St. Andrews Hotel

Satisfaction Poor

More about Ayr

the farmhousethe farmhouse

belleislebelleisle

The Wellington, with convienient benches to sit ouThe Wellington, with convienient benches to sit ou

Brig o'DoonBrig o'Doon

Travel Tips for Ayr

Ailsa Craig

by Sjalen

Some say it looks like a bun sticking up above sea level, others a breast. Whatever the likeness, it is a small island just off the coast and inhabited by birds and seals. I want to go there as I am a fan of The Men They Couldn't Hang who sing about it in one of their songs, but I am sure it would be a generally good boat trip too.

CARLTON HOTEL

by hevbell about The Carlton Hotel

This place is one of my favourites locally but somewhere I don't go too often as the menu is limited. The food is delicious though and I always enjoy it!

Basically its a carvery place so the main part of the meal involves going up to the buffet style area and picking out your choice of meat which the chef will carve for you and then helping yourself to the trimmings -- stuffing balls, Yorkshire puddings, various vegetables, roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, gravy etc. There is usually a choice of ham, turkey and beef or you can have all three if you wish! A good old fashioned British roast dinner!!

They do have vegetarian options and there are also starters and desserts on the menu.

Best of all its really good value, especially on week nights :) My absolute favourite thing is the dessert - I always have Chocolate Melt cake. Its just devine and I remember the first time my friend and I tried it, the waitress berated us for choosing it as it meant there was less likely to be any left for her at the end of her shift!!

I'm not a ham fan so I always have turkey and beef, yummy sage and onion stuffing balls, veg and roast tatties :) Weirdly one of my favourite things is the cauliflower!! I always have a big heap of that on my plate!

CULZEAN CASTLE & COUNTRY PARK

by hevbell

Anyone visiting this area should definitely pay a visit to this National Trust property - the most visited in Scotland I believe. It is one of my favourite places to go as its basically like my local park, beach etc. The castle itself is well worth a visit but for me personally the grounds are much more of an attraction since the castle costs extra to get into. There are various beaches in the park, the best of which is Port Carrick.

I've built a page [under Maidens] to house all my pictures & info about Culzean so check it out

Ayrshire Countryside

by hawes

We camped just outside of Ayr on the Culzean castle grounds. The castle was awesome to visit, but the best part was the beautiful countryside and great ocean views. The campsite had a great view of Arran island and had access to the castle grounds, as well as fun activities on their own.

Comments