44 W George St, Glasgow, G2 1DH, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• crazyman2's Profile Photo

can do better!

Several days here. Mmm. We arrived late morning and of course our room wasn't ready. The hotel hadn't given us a check-in time. They did not offer to look after our bags but they did suggest that we could grab a coffee in the Windows restaurant.

The hotel room was reasonably comfortable although we needed fresh air. The room faced a building site and a busy city road and so an open window was a no no! We tried the air-con. It didn't work. A portable unit was brought to our room. This machine was a noisy, rattly contraption. Still, it worked!

The lounge area was very smokey and extremely noisy: there were many people staying as part of a Hen weekend and also there was a Stag weekend group. The hotel discourages these as best it can.

Windows was a good experience for a one-off BUT I ate four meals in there (not inc. breakfast) and I noticed a lot of recycling of food going on and the menu hardly varied from day to day. The wine list was rather limited. Sure, I could have gone somewhere else but I needed to be close to that part of Glasgow for other reasons.

We complained whilst staying, whilst checking-out and in writing. The hotel offered us a special deal if we would try it again. When we phoned to check this out some months later we were informed that there was no record of our complaint ---even though we had written to the CEO in Holland. The manager said that there could possibly be a free meal and a discounted stay for us if we stayed more than one night. I contacted 'Which?' who informed me that the hotel were responding within their rights. Well, there we are!

Unique Quality: Great views from Windows. Also the decor in the bedroom.

Directions: In the city centre

• one of the best

The restaurant on the roof on a clear day is superb and although i didn't stay my friend who was there and invited me to lunch had a great room like a mini suite but for me the food alone was a superb insight to the qulity abounding this new establishment

Unique Quality: Large spacious rooms,excellent restaurant.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Well, I ALMOST stayed there

Let's just say that this wasn't the best hotel experience I had during my Scotland trip. I made the hotel reservation myself back in October and planned on staying in this hotel during Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day. When I arrived at the hotel, however, it was raining and sleeting and very cold and the as soon as I walked in the door the very rude woman at the desk said, "What do you want?" When I told her that I had reservations she proceeded to tell me that the hotel was closing that day and wouldn't be open until after Christmas. I had already paid for three nights and I asked her if my money would be refunded. She said no and told me that my travel agent should have let me know that my reservations had been cancelled. When I informed her that I had made my reservations through their website she became very volatile and insisted that the hotel hadn't done anything wrong. Finally, they moved me to another hotel, the Malmasion, where we were treated wonderfully.

Unique Quality: From what I saw of the lobby, it seemed to be a very pleasant hotel. There was nice firing burning anyway. About a five minute (or less) walk from the Queen Street train station and less than ten minutes to Sauchihall and shopping.

More about Carlton George Hotel

Nice view, small portions, poor service

by boydy about Windows Restaurant (Carlton George Hotel)

Nice view from the top floor of this hotel but unfortunately that's about all I can say that was positive about it. Oh, and the bread they bring before your starter is good, but they take ages to do it and it's clearly so you don't feel your order is taking forever. When it did come, the food was far from hot (although my ice cream later on was rather too warm), the lamb was rubbery and there were a clear 25 minutes between finishing starters and the main courses being brought. People who came in long after us were served before us, which is one of my pet hates. I had the corn-fed chicken on buttery noodles with stir-fried vegetables and barbecue sauce. It was tasty but cold.

The pineapple tart with coconut ice-cream and chocolate sauce was very good, though, although the ice-cream wasn't quite cold enough (had been sitting under a hot-lamp)

