Marchfield Guest House

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data

More about Edinburgh

Princes Street Bagpipe PlayerPrinces Street Bagpipe Player

Our reflection in The Bad Ass, EdinburghOur reflection in The Bad Ass, Edinburgh

National Museum of ScotlandNational Museum of Scotland

Castle from BelowCastle from Below

Meeting Other VT'rs

by al_mary

**** NOTE ****
This has also been posted in the
Events & Meetings section, you
can sign up there, or send us an
e-mail ....

Greetings from the USA:

My wife and I will be in Edinburgh
for the 1st time in September, and
we would like to meet up with other
VT'rs while we are there for coffee,
a drink or two, or an traditional
Scottish lunch or dinner.

We arrive later in the afternoon on
September 10th and leave the morning
of the 18th.

Any day/night from the 10th thru the
17th would be fine.

We hope to hear from some fellow VT'rs
from the Edinburgh area ....

Happy Travels,
Al and Mary - USA

Re: Meeting Other VT'rs

by iaint

I'll put my name down. Availability depends on work & family commitments (I run a taxi service for a teenager in my limited free time), but I'm only 30 minutes away by train, and with a whole week to play with, something ought to be possible.

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

Hollyrood Palace

by globetrott

This Palace is at the lower end of the so-called " Royal Mile " - and when you get there by car, you will find one of the biggest parkings of Edinburg there directely at the castle. Holyrood Palace is still one of the official residences of the British Queen.Parts of the Palace may be visited.

Balmoral Hotel

by JUNLI

Balmoral Hotel
The statue of Sir Walter Scott is *sitting* in the Scott Monument, and the clocktower of Balmoral Hotel is at the east side of Princes Street, which is a landmark of this renowned street.

THEY DON'T WEAR WOOL FOR NO REASON!

by MarieGutscher

SUMMER
Bring your umbrella or rain jacket - it will rain during your visit - that's a promise!
WINTER
Wool is the best thing to wear to keep the damp away from you.
GENERAL
Bring nice warm sweaters - it gets chilly in the evenings no matter what the season.

SHOES - On Cobblestone
Unless you don't mind breaking your ankles don't wear high heeled boots or shoes in Old Town...that is unless you know how to walk on cobblestone.
If you're like me and refuse to hem pants - thus having no choice but to wear a shoe with a heel - just make sure that your heals have rubber on the bottom of them to grip the stones.
How do I know this? I wore inappropriate footwear with hard leather soled heels the last time I went to Edinburgh. Regrettably, every time I crossed a cobblestone street I would inadvertently launch into a terrifying performance of "Riverdance meets the Highland Fling on Busy Street". Arms and legs flailing about - like a spastic marionette!
It wasn't pretty - don't let this happen to you. Ahem...ladies...if you like internal feminine protection with an applicator - bring it with you. They must have them with applicators in Scotland but twice I've been visited by Aunt Martha while visiting Scotland and both times I couldn't find any at all.
Was that subtle enough ladies? If you're taking pictures in Scotland - don't get cheap film. Some days everything is gray and overcast - you want a good film that will pick up the subtle colours in stonework etc.

St Margaret's Loch

by susancallus

To our surprise, as we where leaving Arthur's Seat we found ourselves in St Margaret's Loch! This is a very beautiful man made loch with many beautiful swans. Me and my friend forgot our hurry and stopped playing and feeding these friendly swans!!!
Yes! The swans are quite used to people. Not that you would want to try to give them a hug, as my friend tried to do, hahaa :)) but they will quite happily come and eat what you throw at them. We gave them all the bread we had for our snack!

Say Cheese

by clivedinburgh about IJ Mellis

As an odd coincidence I had an IJ Mellis shop just arround the corner from me in Glasgow and my first flat in Edinburgh. The shops are a delight and you always seem to leave with far more than you were after due to the knowledgeable staff leading you to their latest find. CHEESE

Comments