Ramada Mount Royal Edinburgh

Booking.com Priceline.com AMOMA.com

Costs 79% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• CheekyDee's Profile Photo

Great location!

The Ramada Mount Royal was great because it was right smack dab in the middle of Princes Street in Edinburgh which is a great place for everything, shopping, dining, public transport. Not to mention it was close to the Royal Mile, all the major city attractions were walking distance. The hotel was a decent price, good breakfast, very clean and good friendly service. Definitely worth your money.

Directions: 53 Princes Street
    EH2 2DG Edinburgh

More about Ramada Mount Royal Edinburgh

Brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member Nittynatnoo

Stayed at the Ramada Mount Royal for 4 nights 1st to 5th March 2006. Went to Edinburgh on the train so we were pleasaantly suprised that it was only a short walk along Princes Street.
The hotel is ideally located on Princes Street right next door to Jenners department store - a great starting point to explore the city.
We got a cheap deal so our room was at the back of the hotel which does overlook the air conditioning plant of M&S we were not terribly bothered about a view anyway, we were on the 4th Floor and did not hear any noise or disturbance from outside.
Rooms were clean and tidy and staff were helpful and friendly - would definately stay there again.

Great location, pity about the room

by TripAdvisor Member apfelwein

It is hard to beat the location of this hotel. It is right on Princes street within walking distance of the main sites, loads of restaurants and with a wonderful view of the castle.

The staff were very competent and friendly (especially the staff at breakfast). A good breakfast buffet is served in the first floor restaurant (very nice view from here).

Our room was not so great. We opted not to pay 20 pounds per night for a castle view room but got one any way. Unfortunately, the room was very loud (cars, singing partygoers on their way home etc.). In addition to this, the water in the shower was always cold.

A loud room and a bad shower are the two things I dread the most when I check in to a new hotel. Unfortunately, we got both at the Ramada Mount Royal.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Rjoc

The Ramada Mount Royal is superbly located on Princes Street in Edinburgh.

Like the previous poster, I found check in/out to be rather robotic without a hint of personality and I also had the pleasure of waiting behind what appeared to be a stag party when checking in.

The room (a single) wasn't too bad and I've been in worse altough there was a smell of stale smoke. Perhaps a little small but it pretty much covered the basics. It was on the seventh floor and had a shared balcony with the most amazing views. The bed was comfy and provided a sound nights sleep.

I would probably not stay here again as I thought the room rate of £89 didn't represent value for money and I think you could do better for less. This hotel seems to be all about the location and very little esle.

Brilliant choice!

by TripAdvisor Member Angel1968

Stayed at the Mount Royal between Christmas and New Year. Paid £62 a night, which was very reasonable given the wonderfully central location (easy walking distance to the station, right on Princes Street between Jenners and Marks and Spencer) - but the real surprise came when we opened the door to the room and found that we were right at the front of the hotel with a fantastic view of the Castle and the Big Wheel that stands beside the Scott Monument at this time of year! It's possible to pay extra for the view, but we hadn't so it was a particularly wonderful surprise. Both nights of our stay we were able to sit in the chairs provided and soak up the pre-Hogmanay atmosphere from the warmth and comfort of the room. We even had the chance to see the Torchlight procession from there - obviously not something that happens every night of the year, but still worth mentioning.
All that aside, we were well pleased with the hotel. The room was a fair size, reasonably well-furnished, clean and comfortable. Everything worked well and there was no problem with noise, despite being on the main road. Service at check-in was courteous and efficient and there was no difficulty about storing our bags on the day we checked out.

I would definitely stay at the Ramada Mount Royal again - in fact I wished we could have stayed for longer this time!

Fabulous Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Cynthiaanne

Stayed here for 2 nights 1-3 March. We had booked a triple room on a DBB basis on Jarvis's own site and got a great deal. When we arrived we were upgraded to a Castle View Room with lovely views on the front of the hotel(very quiet and no traffic noise). The room was large and ample space for three adults. We were supposed to choose our meals off a set menu but it wasn't available so were given a generous allowance to use the main menu.
On our second night the fire alarm went off and the staff were very good at assembling everybody outside and checked our names off a list 3 times. Very efficient. After the all clear, everybody was served coffee and tea in the bar. A nice touch.
All the staff were vey friendly and helpful the entire length of our stay.
Will definately stay again.

