12 Quality Street, North Berwick, EH39 4HP, United Kingdom

More about North Berwick

The lawThe law

Changable weatherChangable weather

Bass RockBass Rock

alleyway leading from town to beachalleyway leading from town to beach

Travel Tips for North Berwick

North Berwick -Tantallon Coastal Walk

by leffe3

From the Harbour to Tantallon Castle 4 miles away you can undertake the most glorious coastal walk - at least almost! The path runs out one bay from the castle - you must climb over a fence and a gate on a farm to the road to complete the journey.

The path traverses the beach from the town heading east before climbing quite steeply to the side of the golf course. The path runs along the very edge of the cliffs - very dramatic - and there are many opportunites to descend to the rocky coves below. At one point you must pass through the golf course - the path arrives at the teeing green- circumvent the golfers - the path continues diagonally opposite up towards the conifer trees. From here you will descend into a glorious (and likely deserted) beach. The far end of the beach requires a steep ascent - it is at this point the path ends.

By walking along the road, the journey is reduced considerably - it looks as if the path wound its way round the next headland at some point - you miss all this out! It's approximately 10 - 15 minute walk wen you first join the road to the castle entrance.

Tantallon Castle

by leffe3

Tantallon is a dramatically located castle on the coast. Pinkish red sandstone, the castle sits atop the cliffs with sheer drops on three side.

The location is more impressive than the ruins themselves, with only the curtain walls (50 feet high) of the Gate House remaining relatively intact, but nevertheless can still provide an hour or two's exploration (and the views are glorious).

Home of the Douglas family, the origins of the castle are to be found in 1358. But later that century, the family split between the Red Douglases (somewhat pro-England) and the very Scottish Black Douglases. Twice the castle was besieged by the King of Scotland (1491 and 1528) and on both occasions were repelled. The castle did eventually fall into the hands of the King (James V - in 1529), but this was through negotiation and the castle was soon back into the hands of the family (1543). All fairly quiet thereafter for a 100 years or so, until Cromwell happened along in the 1650s and reduced the castle to what we see today.

Opening times:
1 April - 30 September: Monday - Sunday, 9.30am - 5.30pm
1 October - 31 March: Saturday - Wednesday, 9.30am - 4.30pm
Entry Fee:
Adult £4.50 Child £2.25 Concessions £3.50

North,Bass,Law and Birds

by Thistle-Rose

"North Berwick"

We both went for a day trip to North Berwick and it was my first visit here,even though it is only about 25 miles east of Edinburgh a city i've been to loads.It was a very funny day weather wise,typical scottish weather really one minute it was sunny then the next windy and rainy but it did not bother me or Jen,who has got used to it now when she comes up to stay in Scotland.Apart from that we had a fun day,walked along the beach and visited the Scottish Seabird Centre and walked around the town.

"Beach"

Really enjoyed our time in visiting North Berwick but we have to go back there again some time and walk to the top of North Berwick Law we did not feel it was suitable in the shoes we had on or the fact the weather was a bit iffy so decided against it.The beach though was different,we had a lovelly stroll along it and liked the steps that were attached to the back of the gardens of peoples homes-very charming.

sentimental journey

by iaint

"where it all started..."

My first holiday!

Beside the sea in sunny Scotland (probably cold and grey, in reality). I think 1955, which would make me 2+.

I'm not sure if we would have been living in Edinburgh or Inverness at that time.

"why I'm writing this!"

I was back there this week (last week of August 2007) and it was only when I began to think about previous visits over the years that I remembered I had my first holiday there.

Accordingly, a VT page and a few tips are compulsory, and long overdue!

"regular visitor"

For many years I couldn't really claim to be a frequent visitor, but definitely regular.

My parents lived a few miles away since 1982, after 25 years in Edinburgh. Their village is nice, but small. Sometimes you need to go elsewhere, and you have to if you need a supermarket and other "townie" facilities (like a bank!). So, over the years I have often ended up in NB for a few hours.

For several months in I was in town every week as my father was in a nursing home there until he died in February 10.

Some mixed memories now...

North Berwick

by juzz

"A trip around Edinburgh"

We took the train in the morning and left Edinburgh and arrived in North Berwick quite quickly. It's a small and very nice village on the sea. We were very lucky and found a sunny and windy day. We took a walk on the seaside and visited the village, then we visited two castles near there: the closest is Tantallon Castle and the other was Dirleton Castle. In the tourist office they helped us to find the bus to get to the two places we wanted to visit. Ask them!!

Comments