St. Christopher's Inn

Tags

Backpacking Budget Travel Study Abroad
See Amenities
dhina's Profile Photo

Edinburgh hostel with the best location

by written on August 4, 2008

I had a late flight from London to Edinburgh (and it was delayed too). I was lucky that I have booked a room in St Christopher's Hostel which located close to the airport bus stop. It was my first visit to Edinburgh but I could find the hostel easily. Apparently it was not only my luck that night, I booked a dorm room and turned out that I stayed in that room alone :-)

Unique Quality: Its location :-)

krissyM's Profile Photo

Make sure you upgrade

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 25, 2008

I stayed here for one night while enroute on a Highland tour. My suggestion is make sure you pay the couple of extra pounds to get a smaller room. I booked a 14 person room. The beds were saggy and my bed was located right next to the bathroom. The door had a pane of glass in it and the light didn't go off in the bathroom. People were also walking by all night keeping me awake.

The pros of this hostel is that it is close to all the major tourist attractions. It is also right across the street from the bus station that takes you to the airport. Inside the hostel there is a bar and restaurant that is quite nice. Breakfast is included in the price.

Very basic but GREAT location

by written on October 12, 2006

Older hostel, moderately comfortable beds, great staff. The facility itself was only average, but the location made up for that and them some. If you want something a bit closer to the Royal Mile, go to one of the hostels up the hill. If you're like me and would rather drop off your heavy bags very close to the train station, bus, and airport shuttle stops and walk up the hill without carrying all that extra weight, St. Christopher's is perfect!

I was a young female traveling alone (May 2006), I stayed in one of the co-ed 10 bed dorms. While the facility was a bit older, it was very clean. The whole staff was very helpful. Overall, it wasn't the best hostel I've stayed in, but still I'd recommend it based on price and location.

Unique Quality: Excellent location

Directions: Across the street from Waverly Station

Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

St. Christopher

by written on January 3, 2005

I stayed at St. Chris's because I had stayed at the one in London a few months earlier and had been pretty satisfied with it. I had actually heard better reviews about the Globetrotter's Inn, but the location of this hostel was the deciding factor-it's literally across the street from the train and bus station. The hostel itself isn't that impressive. It's very old and looks like it needs a good scrub down, but the beds were comfortable. We had a private ensuite room and the privacy was great, but the shower had very little pressure. The bar was always a happening place, of course, and it was nice to be able to order cheap meals there. The one thing that I wasn't crazy about was the common room. I actually thought it was really creepy, but that might have been because it was always so dark. The staff, though, were fantastic.

Directions: Right across the street from the train station and around the corner from the airport bus drop-off.

MDH's Profile Photo

A good Edinburgh hostel

by written on May 20, 2003

The St. Christopher's was a great place to stay at. Of all the hostels I've stayed at in my life, this had to be the cleanest and most comfortable. Located on the hill right below the Royal Mile and very close to both the Old and New Towns, the hostel provides comfortable beds, its own bar (Belushi's), pub/restaurant, and internet station. The staff was also very helpful and friendly.

Unique Quality: Like any hostel, it attracts a large international crowd. While I was there, the two nationalities that seemed dominant were the Americans and Australians. Also, the rooms have their own bathrooms and showers included. Overall, this is a very good and safe place to stay at, and if you're on a budget, I highly recommend it.

Directions: Located right where near Waverley Station, which seperates Old and New Towns, located directly above Belushi's Bar.

cjg1's Profile Photo

A wonderful cheap Hostel

by written on February 28, 2003

I stayed here for 4 nights. It was clean. Quiet, I was on the 4th floor (walkup). I has facilities down stairs in a pub and 2 bars if you want. Centrally located so you can walk most places you want to go.

Unique Quality: This was my first dorm style shared hostel experience. I would definately go back again.

Directions: Across Market Street from Waverly Station.

ciaramalone's Profile Photo

St Christopher’s Inn

by written on August 24, 2002

£20 b&b

Unique Quality: Just a few hundred yards from the mainline station overlooking the famous and elegant Princes Street and a stone’s throw from Edinburgh Castle and nearby museums and art galleries

Nearby St. Christopher's Inn

• Bar / Lounge
  • Beverage Selection
  • Free High Speed Internet

Edinburgh Travel Forum

Need advice about Edinburgh, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Edinburgh and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Edinburgh hotel reviews