Travelodege Learmonth Edinburgh

18-20 Learmonth Terrace, (formerly Ramada), Edinburgh, Scotland EH4 1PW, United Kingdom
Travelodge Edinburgh Learmonth

Floral clock at Princes Street GardensFloral clock at Princes Street Gardens

Overnight Train - London to Edinburgh

by Curioustravels

Hi,
Just wondering if you have taken the overnight sleeper from London to Edinburgh what your views on this are?

Thanks

by K_V_B

I have taken the scotrail sleeper. However my trip was from Fort William to London. The train was quite good, best beds I've ever had in a night train. Scotrail has a very good deal called "bargain berths" which you need to book in advance, but which is quite a steal (we paid 39 pounds pp). I found out that the new batch of tickets always gets entered in to the system on Friday, so the best moment to book is on a Friday, around lunchtime, about three months in advance...
However I think that, while the sleeper is a great way to travel to the Highlands, it makes less sense for London - Edinburgh, as this is only about 4 hours during the daytime.

by IndianPacific

Depends on what you compare with. British sleepers are no doubt much narrower than European Continental ones, which makes the corridors extremely narrow and the beds rather short.

by Curioustravels

good points and views - many thanks.
£39 is a bargain

by hawkhead

Not really a bargain when you consider that I did a random check on a date mid-week in November and the fare is £18.25 and it only takes four hours.

by KakapoTheParrot

My only attempts to book this failed because it was fully booked. When as asked about how popular it was I was told each train was fully booked within a very short of the seats being made available - as mentioned earlier, about 3 months in advance.

It's often made me wonder why there aren't more of them! I know Britain isn;t that big a place but clearly on the longer routes there's a good demand.

by hawkhead

Assume, Kakapo, you're talking about the sleepers. I imagine there aren't more of them 'cos if you can reach Edinburgh in 4 hours, why go overnight on a sleeper. However, there might be a case for the route Inverness or Fort William to London but it may not have the volume required to make it economically viable.

by K_V_B

It's true that UK rolling stock is a bit narrower than continental, and this does affect the sleepers too. However, I am 1m85, and I had no trouble at all. As I already: The best beds of any night train I was ever on, and certainly long enough (1m90). What was very narrow though was the corridor. I could touch both sides simultaneously with my shoulders...
If you have a very big suitcase it could be problematic, and the sleeping cars didn't have the typical luggage area above the corridor continental sleepers have. However we wer fine.
Booking is indeed sometimes a problem, as they book out quickly, especialy the cheap tickets. But try several times on a friday, when they load the new batch. Or call. I travelled in Juli, the hight of the tourist season, and managed to get the cheapest possible tickets anyway.

by nikkidish

This may not be what you were looking for, but I highly recommend going during the day...I think the London to Edinburgh ride is beautiful. I hate going to Edinburgh any other way because I love the views afforded by the train. You usually stop in places like York and Newcastle...you can see the Angel of the North from the train. Okay...I'll stop going on now! :)

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

Ian Rankin's Rebus Mysteries

by uglyscot

I enjoy reading and hjnthoroughly enjoy the Inspector Rebus Mysteries set in south Edinburgh. I believe it is possible to go on Rebus tours though have not investigated them yet.
I have however had the Police Station where Rebus 'works', and the terrace houses like those where he 'lives', as well as the general neighbourhood described in the novels, pointed out to me.
So as a bonus to Rebus fans, a tour, guided or not, is well worth doing Photo One: St Leonard's Police Station
Photo Two: terraces in Meadowbank area
Photo Three: The Pleasance
Photo Four: Salisbury Crags, site of one of the murders

St Giles' Cathedral

by Gypsystravels

St. Giles' is the High Kirk of Edinburgh and dates from 1120. It is central to the turbulent history of both Edinburgh and Scotland. This beautiful building is still visited by royalty and is notable for its fine stained glass, magnificent organ and exquisite Thistle Chapel.

hogmany

by dotshand

new year is a big thing in scotland, and in edinburgh we celebrate it with a big street party in the city centre. when the bells chime at midnight , you will have your hand shook and kissed, even by harmless drunks. it is traditional to first foot someone, you go to a friends house and be the first person to enter their house in the new year, usually bringing a gift, a long time ago this used to be a piece of coal, but now usually some shortbread, which is a rich buttery biscuit, or some blackbun, a moist rich fruitcake or some whiskey.

Jedburg

by CandS

We stopped over night in Jedburg on our way to Edinburgh... It's a gorgeous little town not too far south of Edinburgh and much cheaper and easier to visit. :) This view was from the window of our B&B room... :)

EXPLORE

by hevbell

Explore some of the back streets and little closes of the old town. This is Ramsey Gardens, just off Ramsey Lane which leads from the top of the Royal Mile down to the Mound. One way to see some of the closes etc is to take one of the nightime walking tours such as the Witchery walk. I went on that a few years ago with all my college mates and it was good fun. Beware of people jumping out at you and throwing water at you though!!

Comments