Alexander Thomson

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Good Location, budget hotel

Booked this through Venere.com, twin room for 1 night including 'Traditional Scottish Breakfast' £44 for the room. Chosen for its location-was attending concert at nearby Old Fruit Market.
    Very Near to Central Station too.

This historic Victorian building is named after the Glaswegian Architect, Alexander Greek Thomson (9 April 1817 – 22 March 1875). It is part of the The Rennie Mackintosh Group (RMG) Hotel chain.

Friendly, helpful reception staff-provided us with map of the city and Car Parking details-Thistle Car Park £6 for 24 hours (instead of usual £12) a short drive from Hotel.

Room 401 reached by elevator or stairs. Card key for access. View over Argyle Street.

Double and single bed, wardrobe , dressing table, Kettle/tea/coffee and 2 packets of biscuits, hairdryer, TV with good selection of TV/Radio channels.
    Bathroom-Shower, WC, basin. Towels.
    Complimentary Shower gel, soap, moisturiser.
    Lounge, bar, Breakfast/Dining Room 1st Floor.
    Breakfast -'Traditional Scottish Breakfast' and Continental..

To be continued.....with photos!

Directions: From Central Station, about 200 metres.

• BEWARE DON"T STAY HERE

This place was booked for us by a local reservation service. We arrived about 6pm Glasgow Queen st. Train Station. It is not a 5 minute walk more like 30 min through bad unsafe areas. Do Not Stay in this place no matter what the price!!!!! There were people dealing drugs in the lobby and out front. There were people having fights in the lobby. There were people trying to rent rooms at an hourly rate. There were Hookers on the corner and cruising the neighbohood. The place is in need of major repairs. The shower didn't work the partial glass door on the tub almost fell off. There was melted wax on the bathroom floor from drug use. Then there was a drug dealer in the next room so people were knocking on her door all nite long and yelling for people to come to the door and they would get confused and knock on our door too. To top it all off there wasn't even a phone in the room to call the front desk or the police. We left as early as possible the next morning, we didn't dare eat the breakfast, we kept our socks on, didn't take showers and even brushed our teeth with bottled water. Warning Don't stay here the front desk didn't even know that the phone was missing in the room.

More about Alexander Thomson

Absoloute Disgusting

This has got to be the filthiest hotel i have stayed in it is described as clean rooms modern facilities great food.Well i can tell you not one of those descriptions is correct I stayed 2 nights and that was to long the room was absoloutely freezing cold i told the front desk they said they would get it fixed but never did.Food was disgusting furniture in the room was filthy as was the bathroom all they seemed to care about was getting your money then they didn,t give a damm about you.So if you are looking for a hotel in Glasgow give this one a wide berth it is a flea pit ,rancid, absoloutely disgusting you would be as well sleeping on the streets as at this hotel.

Go elsewhere!

Here's just a small example of problems we experienced in the lovely (not) hotel we stayed in for two nights!

* Put switch on, on towel rail and it fell on floor
(wires then exposed!)
* No shower curtain!
* No headboard on bed, or bedside cabinet
* Key would not open door - Manager gave us row(?!)
* Over bearing smell of paint in room (paint on carpet, down front of t.v. etc!)
* Women on reception desk could barely speak English, so, consequently.....
* Found after one night our things had been removed out of room and put down in reception
* Shower not high enough to stand under and no plug in sink!
* The buildings surrounding the hotel is boarded up!
At least the breakfast was fine!!

hotel from hell

by TripAdvisor Member travelingminstral

I booked into this hotel late in the evening as I had missed my lift back home and expected to spend a comforable night in with all the usual expectations of a city centre hotel,how wrong can one be?the receptionist could hardly speak English and could only grunt when I asked for directions to my room,I ended up getting the rickity lift that was slamming against the front of the doors each floor it past,terrifying,even more terrifying was the state of the room,dirty stained carpets that had not seen a hoover in months,grey dust ridden toweling,burst and abomnable stained `blood`by the looks of it mattresses,plural as this was two singles put together on the double bed.then the toilet facilities,what a joke,the shower head was broken,the sink overflowed because there was no plug and the pipe was blocked,it was unbelievable,there were cracked and broken tiles abundant,and the place was infested with mould,which also stunk to high heaven,I decided it would be best to sleep on top of the bed with the quilt under me and use the sinlge beds quilt to keep me warm,I then went to use the phone to call reception to get someone to at least fix the sink,guess what? phone was out of order too,just like the bleeding hotel.I went down to the reception and was grudgingly told by the turban wearing chap that there was nothing he could do about it at this late hour as there was no night porter or maintenance man on duty.I decided enough is enough,I got my money back and fleed out of there as fast as I could and found another hotel right across the road that would put this excuse for a hotel to shame for less than 5 pounds more.shame shame shame on the proprietors of this shambolic midden of a hotel,and shame on the turban wearing receptionist for his lack of manners and attitude towards guests,will ye no come back again?will I hell

Better Than Expected!!!!

