24 Eglington Crescent, Edinburgh, EH12 5BY, United Kingdom
Orbitz.com Travelocity CheapTickets.com

More about Edinburgh

The Abbey ruins from the gardenThe Abbey ruins from the garden

Greyfriars Bobby's display: Museum of EdinburghGreyfriars Bobby's display: Museum of Edinburgh

Princess StreetPrincess Street

The River Esk at MusselburghThe River Esk at Musselburgh

New Years Eve Party

by bivizzz

Hello, Guys,

I'm planning to stay in Edinburgh for Dec, 31 - Jan, 4 with my friends and I would like to visit some good party. I don't know how you are used to celebrate such event there and I can hardly find some info about the events on the web. So, I'd like to ask you to share your ideas about what to do on New Years Eve in Edinburgh.

by doodybee

i think edingburgh usually ends uo being one big street party at "hogmanay" - new years eve-
if you haven't booked accommodation already - you may be pushing it to find some - its booked up pretty early --

hope you sort it and have fun
hogmanay is the big celebration in scotland

by hawkhead

Also, for the Hogmanay Party in central Edinburgh it is ticket only but you might be still able to book online. Other than that, there are lots of events going on. Try googling "hogmanay edinburgh" Or there will be festivities at individual restaurants/pubs, etc. For accommodation, you need to book now!

by Suet

http://www.edinburghshogmanay.org/ this might inform you more it is the biggest street party in the world! Don't miss it!

by bivizzz

Thanks for very helpful info. My problem was that I didn't know it is called Hogmanay in Scotland. How does it look like - the city center is closed and you can by a ticket to enter? Also, do they serve alcohol on streets or it's better to book a table in the pub and then join people in the streets?
P.S. I rented apartments already, so it isn't a problem.

by hawkhead

Go to the website given in the previous post and you should be given all info re tickets and so on. If your accommodation is within the limits of the "ticket only", then you should be given a pass. Never been to Edinburgh on Hogmanay, either before the days of the big party or since - wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!! There are other free events going on, especially in Holyrood Park.

by clivedinburgh

Most bars and clubs in the central area will be ticket only on the 31st but I know that Le Monde used to be first come first served. They also allowed you to go outside at midnight to see the fireworks.

Passes for the street party are easy to get hold of, even on the day but I never saw the attraction in spending several hours outdoors on Hogmonay when there's plenty of warm pubs and clubs about. Try looking closer to the date on gumtree at the link below.

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

Appreciate the surroundings

by HispanicYob

My favorite thing about Edinburgh would have to be the beautiful architecture of the city. My friend's mother described it as Scotland's "pretty" city because of this. From the extravagant Balmoral Hotel to St. Giles church to Edinburgh Castle itself, it's definitely a city for eye candy. I'll always remember Edinburgh for it's busy hustle-and-bustle. And I'll always remember visiting Edinburgh Castle. The true highlight of visiting this city.

Books & Movies

by Dabs

I'm always overly ambitious when it comes to reading up on a location, in addition to scouring several different guidebooks, I also like to read both fiction and nonfiction set in the location I'm going to. My reading list for this trip wasn't overly ambitious, I wanted to read a book on Mary Queen of Scots and reread "The Strange Case of Dr. Jeykll & Mr. Hyde", the classic tale by Robert Louis Stevenson, a native son of Scotland and based on the real life Deacon Brodie. Well, I plowed through the 800+ pages of the Margaret George historical fiction account of Mary Queen of Scots, got a really bad head cold and then just ran out of time!

I did manage to squeeze in a couple of Scotland based films, the heartwarming "Greyfriars Bobby", a Disney movie from the 1960s based on the true story of the Skye Terrier named Bobby and "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", not one I'd recommend.

The two blockbuster films set in Scotland are, of course, "Braveheart" and "Rob Roy", I've seen both and although they take a few historical liberties, they are well worth watching.

They arrange really great one...

by Kaitlin

They arrange really great one day (or more)tours to the Highlands, Stirling Castle etc. Take any of those and you´ll see the countryside.

It´s so beautiful. You can almost hear someone playing the bagpipe in the fog rising from the highlands...

North Berwick

by leffe3

Half an hour's train journey from Edinburgh along the southern shoreline of the Firth of Forth is the fishing village of North Berwick & Tantallon Castle.
(I have now built a separate page for this)

Up near the castle, we...

by bluefelt

Up near the castle, we stumbled into an old library where the woman who worked there looked up my geneaology. Turns out I'm not immediately Scottish. I'm Nordic...cool. Not Scottish, but it was free.

There are antique stores all over the city. I thought they were incredibly cheap. In America, if anything is past 40 years old, it becomes this incredibly expensive item and they hike up prices. Some of my old clothing from the 80's is already cool again. Ed. has an amazing amount of vintage clothing and furniture, but alas, it didn't fit into my suitcase. Go there for doorknobs and trinkets. There's a great place right next to the Art College.

This is a picture inside Mary King's Close, an old street from centuries ago that was blocked off to avoid the spread of the Black Death or Plague...lovely. I went on one of the many tours (Mercat Tours) and had a really great guide who told us all the gross history and fascinating facts about life in those times. This particular room is said to be haunted by a little girl. People are allowed to bring her things and leave them in the room. I think the things are scary enough!

Comments