Carlton George Hotel

Food and Dining
See Amenities
crazyman2's Profile Photo

can do better!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 12, 2007

Several days here. Mmm. We arrived late morning and of course our room wasn't ready. The hotel hadn't given us a check-in time. They did not offer to look after our bags but they did suggest that we could grab a coffee in the Windows restaurant.

The hotel room was reasonably comfortable although we needed fresh air. The room faced a building site and a busy city road and so an open window was a no no! We tried the air-con. It didn't work. A portable unit was brought to our room. This machine was a noisy, rattly contraption. Still, it worked!

The lounge area was very smokey and extremely noisy: there were many people staying as part of a Hen weekend and also there was a Stag weekend group. The hotel discourages these as best it can.

Windows was a good experience for a one-off BUT I ate four meals in there (not inc. breakfast) and I noticed a lot of recycling of food going on and the menu hardly varied from day to day. The wine list was rather limited. Sure, I could have gone somewhere else but I needed to be close to that part of Glasgow for other reasons.

We complained whilst staying, whilst checking-out and in writing. The hotel offered us a special deal if we would try it again. When we phoned to check this out some months later we were informed that there was no record of our complaint ---even though we had written to the CEO in Holland. The manager said that there could possibly be a free meal and a discounted stay for us if we stayed more than one night. I contacted 'Which?' who informed me that the hotel were responding within their rights. Well, there we are!

Unique Quality: Great views from Windows. Also the decor in the bedroom.

Directions: In the city centre

one of the best

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 15, 2006

The restaurant on the roof on a clear day is superb and although i didn't stay my friend who was there and invited me to lunch had a great room like a mini suite but for me the food alone was a superb insight to the qulity abounding this new establishment

Unique Quality: Large spacious rooms,excellent restaurant.

Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Well, I ALMOST stayed there

by written on January 12, 2005

Let's just say that this wasn't the best hotel experience I had during my Scotland trip. I made the hotel reservation myself back in October and planned on staying in this hotel during Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day. When I arrived at the hotel, however, it was raining and sleeting and very cold and the as soon as I walked in the door the very rude woman at the desk said, "What do you want?" When I told her that I had reservations she proceeded to tell me that the hotel was closing that day and wouldn't be open until after Christmas. I had already paid for three nights and I asked her if my money would be refunded. She said no and told me that my travel agent should have let me know that my reservations had been cancelled. When I informed her that I had made my reservations through their website she became very volatile and insisted that the hotel hadn't done anything wrong. Finally, they moved me to another hotel, the Malmasion, where we were treated wonderfully.

Unique Quality: From what I saw of the lobby, it seemed to be a very pleasant hotel. There was nice firing burning anyway. About a five minute (or less) walk from the Queen Street train station and less than ten minutes to Sauchihall and shopping.

Nearby Carlton George Hotel

• Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Glasgow Travel Forum

Need advice about Glasgow, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Glasgow and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Glasgow hotel reviews

New Year/Hogmanay
Local Customs
Dino's
Restaurants
Glasgow's oldest family run Italian restaurant
A Sunday night out