Bythesea

16 Queens Terrace, Ayr, KA7 1DU, United Kingdom
Bythesea
Priceline.com Booking.com

More about Ayr

Map of the walksMap of the walks

Irvine BeachIrvine Beach

Ardstinchar Castle, South AyrshireArdstinchar Castle, South Ayrshire

Auld KirkAuld Kirk

Irish students coming to Ayr for Winter semester

by siobhanrenard

Hello! Me and 4 or 5 of my friends are gonna be going to Paisley University in Ayr in September to study until the end of January and we cant wait. First of all, any students of the Uni have any tips for me in general, whats it like?Secondly, we have to find a place to live because we wont be getting on campus accommodation. Its been pretty difficult to suss out houses on the internet. We might get a chance to go over for two days around the end of august to have a look but if we dont we will just have to try and find a place when we arrive in september. We dont want to be homeless...would appreciate any advice. Many thanks, Siobhan.

RE: Irish students coming to Ayr for Winter semester

by df53

I guess it depends on where you want to live. Ayr is a nice place but if you want to go out you will probably end up going to Glasgow and its a pain getting back to Ayr after a nice out (dont even think of getting a taxi). Staying in Glasgow and commuting to Ayr is going to mean an early rise every morning so I guess you need to decide what the trade off is.

Dave

RE: Irish students coming to Ayr for Winter semester

by hughbt

Hi Siobhan

Yes I agree that you will get a good night out in Glasgow but all is not lost. Ayr does have a few nightclubs which are not too bad and have decent student mights / drinkks promos etc. Madisons during the week was popular recently (been a few moths since I was there). Fury Murray's is alright too.

As for renting a place, why dont you try

OR there are rent free - live in carer positions via Partners for Inclusion where you provide some care to someone with a disability and you get your room in exchange. You would need to speak to Ms Kelly 01292 471271

Good luck

Hugh

Travel Tips for Ayr

GIRVAN

by hevbell

Girvan is another seaside town located about 20 miles south of Ayr. Despite me living so close I hadn't really been there for many years - except passing through - but this summer I took a trip down there for an afternoon and its got a really nice harbour area! Its long been a holiday spot - my dad spent some of his childhood holidays there and there are many B&Bs, holiday homes and caravan parks in and around Girvan.

Since Ayr is its nearest big town its pretty well provided for with shops, cafes etc considering the size. I particularly like Bobs ice cream place, round the back of the Marine fish & chip shop!!

BURNS COTTAGE

by hevbell

I've now been to Burns Cottage a couple of times, both during Doors Open Day. These are the gardens at the back of the cottage. The cottage itself has been restored to look much as it would have when Burns was a child and there is a museum in the adjoining building that follows his life and the songs and poems he wrote and published.

AILSA CRAIG

by hevbell

The big lump of granite rock you may well notice popping up from the sea if you are anywhere near the coast [unless its hazy] is in fact a volcanic plug known as Ailsa Craig. Its best seen from further down the coast [between Girvan & Ballentrae] and you can actually take a boat trip out there from Girvan although its something I've never done. Its now a bird sanctuary

Comments