Royal Terrace Hotel

Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
IHG Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• iaint's Profile Photo

I stayed a night there in December 10. I got an excellent deal at £75 plus breakfast. That was a double room, single occupancy.

I knew the place already as (see restaurant tips) I eat there twice a month. It is 4 star and stylish, in a Georgian period building in one of the most exclusive addresses in the city. Tremendously good value - same price as the 3 star & functional Holiday Inn Express round the corner.

The website will give you an idea of how the rooms look. Wifi is free and works well in the rooms. It has a quiet, cosy bar. Breakfast was £10 for the full Scottish. Nothing wrong with it, but more 3 star than 4. But then the price is not high either. I think the 4 star Holiday Inn wants £15 for the same thing. You get what you pay for.

The area is quiet. Public gardens in front, and private ones at the back. But you are only 10 minutes walk to Princes St. You have a good range of restaurants (Italian, Nepalese, Indian, Thai) 5 minutes away on Leith St, and any number of pubs. Even more on Broughton St just 2 minutes further on.

UPDATE!

I had to stay a 2nd night - snowed in. The other room was just as good as the 1st.

UPDATE 2 !

I'm here for the 3rd night in 10 days. I got invited to the hotel's annual Christmas party for "valued" customers! I've just spent a fun hour in the gym, sauna & steam room. Very nice, and quiet. Actually, I was the only person there. Well, it was an artist's date during working hours (he he).

Unique Quality: Location is fabulous. Style really cool. Value for money - excellent.

Directions: From the east end of Princes St go down Leith St. Turn right at the second roundabout, and Royal Terrace is first right (just 20m after the roundabout).

• eriste's Profile Photo

A hotel with key card problems

Enclosed is description of my experiences at Royal Terrace Hotel 17-24.6.2007

I arrived at Sunday. On Monday the key card stopped working and it had to be reloaded. It worked until Tuesday. On Tuesday the key card had to be reloaded again. On Wednesday it worked but on Thursday again reload. On Friday 6 p.m. again the key card did not work. And then also the key card machine at the re-ception did not work for several hours. So I was without a working key to my room and could get in to the room twice only with the staff using master key. At 10 p.m. I got a new key card, which worked 2-3 times. Then again on Saturday it did not work and once more I got a new key card, which also worked about 2-3 times without problems. I decided to try if it is really impossible to get in with the key card. 18 attempts and it was successful. So I did not ask for relo-ad anymore. After that always at least 4-5 attempts and I could get to my room. On Sunday morning I left the hotel.

I have been in about 200 hotels outside Finland and this was the second time with serious problems with the key card. In Neptun Romania year 2004 the key card was changed three times during one week. This was worse than that.

Except these horrible problems with the key card everything else was OK. The staff was friendly and helpful all the time. Breakfast was good. House keeping worked. The room was OK. The location near the Centrum is good.

• Sandye3's Profile Photo

Fun Hotel in Edinburgh

At first I was a little skeptical about staying at this hotel because I read so many not so nice reviews. But I had the best experience there. First I arrived like 5 hours before check-in but the staff was so nice they let me check in early. And it was also their busiest time of year durning the festival, but everone was super fast to attend to your needs. My room was just a standard one bedroom but I could tell it had been renovated and was great!! Everything was spotless. I don't understand why some people had anything negative to say about this Hotel, it was great, the Check -in staff were super friendly and even the Bartenders where so attentive. I think it was just grumpy too spoiled tourists that wrote negative reviews. I would recommend the Royal Terrace Hotel to any of my Friends and Family and I hope to return there soon!!

Unique Quality: They had a fantastic garden in the back and a sun room to dine in. Also the food was great, especially the breakfast buffet in the morning.

More about Royal Terrace Hotel

stylish

by iaint about Royal Terrace Hotel

One of my business networking groups has lunched here a couple of times. The whole place was re-furbed a few years back, and looks great.

It is located right in the city centre, but Royal Terrace is off the beaten track, so its quiet and secluded.

We lunched in a private room. Service was great and the food excellent - I suspect we'll be going back.

