Alamo Guest House

46 Gray Street, Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow, G3 7SE, United Kingdom

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

Quiet location

We stayed at the Alamo Guesthouse, right next door to Kelvingrove Park.
    I think we paid about GBP26 per person.

Unique Quality: When I phoned to book this room, I was told that the room was not ensuite but that there was a private bathroom next door and we would have the only key. We were happy enough with this arrangement until we realised that the bathroom was actually about 6 metres away and we had to walk out into the main entrance hall to get to it. Any guests just checking in would see us parading past! The room was not any cheaper because of this, either.

Having said that, the rest of our stay was fine. The bathroom was nice and had a big sunken tub and shower. The guesthouse faces the park and is very quiet. We were between the main part of the West End and City Centre so we were happy enough about the location. Breakfast was the usual Scottish cooked breakfast with sausage, bacon, potato scone and egg. There was also a selection of juices and cereals.

The owners smoke and own a cat.

More about Alamo Guest House

A "First Class" Guest House

by TripAdvisor Member Hermite

I was booked by Meeting Makers, the company that worked with the recent Soroptimist International Convention which was held July 29 - August 2, 2007
I stayed at the Alamo Guest House from July 27-August 5, 2007.
This is a bed and breakfast facility. The managers Steve and Emma did a superb job of welcoming me and making my stay very enjoyable. They were both friendly and hospitable. The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable and the breakfast served between 7:30 and 9:30 a.m. was sumptious. They were also very helpful in getting me transportation when I needed it and in giving directions to places in Glasgow.
Alamo House is in a very good location as it is about 15-20 minutes from the Convention Centre, about 10 minutes or so from Kelvingrove Museum. Public transportation is a short block away and so are restaurants and eating places. The daily rate is also very reasonable. The service was incredible and I highly recommend it as a place to stay while visiting Glasgow.

Lovely

by TripAdvisor Member NWN8tureLover

My husband and I spent the last 3 nights of our 3 week honeymoon which encompassed Ireland and Scotland, at the Alamo Guest House in Glasgow. Upon arrival, Steve told us that we had been upgraded at no additional cost and showed us to a lovely and spacious ground floor room with a newly remodeled bathroom. Steve and all the members of his staff were very friendly and helpful. The location was great, right across the street from Kelvingrove Park and within walking distance to downtown Glasgow. We greatly enjoyed our stay and happily recommend the Alamo to anyone planning a stay in Glasgow.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member MidTexas

My wife and I recently stayed one night at the Alamo Guest House during our two week tour of Scotland. The proprietor was very gracious given our unavoidable late arrival (9:15 pm). Our room was clean and the property well located in the most desirable part of town. We were, however, disappointed in getting the one bedroom in the house which had not been updated. The breakfast was also a disappointment since the website mentioned the accommodation included a full Scottish breakfast. The breakfast provided was more in line of a continental breakfast with the addition of scrambled eggs on the buffet. I asked the owner if they provided breakfast cooked to order and was informed they had quit providing either this option or breakfast meat due to the smell of cooking. This property was one of five we stayed at while in the country and the only accommodation not providing a full breakfast. Other than these two items we were pleased with our stay and would probably stay again if given the opportunity.

A great place!

by TripAdvisor Member griselda

We know what it takes to run a good b&b as we have our own near Paris, France (Dormouse House), and so appreciated all the more our lovely stay with Steve and Emma. My husband is originally from the Glasgow area so especially appreciated being made to feel 'at home again' in the stunning house that is the Alamo. It is great value and very friendly and accommodating. It also houses the world's biggest cat, Flash, who epitomises the relaxed atmosphere by lying on the carpet in bliss all day long! The Alamo is highly recommended!

Excellent place

by TripAdvisor Member lifesah0liday

Wonderful B&B.Loved the decor-very tasteful and definitely the best shower ever in a B&B ensuite.Rooms clean,entrance hall not out of place in large hotel with its own fat cat to welcome you.Breakfast not quite full cooked scottish breakfast but all the more welcome for that.Host genial and genuinely helpful.

#1 for a reason

by TripAdvisor Member Avfclancs

Becoming #1 at anything is tough, staying there is even harder! The Alamo could not have done any better as far as we were concerned from the moment we began contacting them about staying. Initial contact was by email and then by phone and Steve was always courteous and helpful. Upon arrival we were greeted with a warm smile and welcome and despite being obviously busy Steve took the time to show us where the attractions could be found and the tips for getting around. We had two rooms (one family room ensuite and one twin room with shared facilities) both were in very good condition and being in the basement did not detract from our experience one bit, in fact it was very quiet and peaceful. We had asked in advance for a couple of items for my wife who has some dietary needs, not only had Steve trawled around most of Glasgow from what we could tell for these he also produced a couple of extra options he had found that suited my wife (now that really is above and beyond the call of duty). Evening meals are not available but you are allowed to take meals (takeaways etc) back to the Alamo and they will provide the cutlery and plates etc (and do the washing up after you!) which when travelling as a family can really save you money rather than having to eat at restaurants. Steve and his wife always had time to help if they were needed and all I can say is that we will back, we loved where the Alamo was situated (practically next door to the Kelvingrove and University of Glasgow) and nothing seemed too much trouble. Thanks for making our stay memorable.

Super & friendly guest house

by TripAdvisor Member PhileasJo

Lovely Victorian house, with all modern conveniences. Perfect location, near a park : quiet & restful.
For a VERY reasonable price you get a lovely room with period furniture and a very healthy breakfast. Emma & Steve, the owners, are here to advise & help when necessary. I WARMLY recommend this place. Excellent value for the money!

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Bill1944

My wife and I spent a week at the Alamo while getting our daughter setteled at the university. If your reading this review, you must be looking for accommodations in Glasgow, your search is over. The Alamo is clean, friendly and a great location.
Steve and Emma did a outstanding job of of making our stay a pleasent one. We will be returning in the future when visiting our daughter.
P.S. If you visit the Alamo, give Flash the cat a scratch behind the ears for us.

Gorgeous Bathroom....Beautiful Antiques

by TripAdvisor Member ErnestandPat

The room where we were assigned had a gorgeous bathroom which was updated and recently remodeled. Steve and his wife have beautiful antiques around the guest house. Breakfast was fine. Staff was friendly. The guest house is a walking distance to Glasgow University and the most important museums as Kelvingrove Museum.

Comments