Marriott Dalmahoy

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• jetwind's Profile Photo

Act like Lord of the Manor

MARRIOTT DALMAHOY Nr. EDINBURGH

Located on the 7 Miles East of the Capital of Scotland and located on en-route to Kilmarnock. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the centre from here or just 10 minutes from airport which is close by.
    Situated in the countryside the resort sits in a carpet of green fields and tall trees and is the perfect place to retreat to after a mad day in the city or great game of golf.

There are 299 rooms in all and are quite spacious, my room (76) was located on the ground floor over looking the Golf course. The bathroom was a little small, but was adequate for my family’s needs. The room service is swift; however it is a bit pricey at £9.95 for a club sandwich.

The pool and leisure area is fantastic- the pool was lovely and warm and the steam room was so welcoming after a busy afternoon shopping along princess street.

My over all point of view is that this hotel is affordable luxuaury and is very clean with excellent levels of service and in a good location to the city by pass and local airport.
    In my opinion it’s 10 out of 10.

More about Marriott Dalmahoy

Great stay at Dalmahoy

by TripAdvisor Member Tyne&Wear

Recently stayed at the Dalmahoy and really enjoyed the whole experience. The staff are excellent, very polite and attentive. My husband and I dined in the Pentland restaurant which was most enjoyable and we both found the breakfast really good with a huge choice. The room was very clean and the bed had really wonderful linen and a super comfortable feather bed topper - liked the latter so much, considering buying one for home. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

Not a golf fan but loved the hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member BoyBear

Having just spent a few days at the Dalmahoy on business I must say that I found the experience very pleasant. Check-in was quick and painless and the hotel staff helpful. It is interesting to note the comments of an earlier reviewer regarding the staff being mostly non-Scottish and I suspect that the hotel is merely working within the current economic trends. The staff I encountered were a mix of Polish, Portuguese and even a Botswanan, and frankly were perfectly charming and indeed I commend them for their service. The quality of the food was very good and the restaurant very well run. There were a plethora of Americans and other nationalities all of whom seemed to be enjoying themselves and clearly were attracted by the fact the hotel is owned by the Marriott group and therefore a known quantity. The grounds of the hotel are very enjoyable though spoilt by the golf courses which I understand is something of a draw (!). The rooms are well equipped, clean and comfortable. If the sense is one of being in a prison block as had been mentioned by another reviewer then a bit of “porridge” would be quite appealingly. All in all the Dalmahoy gets a big thumbs up.

Fantastic breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member american_girl_abroad

I stayed at the Dalmahoy with my boyfriend for one night in April 2006. Driving through the grounds to the hotel entrance, the outside facade of the hotel combined with the gorgeous country gardens is very impressive, indeed. You'll find nothing like this back home in the states!

On the inside, the Dalmahoy is nice, but I understand what some mean when they say in previous reviews it is a bit run down and 'needs renovating.' The lobby & bar, for example, are perfectly fine but also not terribly impressive. Perhaps we were expecting a bit more based on the drive up and the outside of the building. Our room was nice and comfortable, although we had a window that rattled all night long! We left a note in the room that hopefully someone discovered so it could be fixed. We didn't actually pay for this room, but if we had, we might have been more disappointed based on the price.

The highlight of our stay was, for me, definitely the breakfast. I've never had such a delicious and wide variety of choices available in any other chain hotel I've stayed!!! We're talking every kind of fresh fruit, granola, pastries, along with a great selection of hot buffet choices - even American crispy bacon!!! I was in heaven. Also, the staff were very, very friendly and were always ready to assist.

Overall, I would stay here again, but only if I found a good rate.

Great hotel with a mix of residents (and staff)

by TripAdvisor Member Smudger_by_the_Sea

I've stayed at the Dalmahoy several times - always on business. The hotel is on the outskirts of Edinburgh, set in attractive countryside. It is very convenient for the airport and great for golf fans. On a practial level, there are several choices for food and drinks. The Cocktail Bar, with wooden panels and leather armchairs is a nice place to relax in the early evening. It gets rather busy after 11pm, catering for the residents and 'corporate functions' that are drawing to a close. They also serve a small selection of snacks.

For those wanting a 'proper' meal, the restaurant offers a wide range - at expected prices for the venue.
I would recommend following the signs to the gym / pool area (don;t get lost!) - here you will find a restaurant/cafe, serving a good selection of European dishes. If you walk straight past this, there is a bar, that doubles as the 'Club House' for the golfers. Enjoy a 'Marriott Burger' for several pounds less than the Room service version.

The rooms are spacious and clean. Being an older British hotel, there is no air-con. Not usually a problem with the British climate, but I have stayed during a heatwave, and it can get a little warm.