Firstly the location, its fantastic. It was really easy to get there from the airport and only a minute walk from central station. I hadn't heard great things about it but was pleasantly surprised with what i got. the room was small but clean. The bed was comfortable and very clean. the carpet and wallpaper seemed a bit old but were still in good condition. the bathroom was very clean and the shower was the best shower i ever had in a hotel.

The staff at the hotel are very nice and extremely helpful and will try to answer all your questions. Plus the fact that the hotel had a 24 hour reception was really handy. The bar is currently under reconstruction but there is plenty of pubs in Glasgow to choose from! Unfortunately I never got to sample the breakfast.

I would recommend this hotel to people who intend to stay for a short trip, football match, shopping etc.

The Alexander Thomson suited us just fine!

We were encouraged by the friendly, courteous front desk staff to view the room before checking in to ensure that it was suitable. It was clean and tidy as was the ensuite toilet/shower. The window overlooked the front street and, for a city-center hotel, had a pleasant view. The proximity to the train station was convenient for us as we were travelling by train. We found a nice pub nearby to have an evening meal, knowing that the Thomson is a B&B, not a full service hotel, which is reflected in the relatively inexpensive cost of staying there. The breakfast room was also clean and the buffet-style breakfast had a good assortment of the usual and expected food choices. Our only complaint, and it's a minor one, was the 'loop' background music playing while we ate - it would drive a person to distraction if one stayed too long!
All in all, a good value for the money compared to the other dozen or so B&Bs we stayed at during our time in the UK.

good value for money

myself and a friend stayed here for 3 nights, we found the staff very helpfull, our towels were changed daily as was our bed linen. As for the smell of paint, i dont know of any paint that doesnt smell when it has just been done, anything we phoned reception for we were given it.Yes the rooms were basic but we have been in rooms costing £80 a night that were just the same, Breakfast was better than your average holiday inn as we had a cooked breakfast at this hotel, we will certainly go back again

Great room, great breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member jc7679

My boyfriend and I stayed the long weekend end of May 2006 at Alexander Thompson and was really surprised to read the previous reviews that said it was a disgusting hotel. Our room was clean and unexpectedly huge, the double bed was more comfortable than ours at home and had clean soft linen, we had huge french door style windows and a massive clean bathroom (no leaks, no drainage or toilet issues). It was much more than I expected for a 1 to 2 star hotel, and the unlimited hot english breakfasts filled us up well into the afternoon. Its location is fantastic - we thought it was supposed to be on top of a nightclub and beside the Glasgow Central station (ie. lots of noise through the night) but instead found it was a minute or two from the station so it was perfectly located for nightlife/shopping. It's certainly no five star palace, but for a clean, pleasant and bit-better-than-no-frills place this is perfect and I would definitely stay there again. The staff were pleasant and helpful at all times. The rate for a double room posted in the hotel is £80, but we booked ours for £40 per night for the room by shopping around different hotel websites. I think the place must have been refurbished or changed management since the recent bad reviews (or we were unwittingly given the dead-body room hence the cheap price for great room - doubt it though). I'd definitely stay here again.

Basic Clean Hotel Well Situated in the Centre of Glasgow

by TripAdvisor Member keitharmstrong

If your looking for a very basic clean hotel in the heart of the city centre of Glasgow this is the place to go. My wife, son and myslef stayed in both a double and single room and we have no complaints what so ever. It was clean, very friendly and very reasonable. It is ideally situated for both the centre shopping as well as the local rail service. Everything is within walking distance and the staff are extremely friendly. The local indian restaurant the Spice Garden is a must. I have stayed in many hotels (4 star +) and I think for the numberof stars (2) that this hotel is given it is very much under rated. If your looking for a cheap, clean and friendly location in Glasgow this is the place to go!

Comments