Travelodge Edinburgh West End

69 Belford Rd, (formerly Menzies Belford Hotel), Edinburgh, Scotland EH4 3DG, United Kingdom

Britannia Edinburgh Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 31% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• stefano99's Profile Photo

Comfortable Westend hotel

The hotel is classed as 4-star and the rooms are comfortable with tv and bathrooms. The breakfast is buffet and the selection is of good quality, so you probably won't want lunch :).

Book on-line for a great deal:
    Price: £37.50 inclusive of full English breakfast or £47.50 inclusive of dinner and full English breakfast

At the check-in desk the published room rate is £175 per night, not including breakfast!

Directions: West end side

• Liz10052's Profile Photo

Travelodge Edinburgh Central

49.99 GBP per room, per night.

Unique Quality: The location was great, they have a free car park in the back (but it fills up pretty fast - I recommend if you have a car, to park and leave it there, and use public transportation or your feet!) The room was clean and comfortable, and exactly what we needed for a [cheap] stay in Edinburgh.

Directions: This hotel is on St Mary's St., just off the Royal Mile. A great location, and considering the price of the hotels that are actually on the Royal Mile, this was a deal.

More about Travelodge Edinburgh West End

Excellent stay at the Menzies Belford.

by TripAdvisor Member CumbrianUK

The Menzies Belford is perfectly situated for the centre of Edinburgh. A ten minute (uphill) walk to the West End of Princes Street, and in a beautiful and quiet location by the Water of Leith. The road passing the hotel is now no longer a through-route to the city, so is probably much quieter than previous reviewers suggest. (but may also play havoc with sat' nav systems and render less than very recent road maps of Edinburgh obselete.

The room offered was a smoking room, but changed with no fuss by reception for a non smoking room. Room was tastefully decorated, and very clean, with good tea and coffee making facilities. Nice bathroom. Only gripe was no airconditioning, resulting in a terribly stuffy room. A fan was provided however, and I note that the windows could be opened on further instruction from hotel staff!

The staff were all, without exception, friendly and helpful. They helped get a taxi which arrived within minutes of request.

The breakfast lounge was large and airy, with a lovely leafy outlook. Great breakfast, exceptional by British hotel standards. A large choice of Scottish breakfast items (Haggis!) as well as cold meats, cereals, fruit, and so on.

The carpark was a bonus in a city like Edinburgh where parking cannot be taken for granted!

Would definitely choose to stay here again.

Dean Gallery

by stefano99

If you happen to be staying at the Menzies Belford Hotel then the Dean Gallery is located across the road.

The gallery has some interesting works by Eduardo Paolozzi, one of Scotlands great artists (Italian parents).

Admission: Free
Open: 10am - 5pm

Free bus service runs between the Gallerys.

Room location is critical!!!

by TripAdvisor Member marimcd

The Menzies Belford is located on the fringes of the city centre. It requires at least a 10-15 minute walk to arrive at the prime locations of the city centre. The hotel itself is nice and newly remodeled, but MAKE SURE you are not assigned a room in the front of the hotel. It was the nosiest room I have ever had in my entire life. Tour buses were pulling into the driveway at all times of the night, and the only air circulation in the room is achieved by opening the window. I think I could touch the top of the buses if I reached out the window, and if I shut the window we nearly suffocated. We were completely unable to watch tv at anytime of the day or night due to the street noise. People would stand outside the front of the hotel and smoke which immediately drifted right into our room. The hotel really should not rent these rooms to guests. The breakfast was average, but the staff was very courteous.

Great Hotel - Wonderful, Beautiful City!

by TripAdvisor Member Linny2007

I stayed here for 3 nights with my husband in an executive room for an Easter treat. It was an e deal but still quite cosltly so expectations were high! After reading reviews on this site I requested in advance a riverside view (as the road can be noisy, and the view would be rubbish), in a no smoking room (its all no smoking apart from the bar and lounge) in a quiet part of the hotel. I also asked for bathrobes, not because of a review on here just becasue I like em! All requests were catered for. We were in room 621. There was even a curtesy phone call shortly after we checked in to make sure the room was to our satisfaction - it was but that was before we had jumped on the bed!
The room was modern and well equiped, if a little smaller than I had imagined an "executive" bedroom would be. There was a large king size bed, a small sitting area by the window, light up bedside tables, TV with some satelitel channels, a large desk and a small dressing table. There were also ironing facilities and a hairdryer provided. The bathroom was spotless and not cramped. The shower was hot and powerful altough if they are going to install a great shower they need better ventilation as I was in for ages and the steam really built up!
All hotel services were spot on and staff were very friendly and helpful. The maids did a brilliant job every day and there were always fresh supplies of towels, drinks etc. The reception staff were always polite and would help with anything from booking taxis to arranging newspapers etc. Check in and check out went smoothly (apart from me not being able to find my card, emptying my bag and then it turned up in my coat pocket!).
We didn't eat at the restaurant or drink in the hotel bar so I can't really comment on that other than to say according to the sample menu on the board in the lift a steak with sauce is £19 (!). The breakfasts were delicious with a WIDE variety of choice all fresh.
The hotel is within easy walking distance of the city centre but there is an awful lot of walking to do once you reach Princess Street or the Royal Mile so I advise bringing VERY comfortable footwear. The city is amazing, so much fabulous architecture new and old, extremely clean and on the whole the people there are so friendly. We had a great time and would definitely return.
Being able to park your car at the hotel is a godsend. We pretty much just left it there. It's quite tight to park under the hotel though. If you are using Sat Nav to get there, ours might be a bit out of date but it struggled with the city centre on the way to the hotel. We think the road layouts/one way systems have changed recently but we got there eventually.
There is only on negative thing to report on the Menzies Belford was the bed. It was HUGE due to the fact that it was seemingly 2 single beds zipped together. This left a hard uncomfortable ridge down the middle which was not great for cuddles (but I guess brilliant if your partner is a restless sleeper or you don't like him/her that much!). Also both matresses were not the same, one was definitely bouncier than the other. They were also a bit too hard for my liking. It wouldn't put me off staying here again but it was an issue. I have mentioned it on their customer feedback form.
Anyway I hope you have a wonderful time and I hope this review has been helpful. Sorry I forgot to take photos of the hotel.

