Shetland Hotels

Our Members Say

• kathymof profile photo kathymof
  • Reviews: 245

Sumburgh Hotel: Sumburgh Hotel

This hotel is at Sumburgh Head, Sumburgh, Main Island, Shetland, Scotland - it is not in Sydney as they default name seems to think.

Closest hotel to the airport and the only hotel anywhere near the airport and no airport noise! This is a very nice hotel in an old laird's mansion. Most of the rooms are in a modern addition to the back of the hotel so your chances of getting into the historical part are slim unless you make a specific request. The staff running the hotel are wonderful - everyone! They knew who I was without my even giving my name - I think the combination of how I looked from major jet lag and the fact they knew I was flying in from California was a dead give away. They took excellent care of me which is a good thing because it was the worst jet lag I have ever had.

The rooms were basic but nice. The food was excellent, the locals very friendly, the bar very nice and inviting. A very big plus is that the Jarlshof archaeological site is right next to the hotel. It is a wonderful place to visit. And you can walk to several places such as Sumburg Head and Scatness archaeological site from the hotel.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Archeology, Hiking and Walking
  • Written November 28, 2004

Sumburgh Hotel

• kathymof profile photo kathymof
  • Reviews: 245

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Baltasound Hotel: Most northern hotel in Great Britain

Good food and nice accommodation. They have a residents bar and an adjoining pub. Between the two you can taste every beer brewed by the Valhalla Brewing Company, Britain's most northern brewing company, located in nearby Unst. I loved them all.

The accommodations are in log cabins - a Nordic influence I assume. The rooms were very nice but did have trouble getting the shower water any warmer than ice cold. The sink was hotter than Hades. It was a fun place to stay.

• Written November 28, 2004

Baltasound hotel and cabins

• leics profile photo leics
  • Reviews: 2575

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Alder Lodge: Excellent b&b.

I have absolutely *no* idea why I did not write this review before: the accomm review is usually the first one I write. I think I was just overwhelmed with the beauty of Shetland on four sunny, clear summer days and wanted to share my photos as quickly as possible!

But here it is...

Alder Lodge is on the main road into Lerwick town centre (not a terribly busy main road though!), perhaps 5 minutes downhill walk to the harbour and less than 10 to the magnificent cliffs which over look Bressay Sound (if you get up early enough you can wave to the overnight ferry from Scotland as it arrives around 7am each morning!).

The b&b was taken over early in 2011 by the local owners of another guesthouse. By the time I arrived in August it had been updated and painted and refurbished and was absolutely super.

Keith and Karen are super hosts, friendly, helpful and informative without being over-intrusive.

My twin-for-single-use room was clean, comfortable and warm with ensuite and free effective wifi.

Breakfast was freshly-cooked, with a good choice (including kippers or smoked haddock).

There is a good range of DVDs and books to borrow if the weather means an early night!

There is limited parking outside the house but ample parking on the road just round the corner. There's no need to worry about parking on the road in Shetland.

A super place, highly recommended, and a place to which I will definitely return when I go back to Shetland.

• Related to: Family Travel, Singles, Seniors
  • Written January 10, 2012

Alder Lodge

• supercarys profile photo supercarys
  • Reviews: 172

Solbrekke: World's Best Bed and Breakfast

This was a fantastic B&B, run by one of the most friendly people I have ever met. The bed was lovely and warm and comfortable, breakfast was delicious, you get your own tv and the owners seemed to really care about me!

Mrs J Stove, the owner went right out of her way to make sure I had an enjoyable trip in Shetland. She pointed out all the different things I could do, showed me how to get here and there on the map, made me dinner as well and even drove me around the island to see it properly despite the fact that I had hired a car for this very purpose myself - she wouldn't take no for an answer.

I have no hesitation in recommending this B&B to anyone. I would go back there even if it was an inconvenience to do so simply because it was so good.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written October 11, 2006

view from my room

• TomFoolery profile photo TomFoolery
  • Reviews: 76

Gardiesfauld Youth Hostel: Britain's Most Northerly Youth Hostel

The Gardiesfauld Hostel in Uyeasound, Unst is Britain's most Northerly hostel, and the only hostel on Unst.

The hostel isn't staffed for much of the day, but you can arrive and leave your things and report back later, leaving a note on the whiteboard at the front of the hostel.

Camping is available in the pleasent grounds. There is a kitchen, lounge and drying room.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written August 14, 2005

The Grounds of the Hostel

• MikeBird profile photo MikeBird
  • Reviews: 376

Saxavord Hostel: Great value and terrific location

Saxavord Resort Hostel is unlike any other hostel I've stayed in. It's more like a hotel but without en suite facilities and the opportunity to be self catering in well equipped kitchens I guess the owners thought it best to label it as a hostel in order to lower visitor's expectations.

I was very impressed with this place. It was great value at less than £60 for 3 nights though breakfast was extra at £5.00 a go.

The washrooms were very clean and there was plenty of hot water for the showers.

There is an excellent bar and restaurant attached to the hostel so you can eat in if you prefer not to cook for yourself. The bar serves beers brewed in the local brewery located next to Saxavord.

