14 Eglinton Crescent, Edinburgh, EH12 5DD, United Kingdom
Expedia.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

More about The Victorian Town House

Beautiful stay!

by TripAdvisor Member CalaCake

This is the best b&b we have stayed in, Aileen is pure magic, makes you feel like you have known her forever. Room is lovely, extremely large, like a mini flat! And comes complete with whisky, Aero hot chocolate which is high priority for me and a chocolate bar everyday!
Aileen even let us miss breakfast and left fresh towels outside our room when we had horrendous hangovers from a wedding the night before.
Fantastic, don't stay anywhere else!

Absolutely WONDERFUL!!

by TripAdvisor Member Poolay

My husband and I enjoyed staying here immensely! It was by far the nicest, friendliest, CLEANEST, most spacious and comfortable accommodations during our 3+ week trip! Aileen is just one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. I want to go back just to visit with her! She pays attention to detail and is most helpful in giving advice about the sites and dining in Edinburgh. Cannot wait to go back!

Home from home

by TripAdvisor Member The_Wanderers13

Aileen & Kenny made us most welcome, the room was very comfortable, light and airy, very well equipped. Excellent breakfasts were supplied. Aileen was on hand at all times for any queries and supplying local information. Only 10 minutes walk to city centre, close to train station and local bus routes.
Great value for money. Ideal base for sight-seeing Edinburgh and the surrounding countryside.

Highly recommended for short and long stays.

A joy for ever

by TripAdvisor Member marinomau

Robert Louis Stevenson, who often visited this house to see his relatives that lived here, wrote “To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive”. If he’d stay at The Victorian Townhouse today he would change his mind.
I travelled hopefully to see Edimburgh and when I arrived at this B&B I felt an unexpected feeling, that doubled the pleasure of being in my favourite city (in my opinion the most beautiful of the world).
It was my sixth time in Edinburgh, but the first with my wife, so I wanted a very special place to stay: the Victorian Townhouse was really the gem I was looking for.
Aileen is a splendid host (as many other reviewers wrote), and makes you feel not just more than a guest or a friend, but really a living part of the house, which is quite charming, and retains all the atmosphere that its name contains: a real victorian townhouse that puts you in a novel of Dickens, but with all the style and the attention to the details that you can find in the best housekeeping magazines.
I stayed with my wife in the Caledonian Room, that was my personal Treasure Island: really huge, with an impressive marble fireplace, a tartan panel over the bed, a welcoming sofa where sip your herbal tea before going to bed, the most spacious and cleanest bathroom I have ever seen in my travels, enriched with antique prints on the walls.
The location is pretty good: just one minute and you admire St. Mary’s Cathedral, with its picturesque spires and the green that seems just landed from the countryside. Another couple of minutes and you are in William Street, where you will find shops and boutiques very very more interesting than the tourist traps of Princes Street and Royal Mile, places that you can reach anyway on foot (it takes about 7-10 lovely minutes of walk in a fashionable and elegant area of Edinburgh, the West End, or just one bus stop.
The address is convenient if you take the airlink bus from the airport: you drop off at the Haymarket Station stop, then you walk just 4 minutes and you reach 14, Eglinton Crescent. There are also direct buses to the Royal Yacht Britannia and the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
In the morning you can walk along the river of Leith and around the beautiful Dean Village, so you will be ready to appreciate the full breakfast, cooked and served with amazing grace.
In the breakfast room there is a fridge, so you can help yourself during the day and the night, for instance if you need a yoghurt to calm down the haggis in your stomach.
To stay at The Victorian Townhoyse and to know Aileen was for us such a memorable experience that we had almost tears in our eyes when we leaved after 5 wonderful days.
It’s not just a “home away from home”: it’s the home-you-dream-about-away-from-home.

A Scottish home from home!

by TripAdvisor Member Roseytraveller

Your search is over! No need to look any further because this B&B won't disappoint.

We wanted a place near the centre that offered a bit of 'home from home' and the personal touch you don't get from hotels.

Unfortunately Aileen did not have room on the first night of our stay so we stayed down the road. We paid £10 more for our stay there and I have to stay that if we'd stayed there for the full four nights, our stay wouldn't have been as enjoyable.

Immediately on passing through Aileen's door you know you're going to enjoy your stay. I'm very picky on cleanliness and Aileen's B&B cannot be faltered. In addition, it's cosy and offers great breakfasts. Yum. The only issue we had was still pushing ourselves out the door in the morning to explore Edinburgh rather than stay in the room!

It's about a ten minute walk from the bottom of Princes Street and 5 minute walk from Haymarket station. Places to eat near Haymarket aren't great, however, The Bean Scene is a cosy coffee house also offering simple eats. The Haymarket pub is also a good choice for a quick beer!

