106 -108 Brunswick Street, Merchant City, Glasgow, G1 1TF, United Kingdom

Agoda.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

• Disappointing

Stayed here 2 nights. Photos on website of rooms very deceiving. Don't know where those rooms are but the room I got was in no way as nice. Room is so tiny, no where to put suitcases, can barely turn around in the bathroom. Odd location and very noisy if on the street side. Staff friendly enough but would not stay here again or recommend to my friends.

More about Brunswick Hotel

Feb 25, 2006

by TripAdvisor Member simpleisgood

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor we had mixed feelings about our arrival at this hotel. It took the taxi driver a while to locate the spot as it was on a side street in Merchant City. The front desk staff was very friendly and quickly checked us in.

The room was about as we expected minimalist with a touch of modern. Not much of a view but a nice huge window that faced Brunswick street and the upscale flats across the street. The bed was comfortable enough but nothing fancy and the decor was a little limited but clean.

The bath room was not the best but it also was clean.

The hotel is in a great location wedged between loads of great restaurants and pubs and the city center. We did not eat at the hotel but at Cafe Gandolfi around the corner (which was AMAZING), however the menu at the hotel restaurant looked tasty.

We did have several drinks in the bar downstairs. It was a trendy young crowd with a good mix of people and a great DJ in drag. Not for everyone but it was entertaining for us and they have a good beer selection.

Breakfast was limited to mixed toast, cheese, boxed cereal and juice, tea or coffee. It was adequate for us as we are not big breakfast eaters but it definately could use a little more excitement.

The hotel arranged for a taxi the next morning to the airport which was at a reasonable price and we checked in and out very easily.

I think I would stay at the Brunswick again but only as a second choice. It was a good value for the location though.

Small room, great location

by TripAdvisor Member DwGw

While the rooms were certainly small they were well appointed. The staff was fun and very helpful, even letting us in to our room early after a long flight. Breakfast was all cold goods but adequate. The best thing about this place was its location. Within walking distance of everything downtown but far enough away to be quiet at night. We would stay there again.

Overpriced rooms and arrogant unfriendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member Leonarduss

On arrival at the hotel the receptionist was incompetent and failed to calculate the price of the room properly. The rooms were definitely in need of modernisation and a lick of paint. The room was dark, airless with one small window facing onto a brick wall. We had one drink in the hotel bar which was okay and moderately priced. Our stay was blighted by rude unhelpfull and aggressive staff, including the hotel manager. I wrote a letter of complaint and I have never received a response from the manager. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. Bad luck to the people who are given the impression that Scottish people are this unfriendly. There are so many nicer hotels to stay in in Glasgow. Please skip this one!

Great location, terrible hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member mf29

Based upon the impressive descriptions from the website of contemporary spaces and opulent décor, we eagerly booked this hotel for a weekend away celebrating our friends impending nuptials. We decided to book the penthouse alongside a buffet to celebrate in style… what a disappointment!
On arriving at 11am we were unable to book into any of the 6 rooms until 2pm (we had been up since 6am!)
Although the double rooms were adequate the pent house was a huge let down.
Its had no double bed, the bath had cigarette burns, there is one shower for six people and the taps in the two bathrooms came away from the sink. The furniture and rugs were worn and dirty and the TV barely worked. None of the keys for the fifth floor worked leaving one key between six.
When we asked for champagne glasses to be sent up to the room we were rudely told by the hotel manager that they did not supply this service as they do not have a licence for guests to drink their own alcohol. We had not been informed about this previously. He stormed off leaving a very embarrassed receptionist who did her best to help us. We ended up having to pay corkage.. They hire the penthouse for parties yet complained about the music from the CD player they supplied us. Breakfast is very poor, a few boxed cereals and toast with mini cheeses is all that is offered. No hearty scottish brekkies on that menu.
This hotel is in a great location and has great potential but is in need of a refub and new management. Glasgow made up for the hotel – great night out, great city.

Great Location - Would stay again.

by TripAdvisor Member Peedyfeet

We Stayed here for 2 nights (Friday & Saturday as we were going to a concert in the Barrowlands Ballroom.

We Found the Hotel difficult to find as it is not well advertised, however we called from the car and the receptionist came out onto Brunswick Street to find us, you can drive along in front of the hotel but there isn't any parking.

The receptionist directed us to the car park which is on Albion Street and gave us a ticket which enables you to get a discount - you don't need this ticket before you go to the car park but you do need it when paying, so remember to ask for one when you checkout!

After we had parked and got to the hotel we were given the key card to our room but not actually shown the way - it is quite confusing, we were on the first floor and when we got out of the lift we were greeted with a giant number 1 on a door - eventually after about 5 minutes we worked out this was entry onto level 1 and not room 1! (The decor didn't help matters - bright red gloss paint on the ceiling and walls and a red carpet to match! - not much lighting either :-)

The room it's self was fine for our needs as we only used the hotel as a base - the decor is dated - our room was a mixture of dark purple and green - the bathroom was worse - brown tiles on the wall and a green floor - but it was all lovely and clean and the towels were changed during our stay.
The room was directly over the bar and the music was very loud so take some earplugs!
The only problem with the room was the bed - it was really comfy but really short! I'm only 5"3 and my feet were poking out of the end - I managed a good nights sleep so it didn't affect me that much.

