Appin House

11 Carrick Road, Ayr, KA7 2RA, United Kingdom
Appin House
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Ayr

cottage from rearcottage from rear

Me with Culzean Castle in the backgroundMe with Culzean Castle in the background

PlaygroundPlayground

Me and my bags on the beach in AyrMe and my bags on the beach in Ayr

Travel Tips for Ayr

GOLF

by hevbell

St Andrews may be the "home of golf" but Ayrshire isn't doing too badly when it comes to golf courses. There are many municipal courses including Belleisle, Dalmilling, Prestwick, Maybole, Girvan etc as well as many private clubs not too mention the more well known courses at Turnberry (pictured) and Royal Troon, both of which played host to the British Open golf tournament during the 1990's. In fact it was at Prestwick Golf Club, in 1860, that the British Open was first played. Golf Clubs might be handy :) But unless you are determined to stick out like a sore thumb as a tourist, leave the tartan trousers at home!

AUCHINCRUIVE

by hevbell

Locally, Auchincruive estate is most well known for being home to one campus of the Scottish Agricultural College. However with its location beside the River Ayr, it also offers some nice walks. There are around 4 colour coded walks of varying lengths and on both sides of the river, taking in woodland, an old railway and even a random Burns Monument hidden in the trees!

If coming by car, there is free parking at Oswald Hall [signposted from the road into the estate]. There is also a cycle route from Ayr all the way to Auchincruive along the river.

For me, I can walk here from my house if I'm feeling energetic!

Dundonald Castle

by stevezero

The castle stands on a hill overlooking a village of the same name. There has been a fortification on the hill for over three hundred years. It has also been the site of three medieval castles.
What we see now are the remains of the third, dating back to the 14th Century, built by Robert II, to mark his accesion to the Scottish throne in 1371. The castle changed hands many times over the following centuries.
From the top of the castle you get good views over central Ayrshire (on a good day that is!)

In the care of Historic Scotland.

Admission Charge - Adults 2.50
(includes exhibition)

More than Robert Burns

by Sjalen

When people go on holiday to Scotland they go to Edinburgh, Inverness, Iona and Skye and why not - all great places, but it surprises me that Ayrshire isn't "discovered" at all apart from amongst Robert Burns fans since this is where he was born. I myself had not really heard of this part of Scotland until I had a few spare days before going to Edinburgh once. As my plane from Sweden landed in Glasgow and that looked too grey for my friend and me, we quickly decided that something else was needed and found the guidebook which mentioned "Burn's birth place and a nice coastline" or something along those lines. We decided to give it a try and I am so glad we did. I hope to come back here too as I now have a friend in nearby Troon to visit.

Comments