Could do with a makeover

We stayed for two nights at the Ramada in March. Its location opposite the Scott monument is unbeatable for sight seeing, entertainment, museums, eating, drinking and shopping right in the centre of Edinburgh. The absence of any parking is a real problem if you drive there as the nearest car park is a ten minute walk away and expensive (more than £10 per night). The hotel could do with refurbishing - our room was clean (aside from a nasty smell in the bathroom) but very small and showing distinct signs of wear and tear to the furniture and fittings. The view of the castle was fantastic and no problems at all with noise. They could also do with more staff on duty at reception at busy times - we had to queue several times. The entrance and reception are quite dark. The staff were helpful and pleasant. If a city centre hotel is what you want this is hard to beat but it lacks the elegance and facilities that you might expect at this price.

Tired and unloved.

by TripAdvisor Member BoyBear

The Mount Royal enjoys a superb location on Prince’s Street, just a short distance from the main railway station. Sandwiched between Marks and Spencer and Jenners, the entrance is a little inconvenient and certainly not geared for guests with cars. Reception staff met the basic necessary requirements but I can’t say that I was overwhelmed by their manner. They were perhaps a little jaded from dealing with groups of Japanese, American and Dutch tourists whom the hotel seems to attract by the bus load, literally. The hotel as a whole is tired and very much in need of refurbishment and you get the feeling it is uloved. My room, on the 6th floor, had a shared balcony which was awash with cigarette butts. Clearly guests determined to comply with the hotels no smoking policy retired to the balcony and had the strength of character not to flick butts down on unsuspecting passers-by. Although there are double glazed windows the sound from the street was noticeable and groups of loud revellers returning from a night of excess could be easily heard in the early hours of the morning. As there is no aircon in the rooms I imagine they get stuffy in the summer and having to choose between a sleepless night with noise from the street through an open window or sweltering in a closed airlock will be hard choice. I noticed an electric fan in the wardrobe provided by the hotel but would suggest this would be insufficient. The view from the hotel is tremendous and I can see why it is so popular with tourists. Sitting in the restaurant for breakfast I enjoyed the sight of the Castle and the interesting mix of buildings bathed in early morning sunshine. The buffet breakfast was not bad at all and catered for all tastes. Check out was painless, possibly as I avoided the large groups and their baggage. All things said, I think I shall choose somewhere else when next I visit Edinburgh, at least until Ramada invest in a substantial refurbishment project.

Small Room Great Location

This hotel is in a great location, located on Princes Street between the Scot Monument and within walking distance to Edinburgh Castle, the tour bus depot area, and the train station.
Check in was a bit tricky because when you arrive to the hotel, you walk into an area with an empty desk, set of elevators, and a spiral staircase without clear indication to where you check in at. Once we arrived to the 2nd floor check in desk, the staff was very pleasant and offered a locked closet to place our baggage in until our room was ready. They also allowed us this priviledge upon check out while we did some final sight-seeing before our departure time.
The room was clean and had a street view, but no balcony. The bed was adequate after a long journey and much sightseeing, however, it appeared and felt like 2 box springs on top of the other. The room decor and structure definately requires updating, as it is very old and worn, and we heard noise from the hall and from the street. The cleaning staff was very efficient, making sure our bathroom and room were stocked and cleaned daily. Our stay included a continental breakfast daily, and to our surprise it was a full Scottish breakfast!

The day reception staff was much more helpful than the evening staff. On one occasion, we asked an evening staff member where the Scottish Military Academy was. He said he didn't know, but he did attempt to find out by looking on tourist maps (which we had done). We found out the next day that it was on the corner across from the hotel!

Overall, we would consider staying at the Mount Royal Hotel again, only because of its location and breakfast. Hopefully, by then, the management will provide the upgrade it desperately needs!

appalling treatment

by TripAdvisor Member Anon088

The room wasn't great. Ate in the restaurant the first night and it was bland and in no way worth the prices charged. However, my major issue with the hotel was upon leaving. We asked if we could store our bags in the hotel for a couple of hours until we left for the airport and we were told that we couldn't as there was no room. As I was ill during my stay my boyfriend had to carry all the luggage around Edinburgh which spoilt our last day. In this age with such competition, I think this was appalling treatment and I would never be back to the hotel because of it.

Comments