A bonus is that you have "on street" metered parking right outside, and there have been plenty spaces both times I've visited. £4 for about 3.5 hours.

I've been a customer since I was about 16...long story. On our 1st visit I had a great risotto!

Anti-Climax

The Royal Terrace Hotel was perfectly situated near to Princes Street (a 5 minute walk) and close to some lovely restuarants. (Mamma Roma inparticularily)

The hotels entrance and reception area was beautiful with high ceilings and old original paintings. However after checking in things started to go downhill some what. Our room upon opening the door looked at first to be very spacious, with a very wide corridor, but once around the corner it was quite small.
The bathroom was situated half way down the corridor and at first glance looked ok. However the longer you spent in there the worse it became. The toilet roll holder was hanging off, there was mold around the extractor fan and during my first shower the water was yellow.

The hotel is still under going renovation, and could do with a good clean throughout. Nearly all the staff we spoke to apart from the receptionist could hardly speak a word of english.

What was suppose to be a romantic treat away, turned out to be just a another weekend. I didn't think it was value for money and i could not recommend it to anyone.

How good is TripAdvisor?

by TripAdvisor Member vancouver-jim

Insight Tours' brochure states the Royal Terrace Hotel is a First Class hotel. Other Ratings' Services list the hotel as anywhere from a 2 star hotel to a 5 star hotel. As we were coming off a supposedly hectic budget coach tour of the Baltic countries (COSMOS Tours - it turned out to be a wonderful First Class tour with great accommodations, wonderful dining, superb itinerary, and very comfortable coach), our Travel Agent thought we would appreciate two weeks of luxury and First Class accommodations for our requested tour of Ireland & Scotland - in April, we agreed with her and she stated Insight Tours was the company to use for luxurious touring.

The last city on the tour was Edinburgh, Scotland - we had to extend our stay there by two nights to make a flight connection, so I decided to check TripAdvisor to see what previous clients of the Royal Terrace hotel had to say. I found the negative reviews upsetting and told my travel agent about them - she replied that Insight Tours only use First Class accommodations and the Royal Terrace hotel had probably improved, otherwise Insight Tours would not be using the hotel. She mentioned that it was very expensive to book the two extra nights with Insight and she would use another company, although it would still be expensive (remember it is supposed to be a First Class hotel).

Despite her assurances, I emailed the Royal Terrace hotel and sent them copies of the reviews posted on TripAdvisor. The Revenue Manager stated that persons that post on websites such as TripAdvisor only want to complain. I told him I would be spending 4 nights at his hotel and I wanted to stay in the same room for all 4 nights and I wanted a good room, not like the rooms in the TripAdvisor reviews. He assured me I would be able to stay in the same room for all 4 nights and he would make sure we were booked into a newly renovated room.

Friday June 16: Our tour group arrived in Edinburgh in the late afternoon. All were thrilled with how beautiful Edinburgh is and most were disappointed they would only have the next afternoon as free time before they had to go home on the morning of the 18th.
We were assigned Room 215 but our suitcases were delivered to Room 330 - our key folder had Room 330 scratched out and replaced by Room 215. On entering the room 215, it was immediately obvious it was not a newly refurnished room - traditional' seemed to mean everything in the room was the exactly the same furniture, carpeting, drapes, bedspreads, paint, et cetera as when the townhouses had been converted to the hotel - it had never been replaced or refurbished. It might have been clean but it didn't seem it. It was a nice sized room with twin beds, pants press, electric kettle with coffee & tea packets, a TV, 2 bedside tables (although only one had a lamp), a desk with a chair & lamp. All the lighting was very dim.
The bathroom was well-lit. It had a large Jacuzzi tub and an affixed overhead showerhead. Unfortunately the tub had a big black hole where it was missing on of its jets, the shield over the pump intake was missing, and the plug was broken. On the positive side, it had a clothesline over the tub. The sink's vanity had grotty, incomplete caulking around it but shampoos and soaps were supplied. Turning on the sink's tap, without putting in the plug, was interesting as the water took five minutes to drain after the sink filled with water. During this time, disgusting bits of putrid solid matter were regurgitated into the sink from its J-pipe(?).
Room 215 has very old 'traditional' large windows which opened easily - there is a view of the hotel's nice back garden and its tinkling fountain. Apparently we were fortunate our windows opened easily, other group members told us they were afraid to try to open their windows to cool off the room because they feared the windows would break or fall off their hinges.

