111 Glasgow Rd., Edinburgh, Scotland EH12 8NF, United Kingdom

Booking.com Travelocity Marriott.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Staying over to attend the Tattoo

This was a single night stay; and during August each year it is very difficult to get a hotel room. This is due to the cultural fest that takes place each year over the month of August. In addition this specific weekend saw the Scottish and Italian Rugby teams playing each other at Murrayfield. Much to our surprise we were staying in the same hotel as the Italian team!

We used the executive lounge, which may be a good option if you have a room only rate. However decide for yourself if the food and drink is worth the upgrade rate.

Unique Quality: Located close to Edinburgh International Airport and the Gyle Shopping centre, means that it is about 5 or 6 miles from the central area of Edinburgh. Reasonable public transport routes and taxi service available (circa £15 in each direction).

They have a gym and executive lounge.

(Is the executive lounge worth £25.00? I shall leave that for you to decide.)

More about Marriott Edinburgh

Quite nice - Close to airport

by TripAdvisor Member mskono

We stayed at the Edinburgh Marriott on our last night in Scotland. It is actually quite nice and the rooms are very spacious. We ordered room service and had quite a nice meal...after 2 weeks of driving/touring, it was a nice break.

Had a king room with a sitting area. In the morning, we noticed quite a few rabbits grazing outside our window...a very pleasant way to awaken.

All in all, this is a good place close to the airport in Edinburgh.

OK, but hardly a four star standard

by TripAdvisor Member FortuneofWar

This is my first trip to the UK so perhaps I have unreal expectations but I was certainly expecting more of a hotel that is supposed to be four-star and had received quite good reviews on this forum.

The bed is big and clean. Towels and linen are new and lovely. And the staff were courteous in hearing my complaints.

However, the small room is quite claustrophobic with a low ceiling. The bathroom is very small - I had to rearrange things to fit my toothpaste tube on the vanity! The hairdryer is kept in the desk drawer - I guess because there is simply no room in the bathroom - but why bolt it down out there? The airconditioner is extremely noisy but despite it's noise doesn't seem to do anything (OK that's probably not an issue in winter, but I'm here in summer). My complaint to the reception desk brought out a desk fan but no sign of any improvement to suggest that maintenance staff actually visited (as promised). Public areas are quite nice but furniture and furnishings in the room are quite tired. And one final note - the hotel is 5 miles away from anything - so, nice and quiet of an evening but hardly convenient for Edinburgh's many wonderful attractions.

If this was a two star hotel in country Australia at a third of the rate I'd be quite happy. But it's not four-star and (perhaps due to exchange rates too) far more expensive than the genuine five star properties (Hilton, Hyatt, Westin, Shangri La) that I stay at in Australia. I won't return.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member fortune

Upon arrival at the hotel, check in was very efficient + the staff were professional and friendly. My room was clean + large. I did not have breakfast as I had to be out very early but I did have a carvery meal in the evening. It was average - not the best meal I've ever had but certainly not the worst! If you don't want to eat at the hotel, there is a little shopping centre about 5 minutes walk away - (turn left out of the hotel) it has a Marks + Spencer, Boots + a Morrisons so if you don't want to splash out too much on food you can grab a snack from there!
All in all, a good hotel - I would definitely stay here again - not in the city centre but not far on the bus + very close to the airport!

Poor location - great beds!

by TripAdvisor Member Counter65

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in late August. The hotel is located on the western side of the city, fair distance from downtown Edinburgh. The room was ok, however the windows were tiny! I felt a bit claustrophobic. King size bed was very comfortable. The A/C barely worked however this seems to be the norm in the UK. The fire alarm went off at 3am forcing everyone out into the rain. After about 30 minutes we were cleared to go inside. A hotel was nice enough to explain that a small fire had occured in one of the rooms. The conceirge lounge staff were friendly, front desk staff were indifferent. Would definately staff somewhere closer to downtown Edinburgh next time.

ok hotel, excellent staff!!

by TripAdvisor Member mnbvczz

i stayed in the hotel for a weekend in september with my wife. on arrival we were greeted by inconsiderate staff who didnt care about our 8hr in getting here. this all changed however, when we chose to let of some steam in the leisure centre. here the staff were excellent and couldnt have been more helpful. a big thank you in particular to casey and scott who organised some beauty treatments for us on the day and told us of the best places locally to eat and visit.
will definately be returning in the future

Decent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member chriskathkirsty

Very nicely appointed hotel, the room (Executive Room) was excellent the bed fantastic. The let down was the restaurant - the carvery a sound idea but just not classy enough for a 4 star hotel.

Perhaps the hotel being so popular they feel that their repuation for food isn't a must.

One last moan - the cost of drinks is as eveyone knows one of the delights of the hotel experience, but £6 plus for a glass of wine!

Great location if you are driving to Edinbugh the buses into town are plentiful with the bus stop outside the hotel entrance.

All in all would probably not go back in my quest for classier food.

Great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member 1875

Stayed one night at this hotel and it was lovely. Had dinner in the restaurant (carvery) and it was very good. Staff very attentive. Breakfast was lovely with the best selection of food we have ever had in a 4 star hotel. Very fresh. Only downside was the bar was pricey and when I was looking at the price list (high up on the wall and tiny print) I was told by the staff it was out of date! We will be back with our own carry out!

Nice Overnight Stay Near the Airport for Early Flight

by TripAdvisor Member jollyjetlaggers

Marriott Hotel is conveniently located near the Edinburgh International Airport which is ideal if you have an early flight to board and you need a good nights sleep before boarding on a long haul flight abroad. Our hotel room was clean and comfortable and very quiet. The quality of the bed and pillows - WOW! Absolutely superb comfort...so good were they we are shopping around for pillows that have that Marriott hotel quality of bedding!! Most definitely recommended to all you travellers who value a good nights sleep and comfort with a capital "C".

The hotel food at the Carvery restaurant was a little bland and set in a buffet style for serving hotel guests. We agree with the previous reviewers that the bar is a no-no as in "not worth paying that much" and when I asked for a Pina Colada, the female bartender served the Pina Colada on ice to me and unbeknowest to me, with one sip I sipped no more and returned it because she poured the thick pina colada mixture only in the glass - yuck! Obviously, she did not know you are suppose to add some rum and other goodies to make a proper Pina Colada. So if you order a Pina Colada make sure to watch how its being made because the bartender was not very knowledgeable or just play it safe and ask for a pint of beer.

Overall, a lovely overnight stay and we recommend the Marriott.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member lochfyne

We're just back from a two night stay at this hotel. One night I booked in advance and got it for 68 pounds, including breakfast. The other night I booked just two days before and had to pay 75 pounds with no breakfast included. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the hotel is. I loved the gym which has all the machines you could possibly need. There's a large shopping centre close by, and of course there's the airport too. For an airport hotel, I really think the Marriott is very good indeed. I'd definitely stay here again.

A great place to base yourself in Edinburgh

by TripAdvisor Member stew75

The hotel is conviniently located close to the airport and a 10minute taxi to the city itself, making it an excellent place to stay.
The staff were happy and friendly and sympathetic to refund a breakfast on all 6 rooms when we dined in the wrong restaurant, however the Executive lounge that we were entitled to eat in free of charge had no food left at 10.30 and breakfast is served until 11, so I dined on shortbread that morning!!!
Rooms are comfortable and spacious and the beds are beauuuuuuuuuutifully comfy.
The bar's a tad on the pricy side and the only other thing that's marked this hotel down was the lack of breakfast.
We all enjoyed our stay here and would reccommend this hotel to anyone wishing to take a short break in Edinburgh.

Comments