Priestfield Road, Edinburgh, Scotland EH16 5UT, United Kingdom

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 201% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Maidstoneman's Profile Photo

Gracious and stupendous

Luxury country house type hotel located at the foot of the rocky crags about 5 minutes drive from the city centre.

Unique Quality: We stayed in the Franklin Suite - bedroom and sitting room with two ensuites. Fantastic decor and exceptional staff.

More about Prestonfield House

Great, Luxurious and Quiet

by TripAdvisor Member Charlotte B. Hayden

Stayed at Prestonfield on May 23-24, the staff was very helpful and took an active interest in our trip to Scotland. Made recommendations on places not to miss and things to avoid. The hotel is very luxurious with velvet panel walls... very sexy. Our room looked out onto the gardens where peacocks roamed. Quiet and tranquil. Prestonfield was a wonderful place for my husband and myself to relax and recharge ourself after a 15 hour flight. Food both for dinner and breakfast was fantastic!!! Again, the staff met and went beyond our needs. Great job! No doubt, would stay at Prestonfield again!!!

Very disappointing!

by TripAdvisor Member sophieann

We stayed in Prestonfield last year and loved it. We thought the food fantastic, the service excellent - nothing was too much trouble..We returned this April and found it completely different..the staff were surly and rude. The food was incredibly poor quality for the price. The waitress seemed to expect us to be honored that she was serving us. On leaving in a taxi we were getting a tip for the porter, who looked ungrateful and sullen that we kept him waiting. We are returning to Edinburgh at Christmas time this year. I imagine Prestonfield would look amazing at Christmas as it is a lovely place but after our last experience I would be hesitant to stay there again.

Unique and Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member nicgooner

This place really is very, very special. Having stayed in some of the world's best hotels I can honestly say that this was a unique stay and a memorable life experience. The public rooms at night, especially the Tapestry Room by candlelight, are a sensual delight. Rhubarb has to be the most beautiful dining room in the UK. The service was also fantastic. Staff were without exception friendly, efficient and welcoming. Everyone should experience Prestonfield and The Witchery once in their lives. Worth every penny.

Pleasant but pricey

by TripAdvisor Member frogprince

Stayed at Prestonfield for two nights in early May 2006. It's located in a "beauty spot" with pretty views of pastures with Highland cattle, great old trees and peacocks strolling around. We had a driver so it wasn't a problem being so far from the city center, but those seeking something within walking distance to the tourist sites would likely be inconvenienced by Prestonfield's location. We ate twice at Rhubarb and enjoyed both meals, although with the weakness of the U.S. dollar, it seemed very expensive. Breakfast, which was included in the room rate, was lovely and the service was excellent (a little less so at dinner, when the dining room gets quite busy with locals coming for a special evening out). The decor of this place is over-the-top Edwardian bordello and if you like that sort of thing, it's great. Otherwise it might seem a little claustrophobic, with stuff everywhere, dark rich colors and lots of braid and ornament. Our room was comfortable but needed new carpet, and for the money I have to say I was just a little disappointed.

Absolute Opulence

by TripAdvisor Member loupeelou7

I took my husband to Prestonfield for a surprise on his 40th birthday. We stayed in a deluxe room and ate at Rhubard which was an absolute culinary delight. The service was immaculate across the board from the porters to the reception staff to the restaurant and bar staff. We were also very lucky with the weather allowing us to sip champagne on the terrace with the sound of bagpipes and the peacocks in the distance. Our only slight complaint was that the somelier didn't appear to have much knowledge about wine and so could not advise us as to the best option for our meal. All in all, a fantatsic trip with a definate WOW factor. We will definately go back.

WOW! Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member BUD123

My wife and I stayed here for three nights at the beginning of Aug as we were attending a wedding in Prestonfield.
We were completely blown away the minute we pulled up to the door. The service was so so friendly and genuine. The decor is the most classic and plush I have seen in a long time in my many travels.
There are only 24 rooms so it really feels like you have 1-2-1 service. We did not have the pleasure of having dinner in the 'Rhubarb' restaurant but have been told by friends that it is amazing. We had breakfast in the morning and it was excellent!
This is a very special hotel and I can highly recommend it for a romantic getaway/honeymoon etc.

