Royal Terrace Hotel

See Amenities
iaint's Profile Photo

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 6, 2010

I stayed a night there in December 10. I got an excellent deal at £75 plus breakfast. That was a double room, single occupancy.

I knew the place already as (see restaurant tips) I eat there twice a month. It is 4 star and stylish, in a Georgian period building in one of the most exclusive addresses in the city. Tremendously good value - same price as the 3 star & functional Holiday Inn Express round the corner.

The website will give you an idea of how the rooms look. Wifi is free and works well in the rooms. It has a quiet, cosy bar. Breakfast was £10 for the full Scottish. Nothing wrong with it, but more 3 star than 4. But then the price is not high either. I think the 4 star Holiday Inn wants £15 for the same thing. You get what you pay for.

The area is quiet. Public gardens in front, and private ones at the back. But you are only 10 minutes walk to Princes St. You have a good range of restaurants (Italian, Nepalese, Indian, Thai) 5 minutes away on Leith St, and any number of pubs. Even more on Broughton St just 2 minutes further on.

UPDATE!

I had to stay a 2nd night - snowed in. The other room was just as good as the 1st.

UPDATE 2 !

I'm here for the 3rd night in 10 days. I got invited to the hotel's annual Christmas party for "valued" customers! I've just spent a fun hour in the gym, sauna & steam room. Very nice, and quiet. Actually, I was the only person there. Well, it was an artist's date during working hours (he he).

Unique Quality: Location is fabulous. Style really cool. Value for money - excellent.

Directions: From the east end of Princes St go down Leith St. Turn right at the second roundabout, and Royal Terrace is first right (just 20m after the roundabout).

eriste's Profile Photo

A hotel with key card problems

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 18, 2007

Enclosed is description of my experiences at Royal Terrace Hotel 17-24.6.2007

I arrived at Sunday. On Monday the key card stopped working and it had to be reloaded. It worked until Tuesday. On Tuesday the key card had to be reloaded again. On Wednesday it worked but on Thursday again reload. On Friday 6 p.m. again the key card did not work. And then also the key card machine at the re-ception did not work for several hours. So I was without a working key to my room and could get in to the room twice only with the staff using master key. At 10 p.m. I got a new key card, which worked 2-3 times. Then again on Saturday it did not work and once more I got a new key card, which also worked about 2-3 times without problems. I decided to try if it is really impossible to get in with the key card. 18 attempts and it was successful. So I did not ask for relo-ad anymore. After that always at least 4-5 attempts and I could get to my room. On Sunday morning I left the hotel.

I have been in about 200 hotels outside Finland and this was the second time with serious problems with the key card. In Neptun Romania year 2004 the key card was changed three times during one week. This was worse than that.

Except these horrible problems with the key card everything else was OK. The staff was friendly and helpful all the time. Breakfast was good. House keeping worked. The room was OK. The location near the Centrum is good.

Sandye3's Profile Photo

Fun Hotel in Edinburgh

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 10, 2004

At first I was a little skeptical about staying at this hotel because I read so many not so nice reviews. But I had the best experience there. First I arrived like 5 hours before check-in but the staff was so nice they let me check in early. And it was also their busiest time of year durning the festival, but everone was super fast to attend to your needs. My room was just a standard one bedroom but I could tell it had been renovated and was great!! Everything was spotless. I don't understand why some people had anything negative to say about this Hotel, it was great, the Check -in staff were super friendly and even the Bartenders where so attentive. I think it was just grumpy too spoiled tourists that wrote negative reviews. I would recommend the Royal Terrace Hotel to any of my Friends and Family and I hope to return there soon!!

Unique Quality: They had a fantastic garden in the back and a sun room to dine in. Also the food was great, especially the breakfast buffet in the morning.

Nearby Royal Terrace Hotel

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Edinburgh Travel Forum

Need advice about Edinburgh, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Edinburgh and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Edinburgh hotel reviews