Murrayfield Hotel & Lodge Edinburgh

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Murrayfield Hotel & Lodge Edinburgh

for rugby fans...

by iaint about Murrayfield Hotel

This place is across the street from the international rugby stadium at Murrayfield. The nearest place for a drink before or after the game...

Unfortunately, it is so busy on international days that you'd be quicker going to the moon than getting to the bar.

I'm in there occasionally because my son plays ice hockey at the Murrayfield Ice Arena, next door to the rugby bit. Dive over there when hypothermia becomes a threat.

Avoid Thursdays - quiz night - urgh... "What was the last song written by Rogers & Hammerstein?" Who cares...

Does food, and seems popular. Must try sometime.

UPDATE

Finally tried the food last night (20-4-10). Normal pub type stuff - haggis, neeps & tatties for me and steak/ale pie for my brother - nothing wrong with it but not exciting either. None that I know of...

Mons Meg with me at the backMons Meg with me at the back

'I love Bobby', Greyfriar's, Edinburgh (Aug. 2008)'I love Bobby', Greyfriar's, Edinburgh (Aug. 2008)

Main (old) standMain (old) stand

City tour buses, EdinburghCity tour buses, Edinburgh

I forgot to ask

by nanapie

which ghosttour would you freccommend for 13 and 14 year old. scary (not too much I dont want to traumatise them) and funny and interesting. There are so many choices and varying reviews I am totally confused.

by henry14

The 'ordinary' tour of Mary Kings Close is interesting, and a bit scary itself as its underground. They also offer a supernatural tour you could consider? I havent done the supernatural tour but would recommend the regular one. Perhaps you could email them via their website and check if its suitable for young teens? http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

by auldreekier

Yeah, I agree, Mary Kings Close is suitable for any age really and is a wee bit scary because you are underground and if you get a good tour guide they can been humourous too.

by kat-m

I would go on the city of the dead tour, a wee bit creepy when you get to the cemetary but teenagers will love it. I have a tip on my scotland page under edinburgh

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

Edinburgh Tip

by A2002

The traffic wardens are extremely efficient. I parked my car in a controlled area where parking is free until 8am. I went to my car at 7.55am. Guess what, 2 traffic wardens were already there waiting to issue parking tickets. Never knew they are so efficient!

The little Poet who inspired a National Bard

by scottishvisitor

Robert Fergusson was born in Edinburgh on 5th. September 1750 his parents were from Aberdeenshire. He won a school bursary to attend the Royal High School which included continuing his education at Dundee Grammer School & finally St. Andrews University. His Father died & he returned to Edinburgh to look after his Mother & Sister without his degree. He took up employment as a humble clerk with the grand wages of 1 penny per page. One of his poems "The farmer's ingle" inspired Robert Burns to write his "Cotter's Saturday night" Robert died in Bedlam hospital after suffering a fall he died a porper in 1774. Robert Burns paid for a Headstone to be erected in memory of Robert & said of him "My elder brother in muse & my elder brother in misfortune"
The statue can be seen outside Cannongate Kirk & the headstone in the Church Yard.

The Moon

by Suet

We are super lucky here. We have an undisturbed view of the moon rising and setting in the countryside. Very often, I drive Gardenboy home on a moonlit night. I sometimes pause and park the car just to take in the stillness of it all.

I have a telescope here in the house. It is ready at all times for star spotting or moon gazing.

shop til you drop

by dotshand

Edinburgh has a wealth of shops from tourist shops selling tarten teddies to designer. The Royal Mile has most of the tartan gift shops, where you can anything tarten. Princes Street has all the usual department stores, Jenners being the most famous, it is a posh department store, which has a great toy department, perfumery, designer clothes. There are also a couple of shopping malls around the city centre the usual gifts are of course anything tartan, scarfs, rugs, hats, teddies. why not try some scottish shortbread, a really rich buttery biscuit, lovely. Or take home a haggis, if your journey is not too long.

Comments