Lerwick Hotels

Our Members Say

• leics profile photo leics
  • Reviews: 2575

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Alder Lodge: Clean, comfy, friendly...and excellent breakfast!

I'd checked the hotels in Lerwick and none really appealed...or their prices, in mid-August, were way above my budget. So I decided to explore the b&b options.

I chose the Aald Harbour B&B, which has excellent reviews, but when I contacted the owners they told me they were about to take over Alder Lodge...so I booked there instead.

Alder Lodge, built of stone in the 1800s and originally a bank, is at the top of the (not very steep) hill just behind the harbour. There's parking space for only 3 cars but there is ample parking on the nearby roads (and no crime to worry about). There's no need to worry about traffic noise either, as Lerwick has little traffic outside business hours. The town centre is a couple of minutes' walk away, the Knab perhaps 5...it's ideally situated, imo.

Keith & Karen had only been in Alder Lodge for a few months when I visited but the effort they have put into re-decorating is obvious...it'll be even better by next year.

My twin-bedded room (with TV/DVD player, fridge, tea & coffee making items) was very clean and very comfortable, with heating available even though it was mid-August (I didn't need it but warm weather is not guaranteed in Shetland!). Plenty of drawer space available, a good hot shower and a comfy armchair.

Breakfast is cooked to order, with all the usual range of offerings plus smoked haddock. I can't face haddock in the morning but if it is anywhere near as good as the bacon & egg I was served then it will be excellent. There is juice, cereal, yoghurts, fruit, cheeses and toast available as well. And 'proper' (filter) coffee too, which is unusual in UK b&bs.

Free wifi is available throughout the house, and there are ample books and DVDs to borrow if the weather is foul.

Keith & Karen are very friendly indeed (and so is Kayla, the dog), with lots of helpful information at their fingertips. They make excellent hosts.

Highly recommended...but do book early if you are visiting in summer. Shetland has limited accommodation options and it soon gets booked out.

Friendliness and warmth, both literal and metaphorical.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Seniors, Singles
  • Written August 20, 2011
Tip Photo

Alder Lodge

• margaretvn profile photo margaretvn
  • Reviews: 1935

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

holiday cottage

We hired our holiday cottage from this site:

the little cottage was away in the middle of fields and we often saw the sheep looking in on us!
sorry I cannot remember exactly what we paid for the week but it was not expensive.

• Opinion of Price: about average