Scotsman Hotel

Agoda.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

HOT OFF THE PRESS

once the home of the Scotsman newspaper this hotel has been lovingly restored and tastefully converted, the bar is an interesting mixture of styles and the marble staircases down to the toilets are marvels of OTT splendour

whisky fans will like it here, there are over 300 brands to choose from

now l must be honest, we didnt actually stay here, just called into the bar for drinks before starting our tour [we have it on good authourity that the hot chocolate verges on the orgasmic]
    but if l ever wanted to part with lots of money to stay in a quality hotel in the centre of Edinburgh, this would be the one ld choose
    its stunning

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Plush

The Scotsman hotel is not the kind of place i usually be able to stay at, but thanks to my good travel buddy Scott, i got a £200 room for £60. I've never stayed in a 5 star hotel before (well, maybe 1 or 2) so this was a special treat, king size bed, dvd and cd player, plush bathroom, mini bar, views of princes street. superb! cheers scotty!

• The Scotsman Hotel

£175-£950 UK

Unique Quality: This new hotel used to be the offices of 'The Scotsman' newspaper. It is a stunning building with equally stunning views. Due to its central location you are right in the middle of the action.

More about Scotsman Hotel

Well, Edinburgh has...

by mellow-mark

Well, Edinburgh has accommodation for every budget from hostels to high class hotels. If you are a backpacker on a budget, try the A1 Playfair House Hostel which has a great location, only a short walk from the station and Princes Street. If somebody else is paying, then the new Scotsman hotel on North Bridge is very nice indeed.

More info on hostels can be found at this guide to Edinburgh and Scotland, while a guide to some recommended hotels can be found at this list of Hotels in Edinburgh.

Plenty of pubs in Edinburgh...

by littlebush

Plenty of pubs in Edinburgh and the good thing is the late licence - unlike its counterpart capital city south of the border! Grassmarket is a strip with a few bars next to eachother.
Plenty of clubs too!
pubs to mention - sportstars sports bar on market street, below the scotsman hotel, take the stairs off north bridge.
the wetherspoons pub on george street, always packed.

Fantastic hotel with 5 star staff!

I've just spent two nights at the Scotsman hotel and I loved it. My room was gorgeous, wood panelled and sumptuous with a wonderful view of the city - made even better by gently falling snow! In addition to the marvellous view there was an in-room safe, complimentary - monogrammed - bathrobe and slippers, a diffuser for the hair drier, fresh milk for tea and coffee and towels the size of small sails. The bed was fantastically comfy with soft down duvet and pillows. The staff were kindness personified and couldn't have done more to make a woman travelling alone feel more cared for.
Criticisms? Very few - the picture on my TV was a weird pink hue, £17.50 for breakfast is a bit steep and I agree with a previous reviewer that life is indeed too short to wait for the lift! Otherwise, an excellent stay in a hotel so atmospheric you can almost smell the ink and hear the printing presses - I kept expecting to see the ghosts of previous editors drifting down the candlelit Sicilian marble stairs!

5 star

We stayed at The Scotsman in July 04 just for one night unfortunately. Got good price on lastminute.com. Well worth the money, fantastic staff, beautiful room (but no air-con) , corner windows with views of the bridges and Princes Street, great Scottish breakfast (with a difference). Would definately recommend it to anyone.

Stifling

I stayed in a Deluxe room and found it large and comfortable. But it was very hot, despite the weather being quite chill. The heat made it difficult to sleep and I think the room must have been unbearable in summer. I was told only some of the rooms had air-conditioning, which is not what I expect in a five star hotel. Also, the lifts are small and slow.

On the plus side, the location is good and the pool made it worthwhile.

Not what it should be

by TripAdvisor Member kingsroadgal

We stayed at the Balmoral last year in a suite, and decided to try the Scotsman this year, because of the terrible service at the Balmoral (at quite a high price). I'm not sure the Scotsman was an improvement. The rooms vary tremendously, depending on floor, and I would suggest calling the hotel to discuss your choice. The lower floors have are to be avoided, as they certainly don't have the ambience of the rest of the hotel. The first suite we were shown, was large, but only had one oddly shaped window closely overlooking the train station. It did not appear to have been thoroughly cleaned. We asked to see another room, and fortunately, as it was Festival time, there was something available. We were put one floor up, and the hallway was much more appearling. The room, however, was still fairly short on windows, and was much smaller. For the four of us, it was a tight fit. The carpet was quite dirty, and the curtains were tattered. The price for each of these suites was over $900, so we were a little surprised at the many failings of the rooms. The staff, however, was very nice. Would I stay here again? Not unless I knew my room location in advance. The Balmoral suites offer better value, and space. They also have an abundance of windows (which makes them somewhat noisy). I guess I would have to say I am still looking for the perfect hotel in Edinburgh.

A terrible stay

My wife and I stayed in this hotel in June and I will say this with all honesty: It is by far the worst 5 star hotel I've ever came across.
Where do I start? As other reviewers stated, the heat in the small overpriced room we had was unbearable. The 'full Scottish breakfast' was a joke. One tiny vegetarian sausage, a teaspoon of scrambled egg and three mushrooms. The smallest jug of milk you can imagine (maybe 4-5 teaspoonsful in it) was all we had for our coffee and two bowls of cereal. We had to phone down and ask for more and were given a small carton that had been already opened!
The food in their overpriced Brasserie was bland and the service terrible. We got the salad we ordered with our sweet! Oh yes, and our window, that didn't open, had lovely views of...a roof covered in pigeon dirt!
The only positive thing I can say about this hotel is that the staff were pleasant, especially the man at the front door.
This should definitely not be a 5 star hotel. I complained to the hotel afterwards and no one was really interested.
Due to their location they will always get custom but believe me, avoid this hotel if you can.

by aquilaqb

Hello

I'll be visiting Edinburg (from Canada) and I would like to go to a good artist material shop preferably near the center of town...

The kind of shop where a professional painter would go to buy his material (aquarelle, oil paint, siccatif etc) not the kind where grand'mama goes to pick her scrapbook glue kind of things :)

looking forward to my visit in december, hope it's no too rainny I am spending Xmas there

a+

Re: Seeking an artist material shop (painters' paint not bricolage stuff) in Edinburg

by jcourtnellsmith

There are several art shops/galleries in Dundas Street ( just off Princes Street )

by Beausoleil

Why don't you post some of your paintings of places you've visited in lieu of photos? That would be fun. (Scan them as .JPG files and then post them.)

by aquilaqb

thanks I'll check out Dundas street... any shop name in particular?

As for pintings... These days I work in Russian miniature technique (Fedoskino) I study with a master who was thaught and worked at the factory. I also do paintings on marouflage in a medieaval style and my subjects are more taken from nature than cities... particularly indigenous plants like the trille or critters like tamia or frogs... My souvenirs from cities are in my paint I bought while travelling as oposed to the subject I am painting :)

by maple23

Millers Graphics - http://www.millers-graphics.co.uk/. They used to be on Dundas Street with another on South Bridge (nr the Scotsman Hotel).

Also, Greyfriars Art Supplies, opposite Greyfriars Bobby - http://www.citikey.com/business/10075081?category=10009&city=Edinburgh¤t=42&total=1099

Comments