Travel Lodge quality

by TripAdvisor Member jacobali

I picked the Belford after many good reviews on trip advisor but have come away disappointed. The room was a triple to accomodate myself, my husband and my 3 year old. On entering the hotel I was impressed by the reception asnd eagerly awaited the room. The room was in the older part of the hotel, it was large and airy but the double bed was comprised of two single beds (of different heights) pushed together to make a double, which wasnt great. The room was average, reminded me of travel lodges than a 4 star hotel and the bathroom was in need of a good refurb and decent clean. The view of the grimy insides of the toilet and mouldy grouting on the tiles whilst lying in the bath wasnt exactly what I expected. Apart from that the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were excellent. Distance into town was more of an issue with a buggy, a 15 minute walk to nearest end of princess street and then a further 20 minutes walk to all the main attractions. Edinburgh was fantastic but we did do some miles becaus of location of the hotel. Buses were fab though. If staying in edinburgh again with children I would definately stay in a more central location.

Superb hotel

by TripAdvisor Member katkid

We stayed here for two days - it is a wonderful hotel - quiet, with a great view of a park across the street. The price was very low for the caliber of hotel. The rooms were tastefully decorated and very functional. Not as big as hotel rooms in the US, but big for Europe. The lobby was comfortable and the staff very helpful. It was about a 15 minute walk to Princes street and another 10 minutes to the heart of Edinburgh, not far at all. The breakfast buffet was excellent - a wide variety of hot and cold foods nicely prepared. The restaurant was also very nicely designed with a circular fireplace. This was our cheapest room between London and Dublin, and by far the best. Would stay here again.

Nothing to write home about

by TripAdvisor Member MissSea

Stayed in the hotel after getting a great rate for a girls' weekend. Was really disappointed with the rooms we were given - we were clearly put into the old section of the hotel, and as was mentioned before, the bathroom was pretty horrible. The room was also freezing, which wasn't great, considering it was snowing outside!! I think it would be fair to say if i had paid the £175 they were asking for a standard room, there's no way i'd have stayed in the room we were allocated!

The reception area and the restaurant however, were lovely, as was the selection on offer at breakfast.

Overall we were very disappointed - we'd have been far better staying in the Travel Inn!!

One of the best buffet breakfasts

by TripAdvisor Member Clerkenwell

I stayed here with my fiancee and some friends to attend a wedding in Edinburgh. It is less that half and hour from the airport and only a ten minute walk to Princes Street. They offerred us a good deal on the rate and the rooms were adequate (if a little tired). It is a long way from being a boutique hotel but, I felt, offerred good value for money. The breakfast buffet is exceptional.

Edinburgh - Modern & Clean Accomodation

by JuniperBerry

Hello! We plan to go to Scotland next spring and use Edinburgh as our base. We would like some help narrowing down some hotel choices.

1. Carlton Hotel
2. Jarvis Royal Ramada
3. George Intercontinental
4. Menzies Belford
5. Thistle Hotel

All these hotels looked clean and fairly new on their webisites. But we'd like to know people's comments & actual experiences with these hotels. Our main goal is a clean, modern hotel, with all amenities properly functioning and has good location.

Menzies looks great and newly renovated, but we have this impression that it's isolated and we'd spend lots on taxi fare going to town. Is this corect?

Would love to hear your feedback on above hotels!!Thanks!

RE: Edinburgh - Modern & Clean Accomodation

by Runrig

Hi,
my humble opinion:
Carlton: typical business hotel, great location in the old town, just off Royal Mile
Jarvis Royal: typical business hotel, good loacation for shopping and just across the railway from the odl town
George Intercont: probably the most charming of all your proposals, good location just behind Princes Street (shopping) and easy walk to old town
Thistle Hotel: location wise very similar to the Jarvis and George, standard business/Leisure hotel
Menzies Belford: yes you would be a bit further from the City Centre than with the other hotels, but I wouldn't call it isolated!

Regards,
Runrig

RE: RE: Edinburgh - Modern & Clean Accomodation

by juliefrmga

We just got back from a trip there and stayed at the SAS Radisson. Clean, modern, and about the middle of the Royal Mile. There's a tourist office for bus tours and walking tours about 3 minutes away.

Comments