June 17: The next morning we went down for breakfast in what some TripAdvisor reviewers called the dungeon. They were correct when they stated it had no windows and it was in the basement, and it cannot seat many persons but I did not find it an unpleasant room (except it was quite warm, being next to the kitchen). The buffet consisted of the normal budget Scottish hotel breakfast food - toast, two types of Danish buns, cereals, scrambled eggs, ham, bacon - definitely not First Class dining. After breakfast, we went to Reception and asked to be moved to another room as 215 was unsanitary. The receptionist was polite and helpful. She found it curious that our original room of 330 had been changed to 215 despite 330 being empty. The porter moved our belongings to Room 330 while we were on the excellent city tour. The city tour showed us the hotel was in a decent location for walking to the sights. Yes, it is at least a 15 minutes walk to Princes Street but the Saint James Shopping Mall is on the way there. We returned to the hotel and Room 330, it was a refurbished room, and it even felt clean!!
June 18, 2005: Reception phoned us at 8:30 a.m. and asked if we could pop by later on and speak to them. At 9:30 a.m., Reception phoned again and explained they wanted us to move to another room, 315, because a family whom wanted 'interconnecting' rooms would be checking in during the afternoon - I understood their problem and agreed to move to 315. I went down to Reception and asked for the key to 315 so we could move our belongings before we went sightseeing. We were told that 315 would not be ready for at least 5 hours and that we should pack up our belongings and store them with Reception until that time - I stated we would be without a room despite having paid for one and their plan was unacceptable. At 10:30 a.m., I spoke to the Assistant Manager and asked why we couldn't use our room until 315 was available, then we would move our belongings to 315. The Assistant Manager stated that it was impossible because 315 still had people in the room. I asked her if check-out time was 11:00 a.m., she said it was. I told her that 315 should be vacant at 11:00 a.m., therefore the cleaning staff could work on it at that time - when it was clean, we would move into 315 and the cleaning staff could then clean 330 but my suggestion did not seem to make sense to her. I was becoming annoyed. I explained how my original concern had been about the hotel's unsanitary conditions and about being moved from room to room during our 4 night stay and it seemed my concerns were real. I asked how the hotel was going to compensate us for the many hassles we were experiencing and that a free dinner would not be remiss. She gave the impression that any compensation was unheard of. On our way up to room 330, we discovered that Room 315 was vacant and had already been cleaned - the alway polite receptionist ran up to us and informed us that alternate accommodations had been found for the family and that we could stay in 330.
Room 330 was our room until we checked out. We had great difficulty regulating the amount and the temperature of the water with the tub's new plumbing fixtures: after running for 15 seconds, the water flow would stop for 10 seconds, then start up again - the cycle kept repeating itself. We spoke to other clients on the third floor and discovered they were having the same problems with their tubs' plumbing - we did not mention this problem to the hotel staff for fear of being transferred to another room.
Yes, The Royal Terrace Hotel has a decent location and its back gardens are nice. The hotel's bar is just a small ordinary bar, not what I would expect in a First Class hotel. I would never recommend staying in any Royal Terrace Hotel room that has not been refurbished. Even the refurbished rooms I would not recommend until the plumbing problems have been fixed. If you expect a First Class hotel experience, for example, Marriott quality in dining, accommodations, and service - I cannot recommend staying in this hotel. I feel, by North American standards, this is a budget hotel with a good location - it is not a First Class hotel.
I wished I had believed TripAdvisor instead of the Travel Agent.

