Tailors Hall Hotel Edinburgh

arnesk's Profile Photo

Like a student-campus

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 15, 2006

I stayed here one night in feb-06 with some friends, and the place reminded me of a student campus. The room was OK, no luxurary, but what you could expect.

But you could hear the bass from the partying downstairs. I was living at the 3rd floor, so I wasn't too bothered, but I could still hear it.

Downstairs, connected to the hotel, was the bar Three Sisters, and it looked like one of the most popular bars for people around 20 years.

When I came to check into the hotel, I had to pass two guards and a totally drunk girl that wanted to say hello to me.

The breakfast was also OK, and thanks to a green light under the sofa, the breakfastroom was also quite characteristic and almost disco-like.

Stay here if you want something out of the ordinary, and if you would like a partying place.

The location is also very good, in the middle of the old town.

The bathroom was not the best I have been to, they didn't even have properly curtains. But then again, it was more like a student campus.

Unique Quality: A real party-place next to the receipton.

Directions: A paralell street to the main street in the Royal Mile - High Street.

Kaspian's Profile Photo

Tailors Hall Hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 12, 2005

I should be happy that I found anything at all during the month of August in Edinburgh! This was the most expensive stop on our entire trip to the UK. But I got the feeling that I was paying for location, not accommodation. I drew back the curtains in our tiny room and was greeted with a view of the front tire of a car. (Our third-floor window literally looked out into a parking lot at ground level. I don't know how you can go up three floors in an elevator and still be at ground-level; the back of the hotel must be built into the side of a hill.) The other window looked out into a brick wall. The bathroom was large, at least the same size as the bedroom, and it was clean.
The Tailor's Hall is mostly occupied by young people because it's right above a very popular Edinburgh nightspot called "The Three Sisters Pub" (named after the three pubs you can find inside the hotel). I had read that occupants had a hard time falling asleep because of the rowdy noise from the bars below, but we had absolutely no problem. Our room was dead quiet.
The front desk staff was friendly and courteous. Do not miss the included Scottish buffet breakfast. Lots to choose from and very yummy! For dinner one night we had fish and chips from the bar, and it was quite good.
The Tailors Hall Hotel is a historic traditional brick townhouse hotel, built in 1621 for the Guild of Tailors. There is a cobbled courtyard in front of the hotel and during the summer months they host barbecues, discos, and themed events.
The bragging point of this place is definitely its location; right on the Cowgate in the old town and within easy walking distance of the Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle. I would stay here again.

Unique Quality: Good place for young people to party, within easy walking distance to everything in the old town, and a fantastic breakfast.

M.E.R.V's Profile Photo

Cowgate's leftovers!

by written on March 31, 2003

We stayed at the Tailor's Hall hotel at the Cowgate and when we first arrived it took us ages to find it. A week before there was a massive fire in this part of the Old Town where the hotel was and the middle portion of it was blocked off! At one point I was so worried I thought the hotel was burnt down as well! Haha...We approached a police man on the site who didnt seem to know nothing which added to our devastation, I REALLY thought I had to sleep on the streets that nite! It was hilarious! We made several detours and finally found it at the other corner. I wasn't really impressed that day having to carry ma bags around searching in vain for the hotel while it was drizzling!

Unique Quality: When we found the Tailor's Hall it was just a huge relief! The building is 400 years old, and the reason I chose to stay here was becos I was hoping to experience some paranormal activities, ahaha! I am merv the monkeyboy so I do stupid things okay? But there was none of that! Nevermind, I really did enjoy my stay here, the service is excellent, very clean and modern and defo worth the price!

Nearby Tailors Hall Hotel Edinburgh

Amenities at Tailors Hall Hotel Edinburgh

• Wheelchair Accessible
  • Bar / Lounge

Edinburgh Travel Forum

Need advice about Edinburgh, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Edinburgh and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Edinburgh hotel reviews