The hostel forms part of what was previously the RAF station of Saxavord. Employees at the radar facility up the neighbouring hill were living here until it closed. Since 2008 the resort hostel has been in operation. On the same site there are self catering houses. These remain open for a longer season. The hostel opens from about early May to end of August.

As a consequence of its RAF origins don't expect the hostel to be attractive from the outside. The accommodation is quite functional and densely packed so from a distance the camp looks really unappealing but once inside you'd not notice.

If you seek warm, friendly accommodation in a great location this will be hard to beat.

It's only about 3 - 4 miles from Hermaness Nature Reserve and the lovely beaches of Norwick and Skaw. Situated on the north of Haroldswick Saxavord provides the perfect location to be based in the north of Unst.

• Related to: Backpacking, National/State Park, Budget Travel
  • Written September 3, 2012

Main reception at Saxavord

• deptlads profile photo deptlads
  • Reviews: 161

Busta House Hotel: The UK´s most northerly country house hotel

We can never be accused of 'budget' travel. That's not to say we don't set ourselves a budget, we just make sure that it is big enough.

We're prepared to pay that bit extra if we think that we're getting value for money. At Busta House we paid GBP110.00 a night for a double room (one of their more expensive ones), but it was well worth it.

From the moment we checked in and were shown to our room we were made to feel comfortable. After we had settled-in, we went down to reception to ask for some tea - "certainly Sir. Would you like it served in the library?" Oh yes! And very nice it was too, accompanied by a huge plate of biscuits.

All of the rooms are different, and are named after islands in the Shetlands. We chose the Fair Isle room, which had views over the Garden and Busta Voe, and a fantastically huge and very comfortable double bed.

If you´re looking for a romantic, intimate hotel with friendly service and relaxed atmosphere we can thoroughly recommend this place. It also has an excellent restaurant.

How´s this for unique:

In the grounds are stone dragons that originally adorned the House of Commons in London. They were rescued by the local MP and Lord Lieutenant of Shetland (who lived at Busta House) after the Palace of Westminster was damaged by bombing during the Second World War.

Busta House has its own 18th century family tragedy of forbidden love, secret marriage, a disinherited "bastard" son, the tragic death at sea of the entire male line, and a resulting lawsuit that took 93 years to resolve - to the ruination of the family.

Oh yes, there is also a ghost, of course!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Food and Dining
  • Written August 20, 2006

Busta House

• call_me_rhia profile photo call_me_rhia
  • Reviews: 4274

Queens Hotel: an old hotel, really charming, by the old port

It’s not the poshest hotel in town, if for posh you intend 5 stars, but it’s for sure the most charming of them all: it’s the Queens Hotel, an old country house overlooking lerwick harbour and the Isle of Bressay which was turned into a hotel in the 1860’s. The official stars are only 3, but the hotel offers all the services of a 4 star hotel – the price for a room, in fact, is just the same as another local 4 star hotel, which is neither so charming nor has such lovely views. What I liked about the Queens was my room overlooking the harbour – and the cry of the seagulls that woke me up in the morning: it felt like following nature’s time, not watch time.

A plus of the hotel is the restaurant, one of Lerwick’s best. It specialises in fresh seafood – the grilled wild salmon steak is particularly delicious.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written November 8, 2002

queens hotel

• rngr633 profile photo rngr633
  • Reviews: 18

Sumburgh Hotel: Nice place to stay in Shetland

I felt very welcome the 4 nights I spent here. Seems the whole staff knew who I was. Great meals, & friendly service.

Easy access to Shetland by bus- it picks you up & drops you off right at the Hotel Gate. 2 GBP to Lerwick. It's seafront location has wonderful views. The famous Jarlshof ruins are right out the door.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Archeology
  • Written February 8, 2005

Sumburgh Hotel Shetland

• BOB_B profile photo BOB_B
  • Reviews: 16

Glen Orchy: Good Guest House with Thai Theme

This was a good choice - it was comfortable, easy to reach, had parking and did a great breakfast!! There was also a Thai restuarant which we tried once. SOme of the food was quite hot so be warned! We were really impressed with the selection and if you don't want to go far then this was a great solution. Also bear in mind that the eating options in Lewrick aren't brilliant, so it's worth a visit at least one night of your stay. The reception was very helpful on what to see in the area.

Lots of information on tourist attractions and you could order fish for breakfast if you wanted. Made a good base for exploring Shetland.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Archeology, Historical Travel
  • Written September 8, 2007

• pamelas2002 profile photo pamelas2002
  • Reviews: 10

Betty moat's bod and johnny noxions' bod: Shetland's Bods

Bods are fishermen's huts which have now been turned into sleeping quarters. Services offered depend on the bod you choose, however betty moat's bod offers hot showers, ten beds, fireplace, and kitchen. On the other hand johnny noxions bod has no electricity, and no shower but it has good sleeping quarters, kitchen and toilets. Good for campers - a getaway from the cold weather. Cheap prices also and very clean. An experience!!!!!

Betty Moat's bod is near Eshaness - good site for puffin, whales and seal watching. Watching depends on your luck ;)

• Related to: Birdwatching, Whale Watching, Camping