Dunlay Guest House

Stinchar Bridge, South AyrshireStinchar Bridge, South Ayrshire

Auld Kirk graveyardAuld Kirk graveyard

a one nighter

by iaint

my son is playing ice hockey in Irvine on Saturday night next week (almost a 2 hour drive home)
he is playing at Dumfries on the Sunday afternoon (a 2 hour drive from home, but only 1 hour from Irvine)
to reduce wear & tear on his poor old dad (the driver until he gets a licence) and reduce his carbon footprint, we should stay Saturday night in Ayr/Prestwick/Troon
i know i can get a Holiday Inn Express (or the like)somewhere, but does anyone have any better ideas; not too fussy on price, within reason, if it saves me 3 hours in the car!

by zuriga

Check out www.smoothhound.co.uk. I've always had good luck with this website when booking places in the UK. I like that they have color photos and links to a place's website. There look to be quite a lot of choices in the Ayr/Troon area. It's so beautiful there.. I hope you have great weather.

by iaint

thanks for the tip; there's a farmhouse B&B which looks good;
I'm OK with Premier Travel Inn type places, except at weekends when the drunks seem to take over; "traditional" hotels are often noisy as well due to weddings etc, and quality is very patchy in Scotland

by zuriga

I'm sorry I couldn't be more specific but am glad you found something agreeable. Last time we were in Scotland, we rented a cottage near Kilmarnock for a week and did daytrips. It was beautiful!!

by iaint

our farmhouse B&B turned out very well (see my Ayr tips) so thanks again for the VT tip!

Travel Tips for Ayr

TURNBERRY BEACH

by hevbell

The village of Turnberry is most well known for its world class golf course and hotel & spa but it also has a lovely beach. Me & my dad used to go a lot of walks there when I was a kid - along the beach then back along the golf course to look for rogue golf balls! I hadn't been for years but lately I have taken a few evening strolls there and its lovely. Made even better by having the beach mostly to myself! The picture just shows a smaller cove at the end of the beach but its actually quite long - takes me around an hour to walk to the lighthouse and back.

The route down to the beach isn't very obvious, its just a gated path at the far end of the golf course.

The lighthouse at the far end of the beach is built on the ruins of what was Turnberry castle. Many believe this was the birthplace of Robert the Bruce since his mother was Countess of Carrick [the area of Ayrshire where Turnberry is] and known to have been living there around the time he was born. He, in fact, became Earl of Carrick on her death and the title then became a Royal one when he was crowned King, now being held by Prince Charles.

The Auld Kirk

by Rojo72

Famous from Robert Burns' work is the Auld Kirk in Alloway. I don't know the peom all that well but I had heard of the Auld Kirk and the Brig o'Doon so I went to take photos of them. Really nice places and motives

CARRICK HILLS

by hevbell

If you want a good view over Ayr the best is from Carrick Hills - which can be seen from the town with the radio masts at the top.

On a clear day you can see right up the Ayrshire coast and over to Arran and sometimes Northern Ireland.

Comments