The shower, bath and toilet were all in good working order.

The breakfast here really is a sorry affair - it is nothing more that cereal, toast and if your lucky a croissant, we knew it was continental style before we stayed but on the Sunday morning I could have gone for a full Scottish!

There are loads of places to eat nearby and the hotel is in a fab location - right in the City Centre - we had a lovely meal at a restaurant called MAO - if you go out of the hotel and turn left it's right on front of you. I would say it is Indonesian style, the food is quite spicy but so fresh and tasty - good price as well.

We found the staff to be helpful and friendly at this hotel and we would stay here again – After reading the reviews we did try to change our hotel but all the others were fully booked but to be honest I’m glad we stayed here, as it was fine for our needs.
I would agree with the comments that the hotel needs some updating and it is overpriced but it’s in a great location and that’s probably what you are paying for.

I would recommend this hotel but only if you are using it as a base to see the City/Special Event and not planning to spend allot of time in the room ordering room service - 'cause there isn't any!!

Nice location, could use some updating

by TripAdvisor Member Caradoc

We stayed in the Brunswick 2 Nov through 5 Nov (three nights) on our honeymoon.

While we liked the location of the hotel (easy walking to several locations, including Sauchiehall St.) the stay wasn't really all that pleasant.

We arrived late, having driven past the hotel twice and being forced to find our way around downtown Glasgow in the maze of one-way streets.

The signage isn't easy to spot, especially when concealed behind the gathering of smokers immediately outside the door, spilling over from the bar/pub next door.

The first room that we were given had what felt like a box spring, not a mattress. Springs were literally poking us all night, but we decided to make a go of it and work things out in the morning despite the fact that the hallway reeked of cigarette smoke.

In the morning, the very helpful desk staff arranged for us to move to another room. Facing the street, it had a view of the coffee shop directly across the road. However, the mattress was only a mild improvement, and we needed to get the hotel staff to arrange for the heat to be fixed before spending our third night there.

The rooms could definitely use some paint. The shower and tub stalls could also use some work, as the soapdish would fall off the wall if one so much as touched it.

The hotel lists free Wi-Fi internet access, but it did not work on any floors above the second. So, we ended up connecting while sitting in the bar or at the front desk.

Overall, we don't think we'll be returning to the Brunswick at any time in the foreseeable future.

Don't waste your money

by TripAdvisor Member Chilaili

My father actually booked this hotel for me and my mother to stay in while we were visiting Glasgow a couple of years ago. He did not know anything about the hotel when he made the reservation and I still don't have the heart to tell him how horrible our stay was.

The room we stayed in was a joke! We had one queen-size bed for the two of us and the bed took up 99% of the room. The tiny TV was on a shelf about 6" from the ceiling and at right angles to the bed so you had to sit sideways on the bed and look straight up in the air to watch it. The bathroom was so tiny I had my feet in the shower stall when I used the lavatory. (If you do stay here I highly recommend you take a look at the room before you agree to it.) On top of this, the first night we were there we were kept awake until 4AM! by the noise from the nightclub in the basement - something we were not told about - and then we could hear all the empty bottles being thrown in the skip across the street at the construction site as the staff tided up. The street outside the hotel is used as a thro-way from the main roads so cars were racing up and down all night both nights we stayed. When we told the staff about our horrendous first night, they lamely said "Sorry" but wouldn't refund our money or offer to move us to a higher floor.

The only good thing about this place is its central location and the bistro bar next door that does reasonably good food. Otherwise I wouldn't stay here ever again. Two years later and I still have nightmares about it!

Don't believe the hype!

by TripAdvisor Member AllanGlasgow

I stayed in this hotel on New Year's Eve, to give an ideal city centre location as a base for enjoying the New Year in Glasgow. The location could not be faulted. I thought I knew the hotel reasonably well as I have eaten in the bar a few times and it has always been a reasonably friendly/ funky environment. The room descriptions on the web site seemed to back this up. However, the reality was more budget than boutique. The room was basic with many of the usual trimmings missing. The heating did not work - we were promised that it would be fixed or an alternative heating source would be supplied - but nothing happened. All in, it was a very disappointing experience. The hotel either has to re-focus and re-price at the bottom end of the market, or spend some serious money to match its inflated view of itself.

Great place, great people

by TripAdvisor Member SallyUK

I was organising a hen weekend for 15 girls so I wanted somewhere cool, laid back and centrally located. This hotel came recommended and it lived up to the hype in my opinion. Admittedly there were a few glitches on arrival (a broken lamp and a room key that didn't work) but the staff sorted it out promptly and with a smile.

In fact I was delighted with the friendly staff who helped massively throughout the lead-up to our stay and our actual visit. Some of the group stayed in the Penthouse Suite which is HUGE and is better than the pics on the hotel's website give it credit for. It sleeps six (in double or twin beds) with lots of room for privacy so would be ideal for a group of people or couples to have a base for partying!

The restaurant there is excellent for an informal/funky night with great simple food. And there is a small nightclub in the basement for those that fancy it with a good-looking crowd attending...for those that don't fancy it the sound-proofing works a treat and the rooms remain quiet.

I'd recommend this hotel to a younger crowd who want to be centrally located and want somewhere a bit 'special' but that isn't too stuffy or pretentious. I'd definintely return.

Comments