Most Friendly, Grand, Luxurious B&B in EDINBURGH

by TripAdvisor Member Mary36

I searched the internet for the best bed and breakfasts in Edinburgh and the description and name of the Victorian Town House Bed&Breakfast applied to me immediatley. We had reviewed hotels and apartments but I don,t like the formality and noise of hotels and I don,t like to cook or clean on holiday as I do that all year at home. I have stayed in B&B,s all over Scotland when touring the country but I have to say although I have never had a bad experience The Victorian Town House is without any doubt the absolute best I have ever stayed in. I arranged the booking for family to celebrate a surprise birthday and everything went to plan. I read all the trip advisor reviews and then contacted Aileen the owner and knew this was the best accommodation for us. Aileen is very friendly, helpful pleasant and nothing is any trouble, she made our stay perfect.
Each room is individually styled and decorated and is just how it looks on the offical website, clean fresh and the finest details taken care of, you will not find this in any hotel the attention to detail and thought makes this place a little gem. We had a brillant weekend thanks to our excellent accommodation, perfect hostess and excellent breakfasts cooked by Kenny, thankyou.

You will not be disappointed with your stay if you decide to book into the Victorian Town House in Edinburgh.

One point to remember do not eat at the Witchery we chose to book a meal in the Witchery because it was a special birthday we were celebrating but the Witchery is completely overrated! The menu was very limited, the portions poor, but more importantly the staff were unfriendly and service poor you are paying to say you ate there but Im afraid you will be so disappointed. Why is there a restaurant so close to Edinburgh Castle serving poor food and french waiters etc.. A traditional scottish restaurant with staff in traditional costume having taken lessons in hospitality from the staff at Victorian Town House would do fantastic the tourists would love it, the Witchery itself was lovely I wouldn,t change the building just the menu and staff-Gordon Ramsay help the Witchery!!

Thank you so much Aileen we will stay with you again if you will have us I know you will have many many more happy satisfied travellers, thankyou for making our stay special.

Best Wishes Aileen and Kenny,
from Margaret,Gerald, Ann, Betty,
Alison, Janet and Michael

Absolutely fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member mandeville-travels

This place is an absolute gem. The accommodation is in the garden flat of a terrace house. The rooms are spacious, beautifully furnished and well supplied with tea,coffee, chocolate biscuits, hot chocolate and a complimentary whisky. Toiletries provided are excellent. There is also a fridge in the guests' breakfast room where you can get fresh milk for tea (not UHT) and filtered water. The breakfast included fresh fruit, cereals and porridge as well as beautifully cooked eggs and the full Scottish breakfast. No need for lunch after one of these breakfasts. The owner, Aileen, makes you feel completely at home and is happy to help in any way possible. Aileen only has 3 rooms, so book early because this is a guest house not to be missed.

A warm welcome awaits you!

by TripAdvisor Member shearerfan

A beautifully presented and immaculately kept guesthouse with 3 spacious twin/double rooms. Aileen the owner has such a warm and humerous personality that we felt instantly welcome (the chocolates and whisky in the room also helped!). Situated in a quiet and regal crescent a short (10-15 mins) walk from Princes St., you are assured of a restful stay and lovely breakfast. I am already planning my next trip to Edinburgh, so please don't book all the rooms!! Jan (and Helen)

Fantastic B&B

by TripAdvisor Member bigshiney

We had a lovely stay at the Victorian Townhouse. The rooms are immaculately presented, and we received a very warm welcome from the owner. Breakfast was excellent both in variety and taste. The Townhouse is about 10 minutes from the centre of Edinburgh, but just far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle of the city.

A really enjoyable stay.

Romantic, relaxing stay!

by TripAdvisor Member lejohnson

My husband and I stayed at the Victorian Town House for one night (January 3, 2008) after reading great reviews on Tripadvisor.com. From booking the room via email, to receiving us upon arrival, Aileen was a great host! We were very tired from a stressful visit to Paris, and our night in the Caledonian Room was just what we needed to unwind. We were greeted with whiskey and chocolates, and the room was so cozy, warm, and Christmasy (with tinsel and lights decorating the fireplace in the bedroom), that we felt instantly at home. Aileen's living room is spectacular (the Christmas tree was a nice treat), and is just how I pictured a Victorian town home to be. The breakfast was delicious (choice of continental or hot, Scottish breakfast and wide variety of juices, coffee, tea, etc). Our only regret is that we couldn't stay longer!

If we return to Edinburgh we will definitely stay at the Victorian town house again! Thanks for a lovely stay.

Comments