All in all, a great hotel, with lots of options on offer. I'd stay again (and almost certainly will in a few weeks)

Less Marriott and more Scottish please

The driver of the courstesy bus from the airport was Scottish, but hardly any other staff were local and they could barely speak English and once inside the hotel you could have been in any chain hotel anywere.
The standard staff response was to smile politely, not really understand and do nothing. Not much help when you want to complain about a dreadful dessert or want assistance with lost property (never turned up).
To be fair, some problems were recified promptly such as a billing error and overbooking of airport transfers, but they shouldn't have happened in the first place. I was 'welcomed' to the swimming pool on my second visit (unlike the first), although the water was a little cloudy and laundry was being stored around the pool.
Marriott - could do better - be a bit more Scottish and employ more local staff.

Had a pleasant stay

by TripAdvisor Member bubba89

Stayed two nights last week and had a pleasant stay. The room was clean and the bed very luxurious but had a stale smell to the room. The breakfast buffet was good and lots of choices but one morning we were invaded by a couple of bus tours from Europe all eating at the same time,very pushy rude people. Staff were friendly and helpful but all seemed to be "in training". Had the unfortunate experience of dining in the "casual restaurant" on the 2nd floor above the indoor pool/fitness area. The worst fish and chips I have ever had yet my husbands fish was perfectly cooked. If the Marriott would update the dining choices and control the bus tour people the hotel would rate higher. Nice close and relaxing location near to the airport.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member zimbogirl

Stayed here for two nights in August with my sister. We were initially only able to book a double room for one night due to lack of availability as it was a late booking and the Edinburgh festival was on. However when we checked in the helpful staff managed to find us a twin room and fit us in for an extra night. The downside was that it was a smoking room and neither of us are smokers.

The hotel location is great, very easy to find and quiet and peaceful once you're there. It's difficult to believe you're so close to Edinburgh centre.

The hotel itself, although it seemed quite small, was something of a maze. The room was clean, comfortable and well appointed, with everything in working order. The swimming pool was a little over chlorinated but very refreshing otherwise and the locker/changing rooms very well equipped.

Food in the bar and restaurant was very good and reasonably priced in comparison with hotels of a similar standard.

Overall, a pleasant stay.

Excellent weekend break hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TT&DT

Stayed for weekend and found the room very clean and spacious with good facilities. The bathroom was a bit of a let down with mildew on tiles/taps (this is so common for 4 star hotels...don't think they've heard of the domestic cleaners we use at home!)
There were weddings on both nights we stayed and these did not interfere in any way on our stay.
The hotel is a quick drive to Edinburgh city centre where we went for our evening meals.
The gym was well equipped and the pool a decent size. We treated ourselves to some massages/facials which we prebooked which were good but the weekend we stayed the therapist was not available for our first choice treatments and therefore we had to have some alternatives.
We used Tesco Clubcard vouchers to pay for part of our stay and we were not treated any differently with all the staff being very nice and helpful.
The breakfast was plentiful and had a very good varied choice. The staff were constantly replenishing the items so everything seemed fresh.
Being married to someone with an electrical background, there were some concerns about some of the appliance wiring in the room but my husband is going to highlight this direct with the hotel.

Stayed in a turret suite

by TripAdvisor Member ailuro

We booked a year in advance for a suite for a family wedding in June 2006, and got a package for D, B&B for 206 pounds a night.
The cheapest the bridal party could get a normal B&B room (specail rate) was 130 GBP, so we were very happy with the rate. The room itself was very big, the website does not do them justice. The room has a giant table which seats 8 or more in the circular turret section.We got the mini bar cleared out in advance as it's one of those touch anything and get billed types of mini bar, and we wanted to take our own champagne with us.
Our room was so big the bride and bridesmaids came and got their hair done,got ready alongside myself,husband and flower girl daughter.

The wedding was organised very well, none of the staff could be faulted in any way.
We swopped our dinner bookings to the Long Weekend Cafe to be with the rest of the family, and changed it to a buffet lunch on the day of the wedding.
No problem for the kitchens, didn't pay any extras.
Breakfast in the Pentald in the morning was great- you can even have haggis, but being Scottish,we passed on that.Lovely friendly staff here too.

The grounds of the hotel are a championship Golf course, so lots of golf types coming and going,but not from the main hotel area. Nice and lush surroundings too.
The cocktail bar is very pleasant with it's doors opening out onto views of the pond and fountain in the distance.
This hotel also has a very substantial gym- rows of everything, not just one or two, and a very adequate pool.The changing area is up there with my gym.

The only thing that let this place down was the price of a glass of wine, I though 5.60 was a bit steep when the lager was a very reasonable 2.80

Comments