We'd go back

My husband and I spent three nights at the Royal Terrace Hotel recently and found the hotel to be above average. From reading previous reviews found at this site, we had second thoughts about even staying there. Our reservations, however, had been made and it wasn't feasible to change hotels because of the large crowds of people assembling in Edinburgh for Hogmanay.
Upon our arrival in Edinburgh (on a rainy day on December 30, 2004), we were whisked by taxi to the door of the hotel. We had to wait a few moments before entering because a wedding had just taken place there at the hotel and the wedding party was using the lobby and entrance for pictures. From that moment on, we saw people enjoying the facility. We were treated with courtesy and kindness. Everyone was always helpful and friendly.
Check-in time is not until 2 P.M. so when we arrived we were helped with our luggage but told that we'd have to wait a little while before we could get into a room. We were allowed to do the paperwork with checking in and received a room on the third floor as we'd asked. The clerk then gave us directions where we could wait before getting into our room. We chose instead to use the time to walk down the hill and see some of the city. The hotel was very close to the Edinburgh Playhouse where we had tickets to see "Mamma Mia" for that first evening. That worked very well for us. We were also very close to the "Omni" where we ate several meals and saw a movie on a cold wet night.
Our room at the hotel was very nice and had many extras that I'd not expected. We especially enjoyed the tea service and heated towel bars. We had a large double bed with a nice coverlet and drapes to match. An ironing board/iron was helpful and there was a small sitting area. The pool and exercise area looked quite nice but closed at 8 P.M. so we didn't manage to use it since we were gone so much. The breakfast area was clean and the food was adequate. We had a good time in Edinburgh and would use this hotel again if we were to return.
Sandy and Dean from Illinois

Went from bad to fantastic

We recently visited this hotel for 2 nights. I rang to check the booking and asked to be upgraded to a suite as it was a special occasion. We had paid quite a lot for the hotel and were excited when we arrived. The room was on the ground floor (G5) and was awful. It was big and had a seperate lounge but the paint was peeling, tiles had come off in the bathroom, the carpets were old and it was very dated. We complained at reception and we were told nothing could be done till the next day. The next day we were told the only room we could change to was another suite but we had to pay another upgrade of 40. We were moved to the Alberour suite (the honeymoon room) in the Ambassodor wing and it was stunning. If you see on the internet there is a picture of a room with a bathroom in the middle, that was the room we stayed in and it was luxurious, it was absolutely fantastic. We were so glad that we changed rooms.
Meals - the breakfast wasn't brilliant but was okay. we also had our evening meals there and they were very nice.
If you are going to stay at this hotel I would recommend asking for a room on the third floor (the renovated part) or treat yourself and stay in the honeymoon suite. If you do this you will not be disappointed....

Very good!

by TripAdvisor Member tinka14

I was a bit apprehensive about this hotel judging by some of the previous reports.I did send the hotel an email asking for a room on the refurbished 3rd floor( which was not acknowledged) the day before our stay....but I not need have worried.We stayed in the 2nd floor in room 223 which overlooked the terraced gardens so the room was quiet.The room was traditionally decorated with a canopied bed and a jacuzzi bath in the bathroom, if it wasn't refurbished, it was still very nice and good value for money at £38 a night each including a cooked breakfast.All the staff we encountered were very pleasant and they even stored our luggage after we checked out so that we could explore more of Edinburgh.The hotel was well situated, 5 minutes from the Omni cinema/restaurant complex with a whole host of other restaurants and bars nearby and about another 5 minutes on to Princes St.I was impressed and I would use this hotel again.

GIVEN DINGY BASEMENT ROOM.

by TripAdvisor Member jeanham

was given a dingy basement room with a double bed and two single beds cramped in although had requested a twin. The door was sticking and needed a hefty push to open and the room was dirty, cables exposed and thick dust on t.v. outside the window was a tiny back yard which was strewn with rubbish e.g. empty yoghurt pots and cigarette butts. On complaining to the manager she was rude and unhelpful and we ended up in a different hotel. as this was a present for myself and my daughter to mark our birthdays we feel rather cheated as this horrible hotel ruined our weekend.

Comments