Locked in a Timewarp

by TripAdvisor Member Perfecthotelsearch

We stayed at the Carlton George Hotel in Glasgow whilst on a weekend break to my home town of Glasgow in January 2006. How disappointing the hotel was. Upon entering the hotel it appeared on the dark side to me, i.e. dark stained almost black wood everywhere. When we entered our room it was so dark that we had to put on all of the lights, 2 bedside lamps, a floor lamp, a desk lamp and still the room was dark. When I unpacked the wardrobe was like the black hole of calcutta I couldn't see any of the shelves as the bulb had gone! When I looked out of the window I realised why the room was so dark and dingy! We were overlooked by what can only be described the side of a building from a bygone age! It was horrible-so dark and depressing. The room was so warm that I opened the window and to our horror the whole window appeared to turn inwards and was being held in place with one solitary pin. I dread to think if a child had been playing with the window catch what might have happened. My husband held the window (which was quite a large load to hold) whilst I called reception and explained this situation. Ten full minutes later someone came to "fix it". We asked to be moved to another room but this was not possible as the hotel was full. Apart from the window incident the entire hotel is in need of a total refurbishment and not a day too soon. I noticed tears in the bedcover, cracks in the floor tiles in the bathroom and scuff marks along most of the wall upon entering the room. The dining room was also disappointing. I can't stand when you are asked if you would like tea or coffee and instead of bringing you a pot to suit they serve you a measly cup, half warm and the tea so strong that with each cup we had to ask for hot water. I would definitely not recommend this hotel unless you are into complimentary drinks and free minibars-I think if the Carlton George cut back what they must spend on clients drink bills and use the money for refurbishment there would be a lot better reviews of this hotel!!

Very Comfortable, Friendly, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Londonmammoth2

Our young family had a club room with a view of West George Street. The room was spacious, well-furnished, bright and comfortable. The bedroom and bathroom facilities were very good, the beds were very comfortable with high standard bedding and pillows. There was a free minibar and large decanters of spirits. The decor was rather traditional in style but everything appeared quite new and well-maintained.

We only stayed one night; but we found the hotel staff friendly and helpful. An excellent breakfast was served on the 7th floor restaurant with its great views of Glasgow rooftops. The waiting staff went out of their way to ensure we got the breakfast we wanted. We had dinner at the excellent Bar Mao oriental restaurant about 10 minutes walk away.

The hotel is very well located right next to George Square, with many bars and restaurants nearby.

I was going to deduct one 'star' because the only negative point was that the hotel has no parking facilities of its own, and the nearest public car parks are about 5-10 minutes walk away. But then I decided not to be mean, because we had a good time!

Unmatched in Many Areas

by TripAdvisor Member ATLconsultant

I was here for an entire month straight. So, if you want an objective review from someone who only got a snapshot of the hotel, you should find this review helpful.

First, I have to say that the manager, Lucy, has done an exceptional job with this property. I understand that she's only been a head manager for a few years now. If this is true, she's in for one meteoric career.

My hats off to the wonderful staff who made every day (even weekends) absolutely terrific. To Allister, Donald, Colin, Jeff, Alessandro, Graham, Thomas, and others whom I've obviously left out.

Best service bar none for an entire month. And great property as well. Will definitely be back, for pleasure if not for business!

nice hotel in good location

by TripAdvisor Member mairebeth

just back from staying 2 nights in this hotel. the hotel staff are excellent, very efficient and pleaseant. our room was on the 3rd floor and our only complaint was the room was very stuffy. the room also had a complimentary mini bar and complimentary drinks and biscuits were again served in the bar on the 7th floor. the hotel is spotlessly clean througout and it is in a great location for shopping sightseeing etc. breakfast was good and was served in the main restaurant with great views of the city of glasgow.

Great location and staff!

by TripAdvisor Member janemilyd

I arrived in Glasgow on October 3, 2005, and went immediately to my prearranged hotel, the Carleton George. I had selected it for its four stars, and its proximity to Queens Train Station. I was so early, about 8:30am, that I did not think my room would be ready. To my very pleasant surprise, as I was already so weary from my long flight from California, my room was ready, and I can tell you it was a joy to be taken to my very comfortable abode for the next three days. That night I ate in the hotel restaurant, more of a bistro, and had the best salmon I have ever eaten in my life! Grilled to perfection, along with the vegetables. Breakfast in the same room was very good, and the view from the top of the hotel room was excellent of Glasgow, either night or day. My own room view was not of anything special, but I did get natural light. I cannot say enough about the staff, who were ever ready to assist me - I really had a very bad case of jet lag this trip, and appreciated all their TLC. I would not want to stay anywhere else if/when I return to Glasgow.

disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member kizzibee

Very old fashioned and tired hotel. I was very disappointed by the room, it was dark and gloomy and the view was of a brick wall. It could do with a revamp. The food was nothing special. The city inn is so much better.

Comments