221 Ferry Road, Midlothian, Edinburgh, EH6 4NN, United Kingdom
Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

More about Edinburgh

Spacious LobbySpacious Lobby

Rosslyn ChapelRosslyn Chapel

Kolbenneblok: "Tony Cragg" 1989.Kolbenneblok: "Tony Cragg" 1989.

Dolly the sheepDolly the sheep

Dundee & Edinburgh

by zuhur

I'll be in Dundee with one free afternoon/night and in Edinburgh for one late afternoon/night.

What should I see in Dundee? Where might I stay with a reasonable price in Edinburgh and what could I see in that short time?

Thanks

by iaint

Dundee - I'd suggest Discovery Point in the afternoon, then maybe a play or a film (Rep Theatre or DCA) in the evening. You'll get tips on my Dundee page.

Edinburgh - this time of year its dark by 4pm. Maybe the National Galleries? Evening - lots of good pubs & restaurants, or theatre/cinema. Lots of tips on my Edinburgh page. I'm not good on hotels as I live 40 minutes away. Sometimes the Holiday Inns have good deals.

by hawkhead

You could try the Travelodge - the one on St Mary Street is very convenient - don't both with their overpriced breakfast but use one of the local cafes.

I, too, suggest Discovery Point. Also, one of the jute warehouses has been made into a museum - you could look it up on google.

by df53

Can't help with Dundee but given the tight timescales I'd stay central in Edinburgh. What time do arrive? Most things like the castle shut early this time of year, the bus tours all leave from Waverley Bridge and are a good way of seeing everything in a short space of time. The christmas Market has now opened and that's open quite late.

by IreneMcKay

In Edinburgh I would walk the Royal Mile from the castle to the Palace of Holyrood House. It does not matter if things are open or closed there are lots of lovely buildings on route such as St Giles Cathedral, John Knox house. For drinks or food in Edinburgh we like The Halfway House a tiny bar in the old town. Princes Street Gardens are also good for a stroll and Princes street is where to go if you want to do some shopping. Have a good trip.

by IanMacPhail

When in Dundee try to find time to visit the Discovery or the Verdant works.

by al2401

Either the Royal Mile, or Princes Street and Gardens would be my fist choice. The Botanical Gardens are also worth a visit.

by zuhur

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Maybe I'll make it by daylight back to Edinburgh, but I'm happy
to get to see whatever I can.

Travel Tips for Edinburgh

Magnificent

by micas_pt

Edinburgh is a magnificent city, I enjoyed every minute I spent there and I would love to return again and again and again.

It is a city that is quite expensive for my portuguese standards - Ibis Hotel, which in Portugal may cost around 60 euros costs 130 euros in Edinburgh!! I found the city cold (again, comparing to my portuguese standards), as I visited in July and the days were rainy and foggy and I had to wear a coat.

The hundreds of photos I took are greyish and seem to lack definition, however I found the fog added a certain mistery and special mood to the city, which fitted perfectly. On our last day in Edinburgh we finally saw the sun and the city seemed to gloom!

Sometimes I wonder if Edinburgh isn't somewhat an underrated destination, as people often mention others cities as the prettiest in Europe; I must confess I was so impressed with Edinburgh that I'd rate it high on Europe's prettiest capitals. The castle was my favourite part of the city, I was quite impressed by it. I assume the view around it must be magnificent, but the day we visited everything was foggy and blurry. The mist added a certain ambience to the castle, making it look misterious and enigmatic, as castles are supposed to be in tales and legends. The sound of the pipes coming from the fog is striking and moving.

Edinburgh Tip

by a.g.roberts

Rain, and lots of it! We had really stormy weather the whole time we were in Edinburgh. It didn't just rain either, the wind was something else. It made for a really cold visit up to Edinburgh Castle as you can see from this ominous photo taken from the castle wall. The wonderful thing about that kind of weather is that when you go inside and sit in a warm room with a hot cup of tea you would swear you've never been more comfortable in your whole life!

An old tale of an old house

by scottishvisitor

Queensberry House was built in 1651and was first owned by Lord Queensberry. The house has a dark secret in Edinburgh's grizzly past - a servant boy was supposedly roasted on a spit by a Dukes son while the Duke tried to placate the rioting crowds outside. Down through history the house changed is residents becoming various hospitals and was bought by Scottish & Newcastle Breweries - maybe too much beer was drunk to create the morbid story.
Today, on Historic Scotland's insistance, Queensberry House has been restored and become an intergral part of the Scottish Parliament. In my opinion the only nice part of the complex.

Meet some ghosts!

by tashka

When you don't know what to do in Edinburgh by night, go to the Royal Mile and take a trip from there to the city's vaults. meet the Cobbler ghost, listen to the stories about Burke and Hare, the serial killers who sold their victims' bodies to doctor Knox, visit the Edinburgh cemetery by night, learn the terrifying facts of witch hunting and plague in Edinburgh.

The experience is funny at times and sometimes scary, but highly recommended, because you will not just hear stories, you'll feel the atmosphere of the medieval Edinburgh.

However, I wouldn't recommend it to small kids and pregnant women.

The tour is offered by several agencies. I recommend the guide in the picture, although I don't remember the name of the agency he's working for, but if you see him in the Royal Mile - go for it!!!

Eileen Donan Castle, near Kyle...

by feline01

Eileen Donan Castle, near Kyle of Lochalsh in the northern highlands. I think it's impossible to take a bad photograph of this castle. It's just too beautiful. And when we were there, there was a wee boy standing outside playing the bagpipes. And no tourists except us!

Comments