Truly disapointing

by TripAdvisor Member adownie1

I stayed at Prestonfield for the first and second night after my wedding. I was very excited after reading the excellent reviews and recommendations in several magazines. Unfortunately it was a very disappointing stay. The service was appalling. We arrived late in the evening after our wedding. We had informed the hotel what our arrival time would be. The greeting was unfriendly; we were made to feel like an inconvenience. The ice bucket had been left to melt which had seeped on to the cloth and dripped water all over the table and floor. The light didn't work in the bathroom. The TV remote was broken. We had booked a deluxe double which was tiny. I dread to think what size the standard rooms are.
We were woken the following morning at eight o' clock by a wake up call that we had not asked for. This was followed twenty minutes later with someone knocking at the door.

The worst part however was that they also got our booking wrong. Despite us having an email confirmation from the hotel, we were requested by the receptionist in front of other guests to settle our bill after our first night. It was embarrassing; they made it look like we were trying to leave without paying. Even when we showed the confirmation and explained we were staying for two nights no apology was made. We were just informed that its was ok we could stay another night. By this point I was tempted to check out.

There are good points at Prestonfield, the hotel is beautiful and the food excellent, but when you are paying that kind of money it is service that counts and the service at Prestonfield is appalling.

Out of this World

by TripAdvisor Member blain57

After research and reviews I plumped for the Prestonfield and I was not dissappointed. This hotel is truly fantastic. From the moment you arrive to be greeted by the black kilted staff who escort you through the grand hallway to the decedant reception where you are greeted by very helpful staff. The luxury double room was an experience not to be missed. Grand, over the top and out of a shakespeare book with some chilled Champagne and chocolate mousse thrown in. You are then allowed to roam freely through the 23 acre gardens with peacocks or sip your champagne in 1 of the 4 themed rooms. Sitting in the tapestry room makes you feel like royalty or chill in the yellow room. Helpful staff will give you the full tour if you require. Try all the rooms, sample whisky in the whisky room, sit out on the terrace. Everything has to be experienced and seen to be believed. Fluffy robes, dvd player, large screen telly etc. 5 star, first class and I will be back.

Fantastic service, accommodation and food

by TripAdvisor Member Egobreed

Allow me to set the scene for you: we had read some of the other reviews on Trip Advisor before going to stay here, including some of the one-star reviews, and we were prepared to be disappointed. The comments that worried us most were the ones regarding snooty, disinterested staff. Having experienced this elsewhere (the Edinburgh Malmaison springs to mind!), I know how much this can ruin a break, even if everything else is good.

So, we thought, perhaps we have to turn up in an S-class Merc (or helicopter), dress immaculately and then splash the cash to get decent service? That could not be further from the truth. We turned up in my Golf, dressed in jeans and t-shirts, and received a warm, friendly, genuine welcome.

We checked in with the minimum of fuss, with everything well explained to us, and were taken down to our room, a large luxury double on the ground floor. Despite not having informed them of our arrival time, our champagne was nicely chilled, and our chocolate pots were fresh. The chocolate pots were a bit of a weird touch to be honest, but were pleasantly unctious and indulgent, much like the room itself. There was plenty of large, dark furniture, purple velvet, mirrors, and nice touches like a cafetiere, decent robes and toiletries, and a flat screen TV. And, it was all very clean and tidy, apart from one large cobweb, which, to be fair, was only visible when one of the lamps was on.

After being out for a short walk, we came back to find that the bed had been turned down, and everything that we'd messed up had been straightened out again. Attentive, but not intrusive.

Being total food-bores, we were looking forward to dinner in Rhubarb, and we were impressed from the start, with a wine waiter who was knowledgable without being remotely intimidating. I couldn't see any Viognier in the wine list having flicked through it, so we asked and he was able to recommend one. This was a wee bit too pricey for us, so he was helpful in finding a similar wine for a bit less money, and then seemed genuinely concerned that we were enjoying it, even offering me a glass of something more to my taste if I wanted (I didn't).

After a small, refreshing amuse-bouche of rocket salad, we had a truly perfect meal, honestly as good as anything I've enjoyed anywhere else. I could now name-drop some very respectable restaurants in Glasgow, Edinburgh and London, but instead I'll just say that this is now my favourite restaurant in the world. Not only was the food utterly faultless, but the setting and the service turned it into something unique and memorable.

If we can scrape together the cash for our next anniversary, we'll probably go back!

Comments