that the City Centre is in easy reach with very frequent bus rides. The hotel itself was very clean and the bedroom was of a high standard and we were fortunate to have a room at the front of the hotel, soom rooms at the back did not have the luxury of a waterfront view, it is worth requesting a room on the front. The hotel is modern with a bar and resaurant which is quite pricey. The room rates are pricey too given the hotel is not in the City Centre. Overall if you don't mind a short ride to the City then the Malmaison is a pleasant experience.

Sunshine on Leith

by TripAdvisor Member uryjm

In a nice location in yuppified Leith (which was where Irvine Welsh originally found inspiration for Trainspotting - before it was regenerated) the hotel is situated in an impressive stone building overlooking the docks. I managed to park right in front of the door, although I was later informed the hotel has its own car parking 'round the back.
If you know the Malmaison chain, you'll know what to expect. It was one of the first boutique hotel groups in the UK and most that I've stayed in follow the same formula, with stylish furniture (which looks now if it could have come from Ikea) and trendy colour schemes, although my room suffered from an overdose of Brown. As far as hotels go, the rooms have little cause for complaint except for the fact that I stayed on one of the three warm summer days Scotland is alloted each year and with no air conditioning my room was like an oven. Also, being situated at the back of the hotel, I had lovely views over the the kitchen's air conditioning units. No doubt it costs extra to have a room overlooking the docks.
I didn't eat in the hotel, but the waitress service in the bar was friendly and efficient and I had a pleasant pint in the pub next door too. Be aware, however, that Leith used to be a rough district of Edinburgh and there are still a few dodgy looking characters wandering around the place.
Checking out in the morning was a bit on the slow side, but overall I enjoyed my stay and would definitely consider it again for a visit to Edinburgh.

Loved it!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Mini-break-queen

What a fab Hotel. We went there for two nights for a girls weekend, everyone had a great time. The rooms were beautifully decorated, the food weas great and the bar was fab!
As there were 10 of us, we hired the private dining room, at no charge. It was done up so beautifully. There was music playing and 70 tea lights lit all around the room and on the biggest table I have ever seen. The minute we walked in, we had the Wow factor.
Before dinner, we met in the Champagne bar which was great. It has a real buzz in it and was filled with guests and locals. Definitely worth a visit and a glass of Chamapgne!
All in all, I definitely recommend this Hotel and am looking forward to trying out the one in Glasgow at some point.

Great hotel, great staff, despite how it's run!

by TripAdvisor Member Nom_de_screen

We stayed at the Malmaison for three nights during the Edinburgh Festival. It's in an ideal location if you don't want to pay top dollar to be in the city centre, just a short walk from a bus stop that has frequent buses to the city centre. Also, it's on The Shore waterfront and has some lovely bars and restaurants nearby. The rooms are small but comfortable and nicely decorated with TV and CD/MD player. The breakfast is just ok, I'd book room only and venture further afield for something nicer. The staff are really helpful and friendly but the reception area is understaffed and most times there is a queue. The strangest thing though was that the rooms had no safes and there was no safety deposit box system! So unless you wanted to carry money etc. around on your person you had to put it in an ordinary envelope and staff would put it in the hotel safe. It was most unsatisfactory as you had to count your money in and out at the main reception desk and sign over the envelope seal. Very odd! Overall I got the impression of a nice hotel with good "at the coalface" staff doing their best despite poor management at the higher levels (i.e., deciding on no safes, not enough reception staff and not the best breakfast ingredients).

Dissapointed

by TripAdvisor Member kyrikos

I have been to quite a few Malmaison hotels round the U.k. and this was one of the most dissapointing.
We arrived there at 4ish on Saturday, end of August. Parking was really good (free on site) and the area is really beautiful. Lots of stylish bars and fantastic local fish restaurants.The building itself is stunning, thus our elevated expectations.
Our room was very mediocre. Etremely average,although we had paid 165 pounds for the night. Small room,horrible colours (definetely not mal life) and not a comfy bed. It definetely needs refurbishment to be back to the Mal level.
We still had a good time in Edinburgh and as I said the hotel lacks style. Also, we had to wait for abou 40 min for our breakfast to be served. On the plus side the never charged us for the breakfast,cauze we left before they served it.

Mal maison non Bon Maison

by TripAdvisor Member JHankin

What a truly excellent hotel, chic, boutique, intimate if you want it to be, gregarious if you don't.Staff very helpfull, rooms spotless and belong in a designer magazine.They even encourage you to own and take their fabulous toileteries.The restaurant, is excellent and wine list, although small has an ecletic selection.

Our first visit to Edinburgh , our first visit to Leith - thank you Mal Maison for making it so memorable.

Must try harder and get the basics right

by TripAdvisor Member tomcat22

Stayed at this hotel on sunday night and was really looking forward to staying at a Malmaison as we had never stayed at this chain before.
I have to say i was very disappointed with the room as it did not have air conditioning and apparently none of the rooms do,it was quite hot and this made for one of the most uncomfortable nights sleep I have ever had anywhere in the world!
The staff tried very hard and were eager to please by arranging to have an evaportive air cooler unit brought to the room but this only lowered the temp by a degree or so (it was 25c in the room).
The room itself was small and the sink had 3 large cracks in it which had been there for a while (not very good for a 4 star hotel).
Breakfast was average at best but we had a 5 course dinner in the evening and this was fantastic and I would give it 5 out 5 for quality and taste. Staff also were very helpful and eager to please so i would rate them 5 out of 5 also.
In conclusion I would say this hotel has nice staff,great evening food and a good location but is let down by the room size and quality and not having air con is a massive blunder in my opinion.

Comments